Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Oscars

Old 02-24-2019, 01:00 PM
rookn00b

Default 2019 Oscars

I hear it's a thing.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:17 PM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Default Re: 2019 Oscars

I hear it’s rigged. Change my mind.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Always ****** rigged.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried to watch the Crowder stream because its a lot more entertaining and ABC shut down them down lol.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:43 AM
Grandpa

I am stupid or ignorant about something, and I want to ask an honest question.

What is Spike Lee's problem with Green Book?

I thought it was great. I thought Roma was great, too, and between Green Book and Roma, I thought it was a toss up.

Compared to those two, I didn't think the others stood a chance.

But that's just one dumb old guy talking.

So what is Spike Lee's problem exactly?
Old 02-25-2019, 05:51 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post

The white man wins again.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:57 AM
Cole Trickle

Green Book is a movie that should be about a black man, was instead written by white men to glorify the racist white dude in the story, falsifying an actual friendship (that never really occurred). In the acceptance speech, neither Don Shirley or his family were thanked, Victor Hugo Green (the creator of the real green book) was not thanked, etc.

This is a white movie made for white people under the guise of it being something greater. Mahershala Ali's talents were wasted.

Conversely BlacKkKlansman was great.

Same thing happened now that happened thirty years ago. Movies that deal with reality & real/complex characters lose out against inferior films that white wash history as people ride in cars.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:04 AM
816d16 owes me money!

I'm sorry, but Do The Right Thing wasn't on any Oscar winning level. He can cry all he wants about that one. Even Born on the 4th of July was a much better film.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:08 AM
Head Of Bespoke

he thinks he lost two oscars to movies about people driving other people around.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
The white man wins again.
I am stupid or ignorant about something, and I want to ask an honest question.

What is Spike Lee's problem with Green Book?

I thought it was great. I thought Roma was great, too, and between Green Book and Roma, I thought it was a toss up.

Compared to those two, I didn't think the others stood a chance.

But that's just one dumb old guy talking.

I'm sorry, but Do The Right Thing wasn't on any Oscar winning level. He can cry all he wants about that one. Even Born on the 4th of July was a much better film.
Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
he thinks he lost two oscars to movies about people driving other people around.
Careful guys...
Old 02-25-2019, 06:10 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
Which is funny because he wasn't even nominated in 1990, so he didn't "lose" anything.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
This is a white movie made for white people under the guise of it being something greater. Mahershala Ali's talents were wasted.
Ahh.

Well, as an old white guy who's old enough to remember those times, maybe that's why I liked it.

Confirmation bias on my part? 0_o

I didn't really look at it that way, and I appreciate it. Thank you for the insight. Maybe I'll find the time to watch it again but bear in mind what you said.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:28 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Green Book is a movie that should be about a black man, was instead written by white men to glorify the racist white dude in the story, falsifying an actual friendship (that never really occurred). In the acceptance speech, neither Don Shirley or his family were thanked, Victor Hugo Green (the creator of the real green book) was not thanked, etc.

According to the screen writer - who is the chauffeur's son, he interviewed Don Shirley for the book and after the Shirley family came out to complain, the screen writer said that Don told him not to consult the family since they were not there. The family are the ones saying there was no friendship between the two, but that seems to conflict with first hand accounts from the ppl depicted in the film.

In a January 2019 interview with Variety, Nick Vallelonga said Dr. Shirley, before his death, asked him not to speak to anyone else while writing the story. He went on to explain:

It's unfortunate to me because I don’t want to hurt the Shirley family in any way. [Don Shirley and Tony Vallelonga] were together a year and a half and they did remain friends. There’s a lot of information [the Shirley family] doesn’t have, and they were hurt that I didn’t speak to them. But to be quite honest with you, Don Shirley himself told me not to speak to anyone. And he only wanted certain parts of his life. He only allowed me to tell what happened on the trip. Since [the family] were not on the trip—this is right out of his mouth—he said, ‘No one else was there but your father and I. We’ve told you.’ And he approved what I put in and didn’t put in. So obviously, to say I didn’t contact them, that was hard for me because I didn’t want to betray what I promised him [Dr. Shirley].[45]
Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 AM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
According to the screen writer - who is the chauffeur's son, he interviewed Don Shirley for the book and after the Shirley family came out to complain, the screen writer said that Don told him not to consult the family since they were not there. The family are the ones saying there was no friendship between the two, but that seems to conflict with first hand accounts from the ppl depicted in the film.
So it is a case of he said she said and you're choosing a side to believe.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 AM

