This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd.

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd.

Old 07-06-2003, 09:57 AM

Default This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd.

Note: the following is a rather lengthy and subjective piece regarding the inconsistencies underlying the rationale of the NYS smoking ban to take effect in late July. I am not cliff-noting this, nor am I going to summarize it in any way. Feel free to read and reply at your leisure.

On July 24th, NY state will essentially become the most smoker-unfriendly state in the union. Smokers now have only have a few points of refuge: open-air (hardly a comfort during the winter months), private residences, and automobiles. One would think that supporters of a smoke-free NY would be complacent with their new-fangled victory, but, judging from the editorial page of recent newspapers, said individuals are not yet happy with their intolerance and suppression of a freedom implicit in the bill of rights, are crusading against smoking in open air.

Now, this is simply getting absurd. I have found that it is worthless to try to explain to non-smokers that second hand smoke, even if taken in large quantities, is no more dangerous to one's health than handling a lead pencil or biggie sizing your extra-value meal. Studies regarding the effects of second hand smoke undertaken by the EPA in 1993 and WHO in 1998 have been largely discredited for their elimination of questionable data; nevermind the fact the the published results provide no certain evidence of second-hand smoke's effect upon the appearance of such popular maladies as heart disease and cancer. Furthermore, the trace elements of carcinogens which appear in cigarette smoke are so minute that they bear comparison to levels of arsenic in drinking water or harmful acetic acid in vinegar.

I am not sure why the current crusade against smokers has come about, but I suggest, given recent trends, that we extend the 'public health' arguement just a bit.

Since it has become apparent in recent years that people are completely unfit to govern themselves and should not be held accountable for events which stem from individual actions (i.e., suing mc Donald's for making one fat, suing Winnebago because you though cruise control meant you could take your hands off the wheel, etc.), it should now be the responsibility of the state and federal governments to regulate all negative influences on public health. Fast food = gone. All junk foods should now bear a $3.00 tax per pound. Of course, all manufacturing facilities releasing anything other than steam shall have to be closed (living only a few blocks from Kodak here, we get about one or two cases of brain cancer in pre-teens per year). The sewage system will have to be totally reworked. We can't have faecal material sloshing about and being emptied into the sea, can we? Finally, the internal combustion engine will simply have to go. If you're going to gripe about the dangers of second hand smoke, what the hell are you doing living in downtown Manhattan or L.A.?

If said complaints against smoking actually stemmed from a genuine concern for the public health, then it would be reasonable to expect that the $3.00+ tax per pack of cigarettes sold in NYS would be delegated to programs specifically designed to help smokers eliminate their habit, or to clean up the hazardous and heavily polluted environments that are inherent with densely populated areas. No such program has, or will be, established. It is therefore my conclusion that the current anti-smoking crusade stems not from a desire to better the human condition, but out of simple hatred and intolerance. I shall enjoy watching when the precedents that said individuals have established regarding the sanctity of public health are turned upon them and begin to strip them of their own freedoms. For what goes around, does eventually come around.

My gripe with the forthcoming smoking ban does not stem from the actual ban itself. I can understand that some people do not enjoy the smell of second hand smoke, and find it rather bothersome. They are entitled, when they go out, to a smoke-free area, something that they have had in NYS for quite some time. My disagreement with these people stems from the fact that, because they don't like the smell or practice of some habit, they believe that it should be forever wiped from their sight, and will use irrational justifications (as outlined above) in order to have their way. I beseech said individuals to merely be open and honest. This anti-smoking law has come about simply because you do not like a practice that other citizens care to engage in. When you phrase the conflict in this manner, the violation of precedents implicitly established in the bill of rights becomes readily apparent.

Of course, this is merely my opinion, and I welcome all voices of dissent and arguementation. However, it seems slightly moronic to me to see a 250lb woman on the evening news protesting against any last-minute exempting amendments to the smoking bad, complaining that it would be a slight against a major victory for the public health. You look tired, miss. Here, have another big mac.

For now, I shall take solace in a billboard recently erected near my house by the R.J. Reynolds corp., manufacturer of Camel and Winston brand cigarettes: "Even communists are free to smoke. No Bull".

