Astronomy/Science/Future related - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Astronomy/Science/Future related

Old 09-19-2018, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Astronomy/Science/Future related

So as stated on numerous astronomy and science outlets, the Human Race has approximately 1 Billion years left before they are forced to live on another planet or parish. The Sun plays a big role in this because in 1 Billion years it will be essentially burning our earth to a crisp.....4 billion more years after earth is burned the sun will also disappear.

Too bad we wont be alive to see what happens, but with what we know now (which will obviously be minimal in comparison to what we know in a million years) what planet will be live on? Mars?

Will Artificial Intelligence Continue running planet Earth long after humans are extinct?
Old 09-19-2018, 04:55 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Default Re: Astronomy/Science/Future related

Funny this thread is popping up. Anyways, Saturday I looked up and noticed this twinkling object, after a quick research it turns out it's Sirius (not the golden era honda investor). It's actually a binary star system. I'm not an astronomer and i'll leave it at that. I just found it fascinating for something that is thousand of light years away is able to illuminate for humans to witness.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:55 AM
aka DaZman69!

1) Mars lol? How about the entire milky way galaxy. We will have expanded throughout the galaxy. Who gives a **** about earth.

2)Solution to save earth....Build Self replicating robots, robots can build mirrors or solar collectors using material from other bodies in our solar system, create a dyson swarm which is trillions of these solar collectors orbiting around the sun. Sun’s energy output to our planet reduced and we can collect most of it’s energy. I think we actually have several billion years until the sun is actually touching our planet. We wouldn’t have to move until close to then.

3) In a billion years we will literally have the energy to move the ******* earth further away from the sun.

4) there are like 100 different ways earth is not fucked. We’re going to be fine
Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 AM
0x5359-0055

We'll be long dead as a species before then, you heard it here first
Old 09-19-2018, 05:00 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
1) Mars lol? How about the entire milky way galaxy. We will have expanded throughout the galaxy. Who gives a **** about earth.

2)Solution to save earth....Build Self replicating robots, robots can build mirrors or solar collectors using material from other bodies in our solar system, create a dyson swarm which is trillions of these solar collectors orbiting around the sun. Sun’s energy output to our planet reduced and we can collect most of it’s energy. I think we actually have several billion years until the sun is actually touching our planet. We wouldn’t have to move until close to then.

3) In a billion years we will literally have the energy to move the ******* earth further away from the sun.

4) there are like 100 different ways earth is not fucked. We’re going to be fine
I like your wild thinking, but be rational and realistic. How in the hell can this b done? Man can't even contral/break the path of a hurricane

Old 09-19-2018, 05:01 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
We'll be long dead as a species before then, you heard it here first
nah, as soon as we’re a 2 planet species we’re good

we’ll be a 2 planet species in what 150-200 years?

then maybe another 3-400 until we can expand to another star system.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:04 AM
Pork is NOT a verb!

The human race has zero chance of lasting a billion years. Either we will be extinct or we will no longer resemble what we think of as "human" long before that.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:05 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
I like your wild thinking, but be rational and realistic. How in the hell can this b done? Man can't even contral/break the path of a hurricane
Tow the moon in the specific way that pulls the earth with it’s gravity. It would be a slow process that might take 1000’s of years, but it’ll be way faster than the expansion of the sun. I mean 1000 years is nothing in terms of planetary survival.

we’ll probably have anti-matter rockets by then
Old 09-19-2018, 05:06 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

The first thing the human race must work on achieving is a type 1 civilization/
Old 09-19-2018, 05:10 AM
Resident Hoser #1

I love science. I'm actually working on something right now...
Old 09-19-2018, 05:11 AM
aka DaZman69!

We had the ability to like 10-20% light speed back in the 70’s.

it was literally a space ship propelled by dropping tiny nukes under a pusher plate.

only reason we never did it is because of the publics fear of nuclear bombs

-project orion
Old 09-19-2018, 05:12 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
The first thing the human race must work on achieving is a type 1 civilization/
yeah fusion will get us there before the people in this forum are dead
Old 09-19-2018, 05:15 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by malix View Post
The human race has zero chance of lasting a billion years. Either we will be extinct or we will no longer resemble what we think of as "human" long before that.
it has like a 99% chance

yeah we are going to look totally different, as a human on the other size of the galaxy will be so far removed from us that they will evolve on their own path. It will literally be like a sci-fi movie where you go to a differnet system these funny looking people will be there. There will just be 1000’s of different evolutionary paths.

This is all considering we will never surpass light speed travel.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Originally Posted by mixxed View Post
Will Artificial Intelligence Continue running planet Earth long after humans are extinct?
Sure. I think we're about a generation away from immortality.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 AM
Pork is NOT a verb!

It has like a 99% chance

yeah we are going to look totally different, as a human on the other size of the galaxy will be so far removed from us that they will evolve on their own path. It will literally be like a sci-fi movie where you go to a differnet system these funny looking people will be there. There will just be 1000’s of different evolutionary paths.

This is all considering we will never surpass light speed travel.

AI is going to change everything. We will have to make a choice, either we enhance ourselves with technology or we get replaced by it. Natural evolution as we know it isn't going to cut it.

I also think you're massively underestimating how long a billion years is. Anti-matter rockets? If that's all we've got in a billion years that'd be awful considering how much progress we've made in just the past few hundred years.

I wouldnt even give us a 99% chance of making it through the next century.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:32 AM
aka DaZman69!

