Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Amazon's warehouse-worker tracking system can automatically fire people without a hum

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amazon's warehouse-worker tracking system can automatically fire people without a hum

Old 04-26-2019, 04:50 AM
that's no moon

Default Amazon's warehouse-worker tracking system can automatically fire people without a hum

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...ff-task-2019-4

Found on reddit. Top comment:

”worked for an Amazon warehouse twice and I try to spread the message far and wide about how terrible they treat warehouse workers.

They opened the place in an economically depressed area, paid us ever so slightly more than other local businesses, and proceeded to work us to death. The standard work week was supposed to be four days of 10 hour shifts. Not too terrible. Typically, however, it was five days of 10 hours a day or five days of 12 hours each. We had two 15 minute breaks and an unpaid 30 minute lunch, the latter of course was not counted as apart of your workday, so you were there most times you were at the warehouse for 12.5 hours. There were only three or so break rooms in the building and your walk to one of them counted against your total break time. The walk could be so long in the massive warehouse that you may only get 10 minutes or so to sit before having to be back on task.

Furthermore, everyone signs into a computer system which tracks your productivity. The standards of which were extremely high. Usually only the fittest people could maintain them. Once a week or so you would have a supervisor come by and tell you if you didn’t raise your standards you’d be fired. Finally, time spent going to the bathroom (also sometimes far away from your work station) would be considered “time off task,” which of course would count against you and could be used as fodder to fire you as well.“

Sounds awful.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:50 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Default Re: Amazon's warehouse-worker tracking system can automatically fire people without a

capitalism is the perfect system
Old 04-26-2019, 04:52 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Default Re: Amazon's warehouse-worker tracking system can automatically fire people without a

Is this about them making employees pee in bottles?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:53 AM
El Chico

It's Warehouse work, what did you expect?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:53 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Just go full warehouse robots already Amazon
Old 04-26-2019, 04:54 AM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by Knightsport View Post
It's Warehouse work, what did you expect?
Im not sure what your point is.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:58 AM
El Chico

Originally Posted by 020 View Post
Im not sure what your point is.
Two fifteen minute breaks and a half hour lunch is a labor standard and adheres to the FLSA.

That it is in a giant warehouse is understood by the applicants.

If "slightly more" pay than the average in the area isn't worth that, bail.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:58 AM
aka DaZman69!

As someone who’s had to deal with the department of labor for an employee that complained (black guy that had a history of it sueing employers)

A lot of that is bullshit. No way amazon is taking those risks.

The overtime is time and a half, author forgets to mention that. And it starts right when you hit 40 hours. You also legally have to take breaks, and if it takes 10 minutes to take a break, amazon would be on the hook for that too. If all that guy said was true the department of labor would be up amazon’s *** in no time.

Fortune 500 don’t **** around with that stuff, especially with low level hourly employees. Amazon? Yeah ******* right they are not doing everything by the book.

I also gaurantee the workload is reasonable and their benefits are fantastic. Probably pay far more than local businesses when you factor in benefits.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:01 AM
Cole Trickle

Wait you mean Amazon isn't the utopia that lovers of Jeff Bezos thinks it is? That it treats it employees like something lower than a cog in a machine? That it crushes small businesses?

NO WAY.

Next you'll tell me capitalism exploits people.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:02 AM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by Knightsport View Post
Two fifteen minute breaks and a half hour lunch is a labor standard and adheres to the FLSA.

That it is in a giant warehouse is understood by the applicants.

If "slightly more" pay than the average in the area isn't worth that, bail.
Its still awful and needs to be changed. “That’s just the way it is” is the general apathy that allows all kinds of human suffering.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:04 AM
that's no moon

Did you purposely spell guarantee wrong? And if I can find other evidence that at least some of what the author wrote is true what does your guarantee provide?

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
As someone who’s had to deal with the department of labor for an employee that complained (black guy that had a history of it sueing employers)

A lot of that is bullshit. No way amazon is taking those risks.

The overtime is time and a half, author forgets to mention that. And it starts right when you hit 40 hours. You also legally have to take breaks, and if it takes 10 minutes to take a break, amazon would be on the hook for that too. If all that guy said was true the department of labor would be up amazon’s *** in no time.

