Beef is good but it costs - Page 3 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beef is good but it costs

Old 12-16-2018, 04:59 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Default Re: Beef is good but it costs

But do you bleed every month .beav?
Old 12-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xtrac1 View Post
The environmental impact is significant. Growing food to feed them and the water they need from birth to slaughter is something to consider.
the above statement assumes that you can only grow beef in a confinement/feedlot system, which isn't true.

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
The huge environmental impact is why I went vegetarian. Coming up on two years and super happy about it
you would be better off buying meat from a grass/pasture based operation than eating vegetarian, if the environment is what you are worried about. the tillage needed to supply a vegetarian diet is extremely detrimental to the soil and water ways. its not karma free with regard to killing animals - 1000s of animals are killed when annual crops are harvested (ever see a deer fawn caught in a combine?)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
the above statement assumes that you can only grow beef in a confinement/feedlot system, which isn't true.

you would be better off buying meat from a grass/pasture based operation than eating vegetarian, if the environment is what you are worried about. the tillage needed to supply a vegetarian diet is extremely detrimental to the soil and water ways. its not karma free with regard to killing animals - 1000s of animals are killed when annual crops are harvested (ever see a deer fawn caught in a combine?)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:26 AM
*Bounty Hunter*

Last edited by Mark; 02-16-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:47 AM
talks to himself

Modern consumption habits drive feedlot useage as production means, though.

Also water useage and green house gas production.

You're more in the know than I am so I'm not trying to refute you. It's not really possible for me to sound smart on this subject. I'm a moderate in every thing anyways. All things in moderation.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:59 AM
816d16 owes me money!

I've noticed a lot of people actually switching to red meat only diets and having great health benefits from it. It's weird to me, but it seems to work for many.

I've actually started increasing my beef intake via beef patties. I started buying Costco beef patties in bulk and eating 2-3 a day with my rice.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Reigning GDD Queen

I can't cut out meat, my will is too weak for that; but I've at least managed to mostly stop eating beef, save for once a week.

Here's hoping for some lab-grown steaks sometime in the near future. ^^
Old 12-17-2018, 12:05 PM
HT White Ops

To get Kiwi to come back all we need to do is talk about meat? Seems obvious now that I think about it
Old 12-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Reigning GDD Queen

Sometimes the truth is right where you expect it to be, you just didn't look.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Cole Trickle

Does pasture raised beef cut pollution by 70%? And how much land would be necessary to provide grass/pasture based beef to the population at large?

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
I've noticed a lot of people actually switching to red meat only diets and having great health benefits from it. It's weird to me, but it seems to work for many.

I've actually started increasing my beef intake via beef patties. I started buying Costco beef patties in bulk and eating 2-3 a day with my rice.
In a shocking twist, paying any attention to your diet will generally lead to improvements. Rocket science, I know.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:38 PM
footwork mastery

Last night I got chicken, shrimp and fish instead of a steak for this week to try being better. Sorry moo moos
Old 12-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam View Post
Modern consumption habits drive feedlot useage as production means, though.
Also water useage and green house gas production.
You're more in the know than I am so I'm not trying to refute you. It's not really possible for me to sound smart on this subject. I'm a moderate in every thing anyways. All things in moderation.
I agree that modern consumption habits drive confinement operations. I would say that if people would rather eat meat that is good for the environment, find a pasture based operation and give them your money.
almost all of the anti beef/red meat talk is always about feed lots (and they do suck) and never acknowledges the good a cow does. I just want pastured based meats to be an option vs saying don't eat any meat.
cattle managed correctly can be a net benefit to the land.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:23 PM
816d16 owes me money!

In a shocking twist, paying any attention to your diet will generally lead to improvements. Rocket science, I know.
The "shocking twist" is it being an ALL BEEF diet. You're not going to find many scientists, rocket including....that would advise that.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does pasture raised beef cut pollution by 70%?
define beef pollution?
I would argue there are lots of example of people raising beef that are carbon negative. with modern technology, managing cows to mimic what natural herds do isn't hard- hell its not even new or novel.

you cant look at the shittiest way to raise animals (feed lot) and say its the animal that the problem. nowhere in nature will you see anything that even resembles a feed lot, that is a human creation.

