Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printed homes - Acmoc better step up his game

Old 02-14-2019, 07:11 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Default 3D Printed homes - Acmoc better step up his game

We all know that every youtube video deserves its own thread.

A home like this can be built in less than 24 hours at a cost of only $4,000.

The secret? 3D printing. And they could help families living in poverty and unsafe conditions. New Story, a housing charity organization, and ICON, a construction tech company, have partnered together. Their goal is to end global homelessness.

Alexandria Lafci: So having strong, sturdy walls, having a door that we can close at night it's something that we take for granted. Being able to lock our door and be safe. For many of these families, for years, sometimes even a lifetime, they don't have that opportunity to have a safe shelter. So when they move into a New Story community, when they move into a safe home, families lives are transformed. An entire community of these 3D printed homes will be constructed in El Salvador. The ultimate goal is to get costs down to $4,000 per house with a build time of fewer than 24 hours.

This prototype house was built in Austin, TX. The home measures 650 square feet. Mortar was printed layer by layer. Human workers installed windows, doors, plumbing, and electrical systems. Here's what's inside: A living room. Small office space. One bedroom. One bathroom. ICON staff will use the home as an office to test the durability.

Evan Loomis: Our first product is a 3D printer that can print a house in 24 hours for half the cost. Phase one for News Story and for ICON is a proof of concept house and the good news is we've done it. We printed the first home in the United States that's going to be permitted and for us, this is just the beginning. The real kind of home run for us is to be able to do what we've done here in Austin, Texas in the developing world and we're doing that in what we call phase two which is in El Salvador. We are going to be printing an entire village for people that don't have homes.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:13 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Default Re: 3D Printed homes - Acmoc better step up his game

this is a moop wet dream house.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:15 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Awesome concept.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:15 AM
I like to party

4 grand?

****, I'd live there for that price.

Probably doesn't have central air or heat, but hell at that price who gives a ****.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:16 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Originally Posted by 2LEM1 View Post
4 grand?

****, I'd live there for that price.

Probably doesn't have central air or heat, but hell at that price who gives a ****.
Right? Can we get a 3D printed mansion for $50k?
Old 02-14-2019, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Remember when shipping containers were going to be the answer to affordable housing?
Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
Right? Can we get a 3D printed mansion for $50k?
That's really cool. Don't need a mansion, at $4000 a pop, just print out several, and have individual ones for each room.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
That's really cool. Don't need a mansion, at $4000 a pop, just print out several, and have individual ones for each room.
Hmmmmm....that's a 600sq ft house for $4k.....make each "house" a room at $4k a pop....that's a 5-bedroom, 3k sq ft house for $20 Grand.

Not bad.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty sure the material has been tested for heat/cooling?
Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"Affordable" housing solutions are usually not really intended to be affordable (see my shipping container house example). It's not in a builders best interest to make/sell homes for $4k so usually what happens is inventors come out with the next "hot" thing in affordable housing and building companies invest in the corporations and turn the affordable housing solution into a niche product that actually winds up being more expensive so they can make even more money while paying off the inventors of the solution.

Case in point, my shipping container example. A bunch of people began making noise about the viability of shipping container houses and builders began investing and buying out these companies and turned it into a business where shipping container homes, which are cheaper to build, are actually being sold at higher costs than their traditional offerings.

Capitalism at its finest.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:35 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Pretty sure the material has been tested for heat/cooling?
its traditional mortar already in use in home construction - not polymer fiber that typical 3D printers use.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet. Gonna hunt it down in Austin to get a closer look.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:37 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
I mean... without Capitalism, the 3d printer in any capacity, much less one of that size wouldn't exist...
Old 02-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"Affordable" housing solutions are usually not really intended to be affordable (see my shipping container house example). It's not in a builders best interest to make/sell homes for $4k so usually what happens is inventors come out with the next "hot" thing in affordable housing and building companies invest in the corporations and turn the affordable housing solution into a niche product that actually winds up being more expensive so they can make even more money while paying off the inventors of the solution.

Case in point, my shipping container example. A bunch of people began making noise about the viability of shipping container houses and builders began investing and buying out these companies and turned it into a business where shipping container homes, which are cheaper to build, are actually being sold at higher costs than their traditional offerings.

Thats because people are paying for them. You can still buy old shipping containers and do it yourself which was the entire premise to begin with.

Lets be honest, the people who would buy a shipping container to turn into a functional home are not homeless people struggling to make ends meet.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Swaggylicious

Making a structure is easy

Incorporating wiring, hvac,plumbing, insulation into said structure is not

until those things are considered, its just a shed
Old 02-14-2019, 07:43 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Originally Posted by $amGD3 View Post

Did you watch the video? It has a bathroom with toilet, electricity, etc.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by $amGD3 View Post

If you're talking about the prototype they actually got a permit to build it. Functioning home.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
I mean... without Capitalism, the 3d printer in any capacity, much less one of that size wouldn't exist...
That's a rather large speculative leap.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Thats because people are paying for them. You can still buy old shipping containers and do it yourself which was the entire premise to begin with.

Lets be honest, the people who would buy a shipping container to turn into a functional home are not homeless people struggling to make ends meet.
You can also buy a bunch of 2x4s and brick and build your own home. The idea of shipping container homes came from the idea that manufacturers would be able to prefab and assemble them as modular architecture. Building companies bought these companies out and began integrating shipping containers into existing floor plans to further reduce costs and increase their margins. Now your Pulte home will have a "rustic" shippign container corrugated wall separating rooms despite the house costing $500k+.

Not to mention as a modular architecture system shipping container homes currently on the market offer a pretty poor $/sq-ft value.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:48 AM
footwork mastery

Video says their goal is to get them down to $4000 each which makes me wonder what they actually cost now. I'd bet 15-20k?

Cool idea though I like it but what about buying the land too, getting utilities from street, etc.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:54 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Yeah, it's not the basic house that's all that expensive. It's everything else, like the land, utilities, taxes, etc.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:59 AM
Cole Trickle

Remember when shipping containers were going to be the answer to affordable housing?

That's a rather large speculative leap.

You can also buy a bunch of 2x4s and brick and build your own home. The idea of shipping container homes came from the idea that manufacturers would be able to prefab and assemble them as modular architecture. Building companies bought these companies out and began integrating shipping containers into existing floor plans to further reduce costs and increase their margins. Now your Pulte home will have a "rustic" shippign container corrugated wall separating rooms despite the house costing $500k+.

Not to mention as a modular architecture system shipping container homes currently on the market offer a pretty poor $/sq-ft value.
These are the three best posts in GDD in 2019.

This & shipping containers are not the solution to housing. Housing for regular/working class people should not suck. There's zero reason a house for regular people can't be impressive architecturally.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:05 AM
at the jetties fishin'

$4k for the whole house?? did the electrician work for free or something?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by stackz View Post
$4k for the whole house?? did the electrician work for free or something?
Is no one actually watching the video or reading links you guys are worse than FB.

They'd like to get it down to 4k as their goal... aka... it's not currently
Old 02-14-2019, 09:12 AM
at the jetties fishin'

aint nobody got time for dat
Old 02-14-2019, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be viable in the future. I think industrial printing is the future honestly. It can replace alot of processes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.