Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

^^ Official -Network/Router/Wi-Fi discussions ^^

Old 02-11-2019, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default ^^ Official -Network/Router/Wi-Fi discussions ^^

So my D-Link wi-fi router has been on its way out for awhile now I think. It's probably 5 years old or so. It drops all connections several times a week, sometimes multiple times in a day, where all the lights will appear normal but I still have to power cycle the thing to get internet back, for both wired and wireless connections.

At my office we went with a Ubiquity Unifi setup, with 2 Unifi access points in the building running off our network switch. It works amazing and has been 100% reliable for the ~2 years we've had this setup. I was thinking of doing a similar setup at my house, with a Ubiquity PoE switch and a single AP (I really need more than 4 LAN ports), but from what I understand I would still need a router between the modem and the switch to run DHCP. We don't have a router at the office because our server handles DHCP, but I don't have a dedicated machine at home for that purpose. I have a desktop PC but don't really care to use that. I could use a Ubiquity EdgeRouter, which has PoE, and then the Unifi AP, but then I'd still only have 4 wired ports available.

I see that several folks here are using the Netgear Nighthawk router. I guess that's a pretty good product line? Still only 4 ports from what I can tell, but I can have some devices on wi-fi if I have to (same as I'm doing now). Currently I have 2 Blu-Ray players, my PC, and my DirecTV Genie DVR hub on wired connections, and my TV and other devices in the house are on wi-fi. I guess I need to decide between spending $200+ on the Ubiquity setup, where I could mount the AP more centralized in the house, or go with a more conventional wi-fi router setup like the Nighthawk for a little over $100.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: ^^ Official -Network/Router/Wi-Fi discussions ^^

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
So my D-Link wi-fi router has been on its way out for awhile now I think. It's probably 5 years old or so. It drops all connections several times a week, sometimes multiple times in a day, where all the lights will appear normal but I still have to power cycle the thing to get internet back, for both wired and wireless connections.

At my office we went with a Ubiquity Unifi setup, with 2 Unifi access points in the building running off our network switch. It works amazing and has been 100% reliable for the ~2 years we've had this setup. I was thinking of doing a similar setup at my house, with a Ubiquity PoE switch and a single AP (I really need more than 4 LAN ports), but from what I understand I would still need a router between the modem and the switch to run DHCP. We don't have a router at the office because our server handles DHCP, but I don't have a dedicated machine at home for that purpose. I have a desktop PC but don't really care to use that. I could use a Ubiquity EdgeRouter, which has PoE, and then the Unifi AP, but then I'd still only have 4 wired ports available.

I see that several folks here are using the Netgear Nighthawk router. I guess that's a pretty good product line? Still only 4 ports from what I can tell, but I can have some devices on wi-fi if I have to (same as I'm doing now). Currently I have 2 Blu-Ray players, my PC, and my DirecTV Genie DVR hub on wired connections, and my TV and other devices in the house are on wi-fi. I guess I need to decide between spending $200+ on the Ubiquity setup, where I could mount the AP more centralized in the house, or go with a more conventional wi-fi router setup like the Nighthawk for a little over $100.
AC1750 is what I have. 2 days so far so good. Wireless stuff has come along way.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Isn't your home modem really a router / modem in one? If so, DHCP is probably already served from that device and still be used with a switch and access point.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or is your D-Link wireless router serving as your DHCP server?

Also, I second the AC1750. I had one previously and it works well.

