Anyone have good results removing aftermarket tint (PIC) - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Anyone have good results removing aftermarket tint (PIC)

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have good results removing aftermarket tint (PIC)

Old 03-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Anyone have good results removing aftermarket tint (PIC)

I have aftermarket tint on a 2005 honda civic of course its bubbled because its the rear window. Anyone here removed this and not damaged the rear defrost? AKA not used razor blades?

Ive read about people wetting a black garbage bag and sticking it to inside the window for a few hours in the sun to warm it up.

Or is this something a tint shop would be better equipped to do? Maybe there is a chemical I can get?

Im thinking about just replacing it with a proper window that is built in tint as well, wonder what that would cost.

PIC:

Old 03-13-2019, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have good results removing aftermarket tint (PIC)

I suggest you pm xtrac1 . He is a regular here and owns a top notch tint shop. He has removed a few shotty tint jobs over the years. He is highly recommended!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

That's true. He's also worked for Gordon Murray to help with chassis development and tint installations on the old Macca factory. xtrac1 pls halp
Old 03-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think i read using steam will help get them off.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Trash bag is the only way to go. Steam works but trash bag is easier. Hopefully you strip both the clear and dyed layers together. If the dyed layer is left behind youíre fucked. Only way then is to slowly pick at it while using steam. That layer is thin as hell and itíll tear into small strips. It could take an hour. It could take 8 hours. It depends. Or you can tint a new film onto the leftovers, let it dry, then trash bag and try again. Hopefully that sticks to the old dyed layer and comes off clean. Then youíll have leftover glue. Use a liberal amount of simple green and 0000 steel wool. Donít apply too much pressure or youíll leave swirl scratches on the glass. When all the glue is off, clean it with windex and youíre done.

Yes, just pay a shop.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Noobs, use the steam function on clothes iron. Turn the iron on, let it warm up, get really close to the tint (don't worry even if you accidentally bump it, it won't instantly melt), press the steam feature and remove tint. Start at a corner. This will lift the glue off the window with the tint. You can have that done in about 10-15 minutes. Just take your time, use lots of steam and do small sections.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Originally Posted by Prudz_lude View Post
Noobs, use the steam function on clothes iron. Turn the iron on, let it warm up, get really close to the tint (don't worry even if you accidentally bump it, it won't instantly melt), press the steam feature and remove tint. Start at a corner. This will lift the glue off the window with the tint. You can have that done in about 10-15 minutes. Just take your time, use lots of steam and do small sections.
Gonna need a hi-res image of your avatar to take you seriously.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You and me both. I lost the original full size image back in 2006.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:55 PM
rookn00b

Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
I suggest you pm xtrac1 . He is a regular here and owns a top notch tint shop. He has removed a few shotty tint jobs over the years. He is highly recommended!
Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
That's true. He's also worked for Gordon Murray to help with chassis development and tint installations on the old Macca factory. xtrac1 pls halp

Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 PM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Iím friends with a tint guy. He told me years ago to mix a warm soapy water spray bottle, spray the tint down, and do the black trash bag deal for a few hours. If you have pieces that still stick, repeat. Pick a hot/warm day, direct sunlight, etc.

It worked like a charm for me, came off with ease, but the tint on my civic was in even worse condition than yours.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Details on removing very old tint where the glue is basically now hard plastic? I've used trash bag on the outside and ammonia on the tint/glue remnants and it's very very slow progress.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 PM
I took way too long

Just get off whatever you can by peeling, scraping (razor blade and using proper, considerate angles). The biggest issue I ran into when removing the tint from the front windshield of my EM1 when I purchased the car was the ******* adhesive. I tried everything and eventually stumbled on that chemical. Use that chemical on it, comes right off. Can't remember the name right now, but it's like the nail polish remover main chemical. Worked wonders on the adhesive. But I'm not sure it would remove physical pieces of tint, if you are having issues with that specifically. Also, you have more of a challenge since the rear defroster is in the way, if you're concerned with retaining its function.

Also PSA to others, I'd advise against tinting your front windshield.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:07 PM
I took way too long

Oh yes it's Acetone. Get you a jug of that at hardware store. It just melts away the tint adhesive residue. Just need plenty of towels ready for removing the **** as once the towel gets gummed up it become ineffective, and be sure to cover up any interior trim/plastic/seats/etc as the Acetone can be pretty harsh on things you don't want it being harsh on.

Just put your towel over the opening of the Acetone jug, and turn jug upside down to saturate that portion of the towel, then soak/rub on the problem spots. It will melt away the tint adhesive. It may take some time, but I have found nothing more effective. I was nearly ready to rip out the windshield and replace it with a new one before I found out about how good Acetone is at removing left over tint adhesive.

Last edited by slowman; 03-13-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great replies, thanks. When I take this on in a few weeks ill take pics and report back on difficulty lol.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:32 PM
#stillneedsadiaper

In a few weeks? **** YOU
Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solsisters View Post
In a few weeks? **** YOU
Umad?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

columbia? must be a friend of srd...
Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 PM
#stillneedsadiaper

Originally Posted by tanked_honda View Post
Umad?
Of course. I generally dont look at threads that i
dont start so i wont remember this thread anyway so who cares
Old 03-14-2019, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Steamer and use a razor blade on the corner just enough to grab it by your finger. Apply steam while pulling the tint off by your hand. Where thick good gloves to protect your hand from the heat of the steamer.

You use razor blade to scrape off the glue you damage the heating elements. This is why steaming is the best way to get tint off.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tint still looks like its holding well, just a steamer would probably do but do take your time and reapply the steamer in order to not have smaller pieces stuck to the windhshield.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:00 AM
something gnarly

OP, I’ll buy that tint off you if you get it off in one piece. trying to tint the rear window on my 2003 but I’m low on cash right now
Old 03-14-2019, 04:40 AM
Swaggylicious

Clothes steamer will take it off instantly

took my dad's off in like 10 minutes
Old 03-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ The truth!

Originally Posted by slowman View Post
Just get off whatever you can by peeling, scraping (razor blade and using proper, considerate angles). The biggest issue I ran into when removing the tint from the front windshield of my EM1 when I purchased the car was the ******* adhesive. I tried everything and eventually stumbled on that chemical. Use that chemical on it, comes right off. Can't remember the name right now, but it's like the nail polish remover main chemical. Worked wonders on the adhesive. But I'm not sure it would remove physical pieces of tint, if you are having issues with that specifically. Also, you have more of a challenge since the rear defroster is in the way, if you're concerned with retaining its function.

Also PSA to others, I'd advise against tinting your front windshield.
Originally Posted by PHAT-INTEGRA View Post
Steamer and use a razor blade on the corner just enough to grab it by your finger. Apply steam while pulling the tint off by your hand. Where thick good gloves to protect your hand from the heat of the steamer.

You use razor blade to scrape off the glue you damage the heating elements. This is why steaming is the best way to get tint off.

Do not follow these guys advice. That rear defroster will never work again if you put a razor up against it.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:02 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Leave your keys in the car and let it idle at 7-11 for thirty (30) minutes. Let someone steal your car, buy a new on with insurance $$$, then buy a new car without tint.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:11 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by ravinaziankid View Post
I think i read using steam will help get them off.
yep...a good o' clothes steamer does the trick. DO NOT APPLY HEAT...such as a heat gun. It will just make removal harder than it should.

Had to remove the shitty window tint in my old Infiniti G20.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.