Fortune 500 don’t **** around with that stuff, especially with low level hourly employees. Amazon? Yeah ******* right they are not doing everything by the book.

I also gaurantee the workload is reasonable and their benefits are fantastic. Probably pay far more than local businesses when you factor in benefits.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:04 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
Wait you mean Amazon isn't the utopia that lovers of Jeff Bezos thinks it is? That it treats it employees like something lower than a cog in a machine? That it crushes small businesses?

NO WAY.

Next you'll tell me capitalism exploits people.
warehouse workers are cogs in a machine, I’m pretty sure all of them are well aware they have zero creative function.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:06 AM
aka DaZman69!

Did you purposely spell guarantee wrong? And if I can find other evidence that at least some of what the author wrote is true what does your guarantee provide?
No because you won’t find any, amazon does not break the labor law with low level employees.

I can’t spell gode
Old 04-26-2019, 05:08 AM
aka DaZman69!

Its still awful and needs to be changed. “That’s just the way it is” is the general apathy that allows all kinds of human suffering.
so what needs to be changed? The location of the break room?
Old 04-26-2019, 05:11 AM
that's no moon

so what needs to be changed? The location of the break room?
Labor laws in general. Sure, the location of the room, length of breaks etc.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:12 AM
that's no moon

warehouse workers are cogs in a machine, I’m pretty sure all of them are well aware they have zero creative function.
Thats an absurd statement. Given that you are assuming they are all dumb and dehumanizing them from the get go I’ll temper what I read from you regarding this.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:15 AM
aka DaZman69!

Thats an absurd statement. Given that you are assuming they are all dumb and dehumanizing them from the get go I’ll temper what I read from you regarding this.
where did I say they were dumb? I literally know tons of warehouse workers. My father in law owns a warehouse and I used to work there every sunday.

I said they are well aware they do not have a job that involves using their brain. There is no skill involved other then the ability to control a forklift. They are aware of this.

You’re insane if you think otherwise
Old 04-26-2019, 05:18 AM
aka DaZman69!

Labor laws in general. Sure, the location of the room, length of breaks etc.
length if breaks? Literally every low level hourly employee for every single large company has the same amount of breaks. Have you never worked an hourly job when you were young or something?

This is getting ridiculous
Old 04-26-2019, 05:20 AM
that's no moon

length if breaks? Literally every low level hourly employee for every single large company has the same amount of breaks. Have you never worked an hourly job when you were young or something?

This is getting ridiculous
where did I say they were dumb? I literally know tons of warehouse workers. My father in law owns a warehouse and I used to work there every sunday.

I said they are well aware they do not have a job that involves using their brain. There is no skill involved other then the ability to control a forklift. They are aware of this.

You’re insane if you think otherwise
First, you said they are unable to be creative. Maybe you did not mean to use a generic infinite. As for breaks etc, sure there are standards. Those standards need to be changed and work needs to be more humanized. That’s hardly “ridiculous”.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:21 AM
aka DaZman69!

Thread intent = amazon is the devil
Reality = amazon does what every single ******* company in america does
Old 04-26-2019, 05:22 AM
aka DaZman69!

First, you said they are unable to be creative. Maybe you did not mean to use a generic infinite. As for breaks etc, sure there are standards. Those standards need to be changed and work needs to be more humanized. That’s hardly “ridiculous”.
ok so bitch about the law, not amazon
Old 04-26-2019, 05:26 AM
Cole Trickle

dazman, just stick to bragging about adderall consumption & posting dick pics on economy car forums. That's all the creative outlet you need lil bud.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:28 AM
Cole Trickle

A more creative warehouse employee would've triple wrapped your pallets of bricks so you could touge battle through pedestrian pathways in your Sierra without brick based penalty.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:36 AM
footwork mastery

On one hand I feel like you’re working a zero skill job what do you expect from a warehouse job?

On the other hand amazon could afford to pay people so much more it sucks watching a few people get rich while the rest suffer.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:38 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post

On the other hand amazon could afford to pay people so much more it sucks watching a few people get rich while the rest suffer.
You think these employees are suffering?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.