AI is going to change everything. We will have to make a choice, either we enhance ourselves with technology or we get replaced by it. Natural evolution as we know it isn't going to cut it.

I also think you're massively underestimating how long a billion years is. Anti-matter rockets? If that's all we've got in a billion years that'd be awful considering how much progress we've made in just the past few hundred years.
We don’t know of anything possible with more energy than anti-matter. So yeah we might

there are limits to energy and limits to speed. So even if we have something better than anti-matter, it’s not going to be much faster.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:39 AM
aka DaZman69!

Imo I think there are limits to technology. The universe is not that complicated, I mean the human body is way more complicated. We’re without a doubt going to reach a technology limit. We’re not even close to it now, but we will be within a billion years.

Physics has limits.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 AM
aka DaZman69!

if faster than light travel were possible, the universe would have life literally everywhere
Old 09-19-2018, 06:12 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
Sure. I think we're about a generation away from immortality.
I agree, 25 years tops.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, I'm thinking Wall-E and Idiocracy are not too far off.

This is a fun article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...the_far_future

Here are some highlights:

50,000 years from now: According to Berger and Loutre, the current interglacial period ends[14] sending the Earth back into a glacial period of the current ice age, regardless of the effects of anthropogenic global warming.

500,000: Earth will likely have been hit by an asteroid of roughly 1 km in diameter, assuming it cannot be averted.[25]

1mil: Earth will likely have undergone a supervolcanic eruption large enough to erupt 3,200 km3 (770 cubic miles) of magma, an event comparable to the Toba supereruption 75,000 years ago.[20]

500mil: Estimated time until a gamma-ray burst, or massive, hyperenergetic supernova, occurs within 6,500 light-years of Earth; close enough for its rays to affect Earth's ozone layer and potentially trigger a mass extinction, assuming the hypothesis is correct that a previous such explosion triggered the Ordovician–Silurian extinction event. However, the supernova would have to be precisely oriented relative to Earth to have any negative effect.[55]

800mil: Carbon dioxide levels fall to the point at which C4 photosynthesis is no longer possible.[58] Without plant life to recycle oxygen in the atmosphere, free oxygen and the ozone layer will disappear from the atmosphere allowing for intense levels of deadly UV light to reach the surface. However, in their book The Life and Death of Planet Earth, authors Peter D. Ward and Donald Brownlee stated that some animal life may be able to survive in the oceans. Eventually, however, all multicellular life will die out.[62]The only life left on the Earth after this will be single celled bacteria.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:58 AM
The Science Guy

We don’t know of anything possible with more energy than anti-matter. So yeah we might

there are limits to energy and limits to speed. So even if we have something better than anti-matter, it’s not going to be much faster.
There is no antimatter lying around anywhere. To make it, you would have to use a particle accelerator, which needs electricity from a power plant. How much energy in antimatter you get from a particle accelerator will be less than the electricity that goes into it from the power plant. The limiting factor is the resources on earth.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:22 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by mixxed View Post
Butler's Jihad.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 AM
Grandpa

Καὶ πάλιν ἐρχόμενον μετὰ δόξης κρῖναι ζῶντας καὶ νεκρούς, οὗ τῆς βασιλείας οὐκ ἔσται τέλος.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by Xentropa View Post
There is no antimatter lying around anywhere. To make it, you would have to use a particle accelerator, which needs electricity from a power plant. How much energy in antimatter you get from a particle accelerator will be less than the electricity that goes into it from the power plant. The limiting factor is the resources on earth.
that’s why I said it’s a pretty long ways off

I also understand that it’s essentially just used as a battery. Thats what ships need, portable energy

It might be more possible when we are a k2 civilization
Old 09-19-2018, 07:30 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by Slow*Jim View Post
Yep, I'm thinking Wall-E and Idiocracy are not too far off.

This is a fun article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...the_far_future

Here are some highlights:

50,000 years from now: According to Berger and Loutre, the current interglacial period ends[14] sending the Earth back into a glacial period of the current ice age, regardless of the effects of anthropogenic global warming.

500,000: Earth will likely have been hit by an asteroid of roughly 1 km in diameter, assuming it cannot be averted.[25]

1mil: Earth will likely have undergone a supervolcanic eruption large enough to erupt 3,200 km3 (770 cubic miles) of magma, an event comparable to the Toba supereruption 75,000 years ago.[20]

500mil: Estimated time until a gamma-ray burst, or massive, hyperenergetic supernova, occurs within 6,500 light-years of Earth; close enough for its rays to affect Earth's ozone layer and potentially trigger a mass extinction, assuming the hypothesis is correct that a previous such explosion triggered the Ordovician–Silurian extinction event. However, the supernova would have to be precisely oriented relative to Earth to have any negative effect.[55]

800mil: Carbon dioxide levels fall to the point at which C4 photosynthesis is no longer possible.[58] Without plant life to recycle oxygen in the atmosphere, free oxygen and the ozone layer will disappear from the atmosphere allowing for intense levels of deadly UV light to reach the surface. However, in their book The Life and Death of Planet Earth, authors Peter D. Ward and Donald Brownlee stated that some animal life may be able to survive in the oceans. Eventually, however, all multicellular life will die out.[62]The only life left on the Earth after this will be single celled bacteria.
Those are all valid points, but even at the nearest event, 50k years from now, with the extrapolation of advancement of technology, in 5k years, we probably won't even live on Earth anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.