So it is a case of he said she said and you're choosing a side to believe.
and you are too.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:33 AM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
and you are too.
Considering no one involved in the film mentioned Don Shirley when accepting the award, I think we know exactly what they thought of Don Shirley.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:33 AM

Well he is dead so... I think it's a bit much to make some kind of assumption based on who was and was not thanked in an acceptance speech.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:35 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Spike would've been upset no matter who won if it wasn't him. This is nothing new with him.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:38 AM
Grandpa

Spike would've been upset no matter who won if it wasn't him. This is nothing new with him.
It's tempting to believe that, but I'm not in his shoes and I haven't seen the things he's seen and endured.

In the 80's I used to live with a woman who would help run the house I was in.

She was old enough to tell all kinds of stories.

Women would put lye in their hair to straighten it, and do dangerous things to try to lighten their skin because of the blatant preference for lighter skinned, more Caucasian looking women.

They'd even pluck their foreheads to raise their hairlines so they'd look whiter and presumably smarter.

So...

I dunno.

I'm not in Spike Lee's shoes.

I am willing to receive education.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:47 AM
Cole Trickle

Agreed, being stiffed at the oscars is nothing new to Spike.

Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X and BlacKkKlansman have all been tremendous films, none of which got anywhere near the recognition they deserved.

The first two weren't even nominated for Best Picture but are the only films of those years that still hold up to this day.

Spike wouldn't have complained had Roma won. Ditto Black Panther.

The other stuff was all just trash.

It's tempting to believe that, but I'm not in his shoes and I haven't seen the things he's seen and endured.

In the 80's I used to live with a woman who would help run the house I was in.

She was old enough to tell all kinds of stories.

Women would put lye in their hair to straighten it, and do dangerous things to try to lighten their skin because of the blatant preference for lighter skinned, more Caucasian looking women.

They'd even pluck their foreheads to raise their hairlines so they'd look whiter and presumably smarter.
Even men put lye in their hair to straighten it. Malcolm X did it in his years as Malcolm Little/Detroit Red.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Watched for a little bit, maybe 15-20 minutes or so. I saw the Cooper Gaga thing. They gotta be ******, right? Saw the Oscars be handed out for a couple shorts. Saw Spike Lee start to bitch about something on stage. When that I happened, I turned to Netflix and watched the final episode of Russian Doll.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:58 AM
Head Of Bespoke

I'm not in Spike Lee's shoes.
Did you see what he had on though? Custom one off Gold Jordan 3's given to him by Nike.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 AM
816d16 owes me money!

The first two weren't even nominated for Best Picture but are the only films of those years that still hold up to this day.
Born on the 4th of July blows Do The Right Thing out of the ******* water....even today. It's a very progressive anti-war film and still holds weight today. Spike wasn't "stiffed" that year at all.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:09 AM
Cole Trickle

Since this is a white dudes who hate Spike Lee gathering, can y'all tell me what racist hit Spike's speech made? I'm quick to call things racist and didn't hear anything.

Speech:

Unless "make the moral choice between love versus hate" is racist?

Old 02-25-2019, 07:10 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Odd, I like Do the Right Thing. Didn't know I was at a Spike Lee hate fest.
DTRT isn't an Oscar worthy flick. Notice I'm only commenting on his complaint about the year Driving Ms Daisy won. I haven't seen many of the films nominated for THIS year's Oscars.

But I have seen all of them from 1990, along with Do The Right Thing (which I've watched more than the other movies that were up for nomination in 1990).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.