(my thanks to Lewis Lapham for the inspiration)
Old 07-06-2003, 10:01 AM

Location: kyoto sangyo daigaku, kyoto, japan, sometimes bay area CA
Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (FasteddieIX)

Even if second hand smoke doesn't kill me, it's ******* annoying. I have asthma. It causes me not to be able to breathe clearly, and causes mucus to form in my lungs making me wheeze.

I'm not overdramatizing, it happens every time someone blows their damn smoke in my direction, or I pass through their clouds of crap.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:02 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

interesting read....well imo i ****** hate smoke...it bothers the **** out of me...but the open air thing is pushing it a bit...i can tolerate it..im sure there are many things that i do that others dont like...
Old 07-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$3.00+ tax per pack of cigarettes sold in NYS</TD></TR></TABLE>

How much does a pack of cigarettes cost there??
Old 07-06-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (matt_sb2000)

cigs in NYC are like $6 or more. Its ridiculous.

I agree with you. There should be regulations. But WTF! whenits 5 degrees outside, and the wind is blowing you cant smoke a damn cig. I mean really....

Why not just improve the laws now instead of creating a new huge one. Like in resurants, actually make the smoking section blocked off from the rest, not just a 4ft tall wall. Have a good ventilation system in the smoking section. That would help a ton. But no, they would rather just make it a bitch to smoke. What about bars? I mean hell i cant drink more than 2 beers without having a cig. Damn democrats probably
Old 07-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (jcstites)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jcstites &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cigs in NYC are like $6 or more. Its ridiculous.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, that's crazy. Note to self don't go to ny.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:19 AM
JMX

who cares about the rights of smokers, anybody who will keep doing something that will kill thme or in most cases will kill the users is ignorant. smokers get smoke breaks and all the BS.....smokers are weak plain and simple

I think its good, smoking is ******* annoying...it makes me gag, and people who don't smoke shouldn't have to suffer for others stupid habits!! I mean really, why should we have to suffer for others to get their nicotine highs?? Just give up the habit, and we'll all be that much better off!
Honda-Tech Member

I think its wrong to ban smoking in the places they have.

If there was such a STRONG demand for no smoking establishments a wise business person could have opened smoke free resturants, bars, ect, and they would be flooded with all the people wanting a smoke free enviroment.

Did this happen? No, because the majority of people aren't bothered by a little smoke once in a while.

If you really are bothered by smoke that much, patronize businesses that don't allow smoking at all.

For the most part, businesses with a non-smoking section seemed fine to me.

What the government is doing now is descrimation against smokers.

The reason for increasing the tax on cigaretts is the idea that if they cost more, people will buy less. I find this a scary idea. Taxes should not be a way to deter people from making a purchase. Whats next? A 50% tax on sports cars because the government deems them dangerous. That may seem far fetched, but with the way our politicans are now, I don't believe there is anything they won't do.

Oh, I am a non-smoker.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Don't Trust Anyone

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (HXMan)

Smokers need to burn.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:23 AM
New User

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (187)

the bars i go to practice the no smoking thing, but when it gets late...people dont follow the rules, including owners, and smoking starts up again.

sure its a bitch to go outside everytime you want to smoke,
but honestly...bars? and clubs?- no smoking?...i think its pretty stupid. and i dont smoke
Old 07-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All you smokers should feel lucky that Big Tobacco hasn't fumbled the ball even more. Think about it.

1. Smoking (nicotine) is addictive.
2. It slowly kills you.
3. Second hand smoke has been proven to lead to problems in non smokers.

By todays standards why should it be legal at all?

-Jake

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HXMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A 50% tax on sports cars because the government deems them dangerous. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called insurance actually :-p

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (Sucka Free)

They are trying to pass the no smoking in public places law here in Oklahoma too. I hope they pass it. I hate coming home from a bar smelling like crap.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (b00stn)

I think it's stupid that people can't smoke in bars now. Give me one person who goes to a abr to be healthy?

