anyone here turn wrenches on bmws? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

anyone here turn wrenches on bmws?

Old 03-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default anyone here turn wrenches on bmws?

I posted up advertisements on the web for auto work. I actually got some bites, one guy needs his starter replaced on his '98 528i. I've dug up a decent amount of info, but has anyone ever messed with BMWs? In my experience, even straightforward jobs always seem to go wrong when it involves german "engineering". I have to use some bullshit inverted torque drive socket for the bolts on the starter

Gonna go out to the guys house where the car is laid up this saturday, was hoping to gather some half valuable information from the community here
Old 03-18-2018, 10:31 PM
GDD Member

Default Re: anyone here turn wrenches on bmws?

If you're one of those idiots that talks about "German engineering", then you're not going to be able to do it. If you're one of those guys that looks at an engine as an engine, then you can probably figure it out. As a guy who spent 15 years working on mostly BMW and Audi, I can tell you that American cars are the hardest to work on, but people have it in their heads that German cars are the hardest because people fear what they do not understand. Anytime someone mentions the phrase "German engineering" when discussing these vehicles, it's usually a good indication that they have no clue what they're talking about.

On that particular car, the starter is on the driver's side below the intake manifold. I could swap it out in about 20 minutes, but because you said the words "German engineering" in your post, I suspect it'll take you about 3 days to do it and you'll most likely remove the intake manifold in the process. And another thing I should probably mention before you go spending 5 hours trying to figure out why your socket won't fit; it's because you lack the proper tools.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
If you're one of those idiots that talks about "German engineering", then you're not going to be able to do it. If you're one of those guys that looks at an engine as an engine, then you can probably figure it out. As a guy who spent 15 years working on mostly BMW and Audi, I can tell you that American cars are the hardest to work on, but people have it in their heads that German cars are the hardest because people fear what they do not understand. Anytime someone mentions the phrase "German engineering" when discussing these vehicles, it's usually a good indication that they have no clue what they're talking about.

On that particular car, the starter is on the driver's side below the intake manifold. I could swap it out in about 20 minutes, but because you said the words "German engineering" in your post, I suspect it'll take you about 3 days to do it and you'll most likely remove the intake manifold in the process. And another thing I should probably mention before you go spending 5 hours trying to figure out why your socket won't fit; it's because you lack the proper tools.
Bro, I look at an engine as an engine. I don't have E-torx sockets because I've never needed them until now. All the material I've read has been difficult to digest, most video and online guides are from people who speak/write broken english it seems. I want to do it without removing the intake manifold, but until I get a look under the hood I'm not sure what tools I'll need to bring. I told the guy to save his money on towing it to my house, ill throw a bunch of **** in my trunk and change it in his driveway. Therefore, its crucial I bring enough tools, and the right tools, since he lives 30 miles away.

From what I've read I can do it under the car, using a bunch of 3/8 extensions and the socket. This would require me to unbolt it from below, and remove it from above. The only value I can see in doing this from below is having more room for bigger torque on the wrench.

Doing from above without removing the IM looks like I will have a cramped area to work in, and seeing how illinois road salt probably has the whole engine bay rusted out, it may be a pain breaking the bolt loose.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:47 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

are you insured to repair other peoples cars?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
are you insured to repair other peoples cars?
wat insurance
Old 03-18-2018, 11:58 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

so you go out and work on some random strangers car. What happens if something goes wrong?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:33 AM
KILLAB17VTEC

he books it
Old 03-19-2018, 04:47 AM
eight equals equals equals D

BMWs are some of the easiest cars to work on. Most of that generation need cooling system updates, so the only special tool you'd need is a fan clutch holder.

Audis and VWs have funky allen wrench head bolts.

