Apple watch - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple watch

Old 12-06-2018, 08:49 AM
  #26  
Imgur Lives Matter
 
90hatch94dsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: on a bed of #8 stone
Posts: 324
Default Re: Apple watch

oh I didn't see your picture before
90hatch94dsm is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 AM
  #27  
Imgur Lives Matter
 
90hatch94dsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: on a bed of #8 stone
Posts: 324
Default Re: Apple watch

1946 doe

90hatch94dsm is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:04 AM
  #28  
Honda-Tech Gold Member
 
ScareyH22A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Orange County, Ca, USA
Posts: 5,483
Default Re: Apple watch

Apple watches have been out for awhile but whenever I answer calls Dick Tracy style, I still get stares.
ScareyH22A is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:25 AM
  #29  
020
that's no moon
 
020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Death Star 3
Posts: 1,204
Default Re: Apple watch

Originally Posted by vLad11591 View Post
I guess...... I mean I'm getting my GF the Samsung watch, only because she has an s8, plus the Samsung watch can be used with IPhones.

But idk justifying an extra 120$/year so she can use her watch as a phone. With coverage can you listen to music with the watch without having the phone? Assuming you have BT headphones?
I could see that as being the only benefit since my GF is a runner.
you can stream music on apple watch. You can also download though. With the Samsung watches you can download a Spotify Playlist so no need for cellular.
020 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:33 AM
  #30  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jackson NJ
Posts: 275
Default Re: Apple watch

Originally Posted by 020 View Post

you can stream music on apple watch. You can also download though. With the Samsung watches you can download a Spotify Playlist so no need for cellular.
Boom..... Proof that SAmsung> Apple...

JK.. just want to start a war between fanboys. Honestly, Samsung needs more app support and it would probably be better than the Apple watch.
vLad11591 is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:45 AM
  #31  
Will you make something up for me please?
 
shamoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,144
Default Re: Apple watch

I've wanted one for a few years and about 6 months ago, picked up a Series 3 for myself (42mm) and my wife (38mm). I like it a lot and I wear it every day (to sleep as well). I use it as more of a heart rate/activity tracker. It still is a pain to actually check/reply to messages. Although it is helpful when you need to look quickly when you're driving/walking/etc. Responding is something else.

If you never had one before and you have the funds, get the newest one. If you want to get the older one, get it from Costco. It is always on sale now.

I bought mine almost exactly 90 days prior to the Series 4 coming out, which meant I could return it to Costco and get the new one. But I didn't really feel like spending another ~$150. Wasn't worth it to me. New one looks nice (some friends have it), but it wasn't worth that much extra to me.

If you have specific questions about the watch, let me know.
shamoo is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM
  #32  
020
that's no moon
 
020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Death Star 3
Posts: 1,204
Default Re: Apple watch

If you have the series 3 or 4 you should get autosleep and heartwatch.
020 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 AM
  #33  
Imgur Lives Matter
 
90hatch94dsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: on a bed of #8 stone
Posts: 324
Default Re: Apple watch

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I've wanted one for a few years and about 6 months ago, picked up a Series 3 for myself (42mm) and my wife (38mm). I like it a lot and I wear it every day (to sleep as well). I use it as more of a heart rate/activity tracker. It still is a pain to actually check/reply to messages. Although it is helpful when you need to look quickly when you're driving/walking/etc. Responding is something else.

If you never had one before and you have the funds, get the newest one. If you want to get the older one, get it from Costco. It is always on sale now.

I bought mine almost exactly 90 days prior to the Series 4 coming out, which meant I could return it to Costco and get the new one. But I didn't really feel like spending another ~$150. Wasn't worth it to me. New one looks nice (some friends have it), but it wasn't worth that much extra to me.

If you have specific questions about the watch, let me know.
90hatch94dsm is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM
  #34  
aka DaZman69!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 35
Default Re: Apple watch

Multiple people recommending the series 4 to me IRL but nobody says why
sflkgjsfndgn is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 AM
  #35  
footwork mastery
 
.Grimace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bigger, Faster, Smarter, Stronger
Posts: 5,879
Default Re: Apple watch

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
Multiple people recommending the series 4 to me IRL but nobody says why
They are though, get the newest one so it's new longer. When you look at cars do you get the 2019 or the 2015 model before the refresh?
.Grimace is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:01 AM
  #36  
aka DaZman69!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 35
Default Re: Apple watch

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
They are though, get the newest one so it's new longer. When you look at cars do you get the 2019 or the 2015 model before the refresh?
if the 2015 model is 60% of the cost, Id absofuckinlutely get a 2015 model.