Or just get a Cisco 5520 WLC and a few 3802i APs and you'll have the best wireless network in the neighborhood
Old 02-11-2019, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
Or is your D-Link wireless router serving as your DHCP server?
I have a Motorola Surfboard cable modem, no wi-fi, and no DHCP. It has a single port to connect to the D-Link router.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
Or just get a Cisco 5520 WLC and a few 3802i APs and you'll have the best wireless network in the neighborhood
Multiple thousands of dollars for enterprise-grade appliances for 3 people in a 1,200 SF house. Yeah I'll pass, as cool as that sounds, tho.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so you'll want something to replace the router and wireless functionality of the D-Link router you currently I have. I think the AC1750 or latest equivalent is a good option. It has 4 LAN ports and you could always hang a switch off of one of those if you need additional port density.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:59 AM
0x5359-0055

Nighthawk X4 AC2350 user checking in and have no problems in the house. The tenant over the detached garage has issues at times but that's hardly my problem.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:01 AM
White Trash Wish Cash

I have internet through ATT. Do you guys just swap out the one they give you for a new one? I have no idea on anything network related.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:07 AM
0x5359-0055

You still need the modem functionality of what ATT provides you but the router functionality of that hardware is often ****. We basically turn off the router functionality on the modem and attach a good router to that for wireless connectivity.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
You still need the modem functionality of what ATT provides you but the router functionality of that hardware is often ****. We basically turn off the router functionality on the modem and attach a good router to that for wireless connectivity.
Word. I purposely purchased my own cable modem because I didn't want to be tied to the crap that the ISP provides. We're currently on Xfinity (Crapcast) because it's the fastest option available in my area.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can the Nighthawks run DD-WRT firmware, or is that even worth it?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:14 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

I could use a new router I think i'm going on 15 years, at this point i'm sure it's hackers dream
Old 02-11-2019, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

modem => asa 5505 fully licensed (don't ask me how) => router => switch PoE
Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 AM
0x5359-0055

I believe they can but I don't bother with it. Should probably verify that with someone more knowledgeable on hardware than I am though.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL why do you have an ASA?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:27 AM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
asa 5505 fully licensed

Have a McAfee/Stonesoft SOHO NGFW (App Layer) that I never installed (won in a raffle) because you have to subscribe to their management console to even use the thing. No terminal, no on-box mgmt, it's a ******* paperweight without paying a subscription fee. I should find a hardware hacker and see what he can do with it.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cuz I had 2 sitting around from previous jobs and decided to setup them up for remote access. Might as well put it to use.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have a McAfee/Stonesoft SOHO NGFW (App Layer) that I never installed (won in a raffle) because you have to subscribe to their management console to even use the thing. No terminal, no on-box mgmt, it's a ******* paperweight without paying a subscription fee. I should find a hardware hacker and see what he can do with it.
Yeah **** that guy.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

member in area 94107, I'm on to you.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 AM
0x5359-0055

Yeah **** that guy.
To be fair, he had nothing to do with McAfee when I won this thing. It was the first entry for SOHO hardware firewalls from Intel Security after they bought the brand. Guess where Intel Security is today....
Old 02-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cuz I had 2 sitting around from previous jobs and decided to setup them up for remote access. Might as well put it to use.
Sick! Would be rad to have a real firewall at home but not even sure what I would use it for. Anything I need access to remotely is exposed via a third party service anyway.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:53 AM

Is this an "official" thread?

Let me ask my question here.

My router has both 2.4 ghz and 5ghz. Yes, I read the difference. There are more devices using 2.4 ghz. 2.4 is more crowded so it's "better" to use 5 ghz which is more open. There are less devices using 5 ghz. So faster speed, etc (correct?).

If I live alone and only I'm on the internet, it does not matter which one I use, correct?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To be fair, he had nothing to do with McAfee when I won this thing. It was the first entry for SOHO hardware firewalls from Intel Security after they bought the brand. Guess where Intel Security is today....
Yeah...I meant the hardware..
Old 02-11-2019, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
Is this an "official" thread?

Let me ask my question here.

My router has both 2.4 ghz and 5ghz. Yes, I read the difference. There are more devices using 2.4 ghz. 2.4 is more crowded so it's "better" to use 5 ghz which is more open. There are less devices using 5 ghz. So faster speed, etc (correct?).

If I live alone and only I'm on the internet, it does not matter which one I use, correct?
Most routers now a days do load balancing between both wifi signals, some beneficial and some not. Stick most of your gaming or streaming devices on the 5ghz but also make sure they have good signal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.