Milan
Old 07-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (b00stn)

Marijuana is less deadly then nicotine as well as marijuana is less deadly than alcahol, sometimes... I don't get the way the do things. Smoking is a nasty habit and people who do it usually stink. I refuse to date a girl who smokes anything. Drinking, I don't really have a problem with as long as you do it responsibly.

oh, and btw, I have been free of all this stuff since the 1st day of this year
Old 07-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (dLo GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dLo GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even if second hand smoke doesn't kill me, it's ******* annoying. I have asthma. It causes me not to be able to breathe clearly, and causes mucus to form in my lungs making me wheeze.

I'm not overdramatizing, it happens every time someone blows their damn smoke in my direction, or I pass through their clouds of crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill second that. People should have more respect for others, and I think smoking in enclosed public places, restraunts in particular, is rather rude and incosiderate. I hope Truth continues their non-smoking campaign so that people will sooner or later realize it kills. Simple as that.
gmoore
Old 07-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (tegunderpressure)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope Truth continues their non-smoking campaign so that people will sooner or later realize it kills. Simple as that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those commercials are funny. They make me smoke more.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:45 AM
the kindest of gentlemen irl

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (dee-ecks)

i dont mind waiting till i have to go outside to light up.

of course i like smoking restaurant better and ill probably be more willing to go to one then a non-smoking restaurant, but it limits my smoking...which i cant really complain about.

just dont **** with me when im smoking a cigarette outside, in my car, or in my apt...thats all i ask.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (dLo GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dLo GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even if second hand smoke doesn't kill me, it's ******* annoying. I have asthma. It causes me not to be able to breathe clearly, and causes mucus to form in my lungs making me wheeze.

I'm not overdramatizing, it happens every time someone blows their damn smoke in my direction, or I pass through their clouds of crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the same problem - I sometimes have to leave concerts and other public places because the smoke is so heavy I quite literally have trouble breathing.

Being that it obviously intrudes on the rights and health of other, I don't think that anyone should have the right to smoke in any public place. So stop complaining and go on enjoying your cancer sticks in the comfort of you own home.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matt_sb2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Those commercials are funny. They make me smoke more.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad to see theyve had a positive effect on you.
gmoore
Old 07-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Oh yeah I forgot I can edit my own title! Yay!

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (tegunderpressure)

Anyone who smokes is pretty stupid or just doesn't care that it's going to kill them. You can smoke for all I care, but don't smoke around me. If you want to screw yourself up go ahead, just don't take me with you.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matt_sb2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How much does a pack of cigarettes cost there??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depending on where you go, anywhere from $5 at the discount places to $9 at your corner shops in manhattan. What's worse, is that you can no longer place cigarette orders from out of state...somehow, the state watchdogs get a hold of them or do one of two things: confiscate them altogether, or let you have them while presenting you with a bill for back taxes. Another interesting side note: I can't remember the last time the state or county had a balanced budget, and are always complaining of cash shortages. Now, said taxes are in place in order to encourage people to quit smoking, and put cigarette prices out of the reach of kids. Imagine what happens when they win out and everyone stops smoking, depriving the state of hundreds of millions in tax revinue.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ny sounds worse then Ca.

I don't think you have to worry about everyone stopping smoking. That isn't going to happen.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:18 AM

Default Re: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd. (jcstites)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jcstites &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cigs in NYC are like $6 or more. Its ridiculous.

I agree with you. There should be regulations. But WTF! whenits 5 degrees outside, and the wind is blowing you cant smoke a damn cig. I mean really....

Why not just improve the laws now instead of creating a new huge one. Like in resurants, actually make the smoking section blocked off from the rest, not just a 4ft tall wall. Have a good ventilation system in the smoking section. That would help a ton. But no, they would rather just make it a bitch to smoke. What about bars? I mean hell i cant drink more than 2 beers without having a cig. Damn democrats probably </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's my gripe. The majority of resturants and non-bar establishments where I live have fully enclosed, seperately ventilated areas for smokers. Apart from the occasional whiff or odor when someone opens the door to enter or leave, you'll never have smoke in your face.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This anti-smoking stuff is becoming absurd.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.