Who wouldnt if both cars are new?
sflkgjsfndgn is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:04 AM
  #37  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jackson NJ
Posts: 275
Default Re: Apple watch

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
Multiple people recommending the series 4 to me IRL but nobody says why
Series 4 comes with a faster processor and more apps. That's pretty much it. I'm generalizing here, but 90% of people probably aren't going to use all the features of the watch.
If you get the 3, you can save >100$ and basically have the same thing.

vLad11591 is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:04 AM
  #38  
020
that's no moon
 
020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Death Star 3
Posts: 1,204
Default Re: Apple watch

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post


if the 2015 model is 60% of the cost, Id absofuckinlutely get a 2015 model.

Who wouldnt if both cars are new?
with the apple watch it's generally better to get whatever is new. The series 4 has a faster processor and bigger screen (the 40mm is as big as the old 42mm iirc). It does more things. That said, get the series 3 if you want to save some money.
020 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:40 AM
  #39  
Honda-Tech Gold Member
 
ScareyH22A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Orange County, Ca, USA
Posts: 5,483
Default Re: Apple watch

Series 4’s larger screen is actually worth it IMO. But if you already have a series 3, probably not. As for replying to messages, obviously it’s more for quick, replies such as yes and no. But you can use Siri to dictate or even draw letters and numbers. Personally I use the preset replies which you can customize.
ScareyH22A is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:34 PM
  #40  
Honda-Tech Member
 
smileycvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Around, Seattle
Posts: 2,138
Default Re: Apple watch

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
Multiple people recommending the series 4 to me IRL but nobody says why
The screen is bigger on the series 4 and the watch itself is thinner. The battery also last longer. The biggest improvement for me would have to be the speaker and microphone. They are both way better than the previous generation watches. Using Siri or voice dictation (text messaging) with my previous model was clunky and often didn't work well. The series 4 is smooth and rarely does the watch mess up what I say anymore. I don't use the watch for calls often, but I have in a pinch and the speaker on the 4 is much louder and clearer. People on the other side of the call say they can actually hear me and are usually surprised to find out I am using my watch.

The series 4 also has an upgraded heart monitor and I believe it is more accurate than my last Apple Watch. The accelerometer is new and supposedly more accurate as well. I was getting high activity readings with the older model when I wasn't even moving around. This watch seems to actually reflect my activity more accurately. It is also supposed to be able to do an EKG, but I don't think the software update for that has been released yet and I am not sure how much real world use that will have for the average user.

I do not have the LTE model and for me that was not worth it. I usually have my phone nearby. For workouts you can download music to the watch and listen through the speaker or connect bluetooth head phones. All of the fitness functions still work without LTE or having your phone near. Even Apple Pay works when the phone isn't connected.

Originally Posted by vLad11591 View Post
Series 4 comes with a faster processor and more apps. That's pretty much it. I'm generalizing here, but 90% of people probably aren't going to use all the features of the watch.
If you get the 3, you can save >100$ and basically have the same thing.
See above.
smileycvc is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:54 PM
  #41  
Will you make something up for me please?
 
shamoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,144
Default Re: Apple watch

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
Multiple people recommending the series 4 to me IRL but nobody says why
As others have said, the screen size/dimensions is the big play here. It is thinner and has more display area for other things. It makes it much easier to read/reply. I think it looks nicer as well. The processor is noticeably faster than the Series 3. Plus the speaker is much louder, which is cool for Siri and the Walkie Talkie function (if you use it). Right now the latter is very quiet. If my wife talks to me and I'm driving, I sometimes don't even hear it.

Also as others have said, with Apple products, any new generation is almost always much better. I didn't get it because I'd have to get two at $150 each additional and that wasn't worth it. If it was just mine, I'd do it.
shamoo is online now  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.