Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advanced Degrees

Old 03-04-2019, 07:20 PM
washuuu

Default Advanced Degrees

PhD, MBA, JD, doctor degrees.

Who’s got what? Is it worth it in your opinion?

Old 03-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Default Re: Advanced Degrees

I got dat thicc Master's, believe it or not. And a certificate too. Technically I'm a published author, but I most identify as a heated blanket.

And yes, absolutely zero regret and still maintain that as the hardest single thing I've accomplished to date.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:25 PM
washuuu

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
I got dat thicc Master's, believe it or not. And a certificate too. Technically I'm a published author, but I most identify as a heated blanket.

And yes, absolutely zero regret and still maintain that as the hardest single thing I've accomplished to date.
what! You my master??

lemme ask you this.. can you.. whoop my ***?
Old 03-04-2019, 07:28 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Originally Posted by mistersparco View Post

what! You my master??

lemme ask you this.. can you.. whoop my ***?
No, I'm only capable of cherishing and adoring. No *** wooping.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

If you really are interested, higher degrees, like all other degrees, can only really assist in serving a specific purpose. That said, it's most helpful when you want to advance in your career as well while differentiating you from others. Plus, it opens up opportunities where the general field of applicants has graduate degrees too. It won't hurt, but I would be extremely cautious about getting either a master's or PhD unless it was fully funded by the school via an RA or something similar.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:32 PM
washuuu

I couldn’t resist that Chris rock bit.

Jiat curious what everyone has and what their opinions are.

Are they still valuable and well regarded? Has an mba/jd lost its luster?

Old 03-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Just a BS for me, unlike my wife who has three advanced degrees. She be crazy smahrt!
Old 03-04-2019, 07:48 PM
Cole Trickle

Everyone I know with a master's is happy with it.

With a JD I've been told if you aren't passionate about practicing law it is a massive waste.

MBA degrees seem very widespread these days, but if they work for ppl there's a reason.

IIRC Bauley has an MBA, he'd be a good resource if so.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Completed my MS about 6 years ago. Would like to go back for a PhD at some point. Will likely do so when the kiddos are older. Have just been accumulating professional certifications in the interim (13 at last count). I enjoy learning, so continued education is worth it to me.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:04 PM
Head Of Bespoke

Some fields it makes sense, some it's a waste.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:18 PM
"Haters Gonna Hate"

I'm retarded and it shows
Old 03-04-2019, 08:35 PM
The Science Guy

Ph D Material science.

Worth every penny I paid (which isn't saying much since tuition was practically free)
Old 03-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an MBA that came later in life from a well-ranked school, it's no guarantee for success but it starts the conversation.

Like many others on here, my career was jumpstarted from the overpaid IT profession... I rode the wave for many years but never saw the light out of the tunnel as far as progression to "what's next?".

For me the value was using that degree track to learn about other aspects of business; while the degree is a decent foundation in the various areas... it finally opened up the interviews to the jobs that I was looking at for "what's next", but at no point do I feel that I'm an expert at finance, economics, supply chain, marketing, etc... but it was enough to shift perspectives enough to open up interview doors.

In short, it was well worth it and paid for itself many times over already. But it's less to do with the degree as getting everything you can out of it while you're in. Just getting the three letters does nothing on its own.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PhD Mechanical Engineering

Totally worth it, as long as you don't take forever to do it. And you work on advancing the theory coupled with a good experiment.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My old lady has a BS in Chemistry and a BS in Biology. We talked about grad school but it wouldn't help her much with her state job. She already has 3 subordinates that have graduate degrees.

Her dad has a PhD in Chemistry, but he says he should have stopped after grad school because he could do his job just fine without the PhD.

I do have a lot of respect for folks that get their PhD. I've met so many washed up former PhD candidates in Auburn. They get into the program and then go to the bar to "study" and they get sucked into the black hole.

They have no expenses and they start to slack. I know 3 dishwashers right now who are former PhD candidates. Really bright folks, but all that time in school means they don't really have any marketable skills when they are dismissed from the program.

Alcoholism is a bad thing, folks.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:06 AM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

I have a Master of Science in Information Management from Arizona State/W. P. Carey
Old 03-05-2019, 05:50 AM
Risky Business

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
MBA degrees seem very widespread these days, but if they work for ppl there's a reason.

IIRC Bauley has an MBA, he'd be a good resource if so.
MBA here. I chose corporate finance as the concentration. I already had a bachelors in economics with a certificate (concentration) in finance.

My only real reason for getting it was to make my resume stronger. It was ~85% paid for by my employer so to get a $40,000 degree for less than $10k seemed like a no brainer. I honestly didn't learn a whole lot more than what I learned in undergrad, but perhaps that's a testament to the quality of my undergrad degree (my MBA was from a much higher ranked university than my undergrad).

A lot of people say they use it for "networking" but I really only made a handful of contacts. I did 2 classes a week at night after work in the spring and fall semesters for four years (I did this because my employer would only pay out a max of $10k / yr and each class was $2,500). Not sure how much "networking" people want to do when they've worked all day and are getting out of class at 9pm.

If you plan on having kids I would suggest doing the degree beforehand. Both my wife and I got our masters degrees before the kids arrived (mostly, my daughter was born midway through my final year of school). No way I could pull anything like that off now.

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
If you really are interested, higher degrees, like all other degrees, can only really assist in serving a specific purpose. That said, it's most helpful when you want to advance in your career as well while differentiating you from others. Plus, it opens up opportunities where the general field of applicants has graduate degrees too. It won't hurt, but I would be extremely cautious about getting either a master's or PhD unless it was fully funded by the school via an RA or something similar.
^ Agree 100%
Old 03-05-2019, 05:53 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

I want that MBA

in my last class of my bachelor's right now

can't go very far here without the masters though.

I should be a doctor by now
Old 03-05-2019, 05:54 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Originally Posted by BauleyCivic View Post
My only real reason for getting it was to make my resume stronger. It was ~85% paid for by my employer so to get a $40,000 degree for less than $10k seemed like a no brainer.
This is the only way I would go back to school for an MBA/Masters.

I kinda want to, but I'm not paying for it out of pocket.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
I want that MBA

If they would pay for it I would say go for it.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:55 AM
Risky Business

I want that MBA

Which is bullshit. My boss is way smarter/better than me at everything related to my profession (finance) and has a bachelors in marketing.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:58 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

I want that MBA

Old 03-05-2019, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't go back for a Masters but my wife did and has no regrets. It's been very beneficial for her career I think. It all depends on what you're looking to do.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm done with school honestly. If I'm going to get training its going to be specific certifications. I don't feel like not having a masters is holding me back at all from doing what I want to do.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:05 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Originally Posted by BauleyCivic View Post
Which is bullshit. My boss is way smarter/better than me at everything related to my profession (finance) and has a bachelors in marketing.
Yeah I'm only doing it for the paper, and work pays for it so why not?

Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
only 7 years

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
I wouldn't go back for a Masters but my wife did and has no regrets. It's been very beneficial for her career I think. It all depends on what you're looking to do.
My big reason for going for my MBA is my wife has directly benefited from it here. So seeing as how she's viewed with that was a big push for me to go ahead and do it too.

At the end of the day, its just people that refuse to hire folks because they don't think they worked as hard to get to the same place without a degree

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.