And how much land would be necessary to provide grass/pasture based beef to the population at large?
a lot of land. but here is the thing - VAST swathes of last are not suited to tillage agriculture. on large swathes of arid land, I would argue the only thing that can sustain the population is herds of herbivores.
we should grow perennial crops in areas where rainfall exceeds evaporation and grow animals in areas that do not support those systems of agriculture.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:49 PM
talks to himself

I agree that modern consumption habits drive confinement operations. I would say that if people would rather eat meat that is good for the environment, find a pasture based operation and give them your money.
almost all of the anti beef/red meat talk is always about feed lots (and they do suck) and never acknowledges the good a cow does. I just want pastured based meats to be an option vs saying don't eat any meat.
Thanks for the clarification!

Got me looking at where our cyclocross team buys its meat. What's the difference between "pasture raised" and "grazed freely"? Pen size? Mud pen where grass is thrown in but not grown? I'm seeing the choice wording on the info site for the source farms our butcher gets meat from.

Also, agreed on last statement. Falls in line with the "everything in moderation" statement I made.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam View Post
Thanks for the clarification!

Got me looking at where our cyclocross team buys its meat. What's the difference between "pasture raised" and "grazed freely"? Pen size? Mud pen where grass is thrown in but not grown? I'm seeing the choice wording on the info site for the source farms our butcher gets meat from.
glad to help.
most people agree with the pastures based model - it just takes a bit of explaining to get people to understand the benefits.

not sure about the wording differences. link me the site and I will take a look.
it sounds like they are pasture based with a bit of creative marketing/wording. as long as they raise animals on pasture, rotate the animals to different areas and feed a natural diet, that is 80% of the way there IMO

Old 12-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
The "shocking twist" is it being an ALL BEEF diet. You're not going to find many scientists, rocket including....that would advise that.
The only thing they're eating is beef? Yeah they'll be a drain on the health industry big time in the next few years. When your premiums go up you can thank them and anti-vaxxers
Old 12-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't eat meat.
But it is fine if you do.

I tend to be on the same page as ford9n, insofar as thinking feedlots are terrible, and a herd well managed can be an asset.
I am curious if the idyllic model is us all eating locally available seasonal goods, with a heavier emphasis on a rounded diet, with a lower meat consumption in general.

Are goats also beneficial in the same ways cows are?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Triller831 View Post
I don't eat meat.
But it is fine if you do.

I tend to be on the same page as ford9n, insofar as thinking feedlots are terrible, and a herd well managed can be an asset.
I am curious if the idyllic model is us all eating locally available seasonal goods, with a heavier emphasis on a rounded diet, with a lower meat consumption in general.

Are goats also beneficial in the same ways cows are?

yes, goats can be beneficial. they eat more trees/brush than cows, and those plants generally have a longer recovery times (vs grass) - so goats take a bit more land.
its easy to overgraze with goats.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In the long term, eating locally sourced seasonal foods would make regional cuisine much more defined.

Pretty much like it is in many rural areas where food is "authentic".

I think the issue is the percieved expense of convience and dollar costs.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Oracle of GDD

Does pasture raised beef cut pollution by 70%? And how much land would be necessary to provide grass/pasture based beef to the population at large?
If we really want to de-incentivize beef consumption, we can reduce or remove the subsidies. Beef would skyrocket in price and demand would crater.

Do this in increments, over time, and we can get somewhere. But trying to convert people isn't gonna work.

The only thing they're eating is beef? Yeah they'll be a drain on the health industry big time in the next few years. When your premiums go up you can thank them and anti-vaxxers
Jordan Peterson and his daughter apparently cured all of their very serious health issues by eating only beef, salt, and water.

Originally Posted by Triller831 View Post
In the long term, eating locally sourced seasonal foods would make regional cuisine much more defined.

Pretty much like it is in many rural areas where food is "authentic".

I think the issue is the percieved expense of convience and dollar costs.
The reason our food supply is so homogenized? Cheap fuel.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:31 PM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
If we really want to de-incentivize beef consumption, we can reduce or remove the subsidies. Beef would skyrocket in price and demand would crater.

Do this in increments, over time, and we can get somewhere. But trying to convert people isn't gonna work.
A solid idea, I'm down.

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Jordan Peterson and his daughter apparently cured all of their very serious health issues by eating only beef, salt, and water.
I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but I honestly lol'd.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:47 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

You’ll kill the corn and soy industries as well, and the dairy industry

Old 12-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
You’ll kill the corn and soy industries as well, and the dairy industry
Trump already killed soy.
Dairy bad.
Are we taking the ethanol out of my gas? I'm down to kill that too.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:45 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Stopped eating red meat years ago. Switched to chicken, fish, and use ground turkey instead of ground beef in everything. Can't even tell the difference.

Now if I ever indulge in a burger or any portion of red meat, I feel like complete *** for the rest of the day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.