^^ Official -Network/Router/Wi-Fi discussions ^^ - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

^^ Official -Network/Router/Wi-Fi discussions ^^

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

^^ Official -Network/Router/Wi-Fi discussions ^^

Old 02-11-2019, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: ^^ Official -Network/Router/Wi-Fi discussions ^^

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
Sick! Would be rad to have a real firewall at home but not even sure what I would use it for. Anything I need access to remotely is exposed via a third party service anyway.
Most routers do that now, give you access to your home network, so you don't need to build and configure a vpn server.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 AM
washuuu

is there any way to maximize voice quality for wifi calling?

specifically, I am on tmobile and have wifi calling enabled. my speed is 200 mb/s, new router and updated modem. my calls are garbled sometimes even if i'm 20 feet away from the router with a clear line of sight.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

QoS?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

QoS is one way but doesn't really matter if your 200mb service isn't pegged. QoS tagging won't be honored out on the internet anyway.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just tighty up an r7000 replacement with an archer c9 running dd-wrt. No more going offline.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

QoS is one way but doesn't really matter if your 200mb service isn't pegged. QoS tagging won't be honored out on the internet anyway.
Giving voip devices priority or setting the upload speed for all devices might help
Old 02-11-2019, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am assuming people with these fancy home networks are paying for a business class service (if not, how are you getting a static IP from your ISP)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 AM
He knows where you live!

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
Is this an "official" thread?

Let me ask my question here.

My router has both 2.4 ghz and 5ghz. Yes, I read the difference. There are more devices using 2.4 ghz. 2.4 is more crowded so it's "better" to use 5 ghz which is more open. There are less devices using 5 ghz. So faster speed, etc (correct?).

If I live alone and only I'm on the internet, it does not matter which one I use, correct?
It's more of an interference thing. 2.4GHz only has 3 "good" channels that don't have any overlap with others. 5Ghz has way more options.

Also, everything under the sun uses 2.4Ghz including your neighbors. So you have less chance at interference when using 5Ghz
Old 02-11-2019, 08:14 AM
He knows where you live!

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
i am assuming people with these fancy home networks are paying for a business class service (if not, how are you getting a static IP from your ISP)
You can setup Dynamic DNS on your router if you need to connect and continue using a dynamic IP.

Also, having a dope internal network doesn't mean you have to have external access to it.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
It's more of an interference thing. 2.4GHz only has 3 "good" channels that don't have any overlap with others. 5Ghz has way more options.

Also, everything under the sun uses 2.4Ghz including your neighbors. So you have less chance at interference when using 5Ghz
True, but 2.4 also has greater coverage and can penetrate better so there are some advantages. If you have a smaller house, 5 ghz is probably the way to go. But if you have a larger house and coverage issues are apparent, it's probably best to leave both enabled.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 AM
He knows where you live!

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/

Personally I use an ASUS router (RT-AC-68U) with the Merlin firmware on it and it performs well. I also have a Pi-Hole in place for ad-blocking on the network.

If I were to move into a larger house I'd probably look into more enterprise grade hardware, the Ubiquiti stuff gets tossed around a lot so I'd go dedicated router + access points.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 AM
0x5359-0055

The big difference is that 2.4 will reach further than 5. If you can get a good connection in the 5ghz band then that's the way to go.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can setup Dynamic DNS on your router if you need to connect and continue using a dynamic IP.

Also, having a dope internal network doesn't mean you have to have external access to it.
agree on all accounts - I was just curious with 5505s being tossed around.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 AM
He knows where you live!

True, but 2.4 also has greater coverage and can penetrate better so there are some advantages. If you have a smaller house, 5 ghz is probably the way to go. But if you have a larger house and coverage issues are apparent, it's probably best to leave both enabled.
Definitely, I wouldn't disable either one of them. If you're in a larger house I'd really look into trying to get a single cable run + access points. I've heard good things about Google's wireless offering but not sure if I would trust them to be my router. I've started wearing the tinfoil hat on giving Google too much power.

https://store.google.com/us/product/..._wifi?hl=en-US
Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its just hardware sitting around, might as well learn it, configure it, use it. If it dies...welll...on to the next one.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also, depending on the AP, the 2.4g beacon is more active (every 100ms) than the 5g beacon. we have seen this cause even 5g capable devices to negotiate to 2.4g

with the problem of garbled voice, I would guess that is a quality of service (QoS) issue. the problem is that, generally speaking, the internet isn't gonna acknowledge your QoS. I would have thought that if Tmobile is offering wifi voice that they would have some sort of QoS, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

VZW has it as well but I never had issues. S7
Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Yeah **** that guy.
McAfee? He's crazy but he invented the anti-virus software market out of thin air. That's gotta be worth something.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/

Personally I use an ASUS router (RT-AC-68U) with the Merlin firmware on it and it performs well. I also have a Pi-Hole in place for ad-blocking on the network.

If I were to move into a larger house I'd probably look into more enterprise grade hardware, the Ubiquiti stuff gets tossed around a lot so I'd go dedicated router + access points.
Dang I need to look into this Pi-Hole thing. First read about it last night. We have a couple of older 32-bit iPads in the house that absolutely crawl on some of these news and blog websites that are littered with ads. Like I'll try to look up a recipe on a food blog and the thing continually jumps all over the damn screen because of various ads and they take forever to load. But all the ad-blocking iPad apps now only support 64-bit devices. I believe Pi-Hole can run on a Raspberry device, hence the name I'm assuming?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
Is this an "official" thread?
I'm cool with it if a mod wants to make it that way.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:58 AM
He knows where you live!

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
Dang I need to look into this Pi-Hole thing. First read about it last night. We have a couple of older 32-bit iPads in the house that absolutely crawl on some of these news and blog websites that are littered with ads. Like I'll try to look up a recipe on a food blog and the thing continually jumps all over the damn screen because of various ads and they take forever to load. But all the ad-blocking iPad apps now only support 64-bit devices. I believe Pi-Hole can run on a Raspberry device, hence the name I'm assuming?
You can run it on a virtual machine (Unix) but yeah, the intended use is on a RaspberryPi. You don't have to use it but I went with the "preferred" OS which is Raspbian Stretch Lite and then the super easy way to get started is to use Etcher to copy the files over to the microSD. I used this guide

After that is stood up you'll install the Pi-Hole software and then can add some lists to subscribe to, I've got 1.2M domains blocked currently. There's a few weird ones that are blocked (Lego.com for example) so you have to go in and whitelist some. Also, I recommend using CloudFlare for the Pi-Hole's DNS.

After it's up and running you just change your router's WAN DNS to the Pi-Hole and then leave DHCP on your router to use the router for DNS. So local clients will still chat on the router and then internet requests go to the Pi-Hole.

If you buy everything new from one of the vendors it's like $50 for the Raspberry PI 3b+, a case, and a power supply.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How effective is the ad blocking. I haven't had anything major crazy happen to me yet but its good to be well informed.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 AM
He knows where you live!

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
How effective is the ad blocking. I haven't had anything major crazy happen to me yet but its good to be well informed.
It's DNS based so you are talking to Pi-Hole to resolve where the ad lives. If it's on the blacklist then the ad just doesn't show up. So it's incredibly effective. It blocks ads on my Xbox One home screen.

I imagine uBlock/Adblock/etc are also DNS based.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Network/Router/Wi-Fi discussions...

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
I'm cool with it if a mod wants to make it that way.
Thanks, I don't think we have one. So it's now "Official."

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.