My least favorite car to work on has been my Ford designed Mazda 6.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:50 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
so you go out and work on some random strangers car. What happens if something goes wrong?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by crazyhorse2011 View Post
I posted up advertisements on the web for auto work. I actually got some bites, one guy needs his starter replaced on his '98 528i. I've dug up a decent amount of info, but has anyone ever messed with BMWs? In my experience, even straightforward jobs always seem to go wrong when it involves german "engineering". I have to use some bullshit inverted torque drive socket for the bolts on the starter

Gonna go out to the guys house where the car is laid up this saturday, was hoping to gather some half valuable information from the community here
Why don't you just look on a BMW board or watch a Youtube video on how to do it. Instead of... HONDA-tech. Even a Chilton or Haynes manual will only set you back a few bucks. I had a 98 BMW 5-series and using the 3-series Chilton book I was able to do everything I needed to do.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:10 AM
I am SO fancy!

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
...Even a Chilton or Haynes manual will only set you back a few bucks. I had a 98 BMW 5-series and using the 3-series Chilton book I was able to do everything I needed to do.
First thing I did when even contemplating maybe-possibly-it'd-be-nice-kinda-want purchasing a used BMW, couldn't remember the model. Come to find out, it's the one where the California models may need a new fuel-tank-something-or-other, to the tune of 7 grand. Nope! Hey, I got a book out of the deal. Rather spend $30 and drop the idea than the alternative. I know it's very improbable to get a California model in Texas, but it scared me away enough. Working on one, per the Chilton, didn't really seem that bad. Except pressure-bleeding the system? Get outta here!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:47 AM

CA problems...not even juance
Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
Why don't you just look on a BMW board or watch a Youtube video on how to do it. Instead of... HONDA-tech. Even a Chilton or Haynes manual will only set you back a few bucks. I had a 98 BMW 5-series and using the 3-series Chilton book I was able to do everything I needed to do.
but i did watch videos and read guides
did you read the thread?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 AM
No Big Whoop

Germans have a fascination for complexity. Whenever they have the option, they will opt for the more complicated solution. I am not a mechanic but I do work in the automotive field close to 20 years. I work on component level and I see the same part manufactured by all automakers. I made the decision not to accept any more work from European brands and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The Germans can keep their Rubik's cube parts all to themselves.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:10 AM
#stillneedsadiaper

Omg op stop being poor
Old 03-19-2018, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solsisters View Post
Omg op stop being poor
working on peoples cars makes me poor how? I have all these tools, and i barely get to use them. it seems wasteful
Old 03-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious - what is it you're having a hard time digesting? I've never worked on BMW's but searching for 1998 bmw 528i starter removal and watching a quick vid and reading some info...I can see how the job would be a pain but there are pics with the IM removed so you can see how you need to get at the solenoid bolts. The vid shows the guy having removed the air box and using a pipe over the ratchet to break the starter bolts free. Seems self explanatory.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EE_Chris View Post
Just curious - what is it you're having a hard time digesting? I've never worked on BMW's but searching for 1998 bmw 528i starter removal and watching a quick vid and reading some info...I can see how the job would be a pain but there are pics with the IM removed so you can see how you need to get at the solenoid bolts. The vid shows the guy having removed the air box and using a pipe over the ratchet to break the starter bolts free. Seems self explanatory.
my question isnt how to do this specific job but rather if theres anything i should watch out for on BMWs i may not be aware of, since all my auto experience is on japanese and american cars
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

be prepared for a sudden case of auto enthusiasm, usually associated with over-engineered and under-reliable vehicles that are typically associated with "feels"
Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
be prepared for a sudden case of auto enthusiasm, usually associated with over-engineered and under-reliable vehicles that are typically associated with "feels"
im not buying the car though
Old 03-19-2018, 07:41 AM
footwork mastery

Are you from Idaho?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

I thought you were from reno doe
Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 AM
Reborn_

LOL. such a bad idea for what, 60$? Way too much liability and risk on your end, not to mention time spent.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Never been to idaho. Imagine its nice there.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
LOL. such a bad idea for what, 60$? Way too much liability and risk on your end, not to mention time spent.
i get paid 130$. But you may be right. I definitely am not feeling this job

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone here turn wrenches on bmws?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.