Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@warren2020 wants to break up big tech

Old 03-09-2019, 06:25 AM
0x5359-0055

Default @warren2020 wants to break up big tech

Leg up? Or, shot in the foot?

Elizabeth Warren says she wants to break up Amazon, Google, and Facebook

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Article Text
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) said today that, if elected president in 2020, her administration will break up the giants of the tech industry, including Amazon, Facebook, and Google.

The proposal is the most stringent stance taken by a candidate in the presidential campaign so far. Warren, pointing to the antitrust battle over Microsoft in the 1990s, said the companies must be broken up to stimulate competition in a monopolistic market.

“As these companies have grown larger and more powerful, they have used their resources and control over the way we use the Internet to squash small businesses and innovation, and substitute their own financial interests for the broader interests of the American people,” Warren said in a statement. “To restore the balance of power in our democracy, to promote competition, and to ensure that the next generation of technology innovation is as vibrant as the last, it’s time to break up our biggest tech companies.”

The proposal notes that major companies have tightened their grip on the digital market through mergers, but regulators have largely let those deals pass. The result, Warren writes, has been “a dramatic reduction in competition and innovation in the tech sector.”

Warren’s proposal includes a plan to pass legislation designating platforms with more than $25 billion in revenue as “platform utilities,” which would be barred from owning both the platform and “participants” on the platform at the same time. Smaller companies would not face the same requirements. A law like that would have immediate effects on the digital economy, the proposal continues, as Google is forced to spin off Search and Amazon spins off Marketplace.

As president, Warren writes, she would also appoint regulators to reverse mergers that have already been completed. The proposal names some of those mergers specifically, including Amazon’s acquisition of Whole Foods, Facebook’s acquisition of WhatsApp and Instagram, and Google’s acquisition of Waze and Nest.

The idea of taking antitrust action against the tech industry has gained new relevance recently, as the companies face a public reckoning over their power. But while many lawmakers have suggested regulation as an answer, few have crossed the threshold to an antitrust solution.

Warren frames the pitch as a way to bring true competition to the internet, which, under the plan, will become a place where Amazon’s power over sellers is curbed and where Facebook faces the prospect of competing with a newly independent Instagram. The proposal, she admits, wouldn’t solve every problem on the modern internet. There will still be foreign election interference and data privacy issues to consider. But, Warren writes, “healthy competition can solve a lot of problems.”
Old 03-09-2019, 06:36 AM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

Default Re: @warren2020 wants to break up big tech

This is how one an heros
Old 03-09-2019, 06:38 AM
rookn00b

Ensure technological innovation?

Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 AM
Tickle-shits

I fail to see how any of this would be legal
Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not seeing the problem with the mergers mentioned (especially relative to other, more controversial mergers like AT&T/Time Warner). I think she's going to have an uphill climb to make a case for this and she already has credibility issues with the general public.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:42 AM
0x5359-0055

My first reaction was to guffaw

But then I began to wonder how the general populace would see it, from a limited understanding of just what this means
Old 03-09-2019, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-09-2019, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TIL the only way to get in contact with an old college roommate is facebook.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:21 AM
HT White Ops

I think there are much better targets for breaking up than these companies IMO. This almost seems designed to generate headlines and get people talking about her. Might not be a bad strategy in such a crowded field of candidates.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:24 AM
that's no moon

The DNC needs to shut her down.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this a real issue?
Old 03-09-2019, 07:33 AM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by mar778c View Post
Is this a real issue?
Real enough to get her headlines at the expense of the party’s credibility. She has little shot at president, so why not do whatever. She’s game for herself, but most politicians are.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:38 AM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Can Samsung and Apple be forced not to engineer planned obsolescense into their phones, at least? None of this "we'll fine you one day's profit" garbage.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:40 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben's View Post
Can Samsung and Apple be forced not to engineer planned obsolescense into their phones, at least? None of this "we'll fine you one day's profit" garbage.
I'd hate for a policy like that to slow innovation, however I do understand your frustration. I think there should be a standardized "service life" of all mobile devices, say 4 years (arbitrarily), and the manufacturers should be required to keep them supported and running as well as the day they launched until then. If the company want's to cut support early they should have to take the device back in whatever trade-in programs they offer PLUS a pro-rated value. For instance, in the 4 year model, if Apple cuts loose a $1000 device after 3 years, you go into T-mobile and get your $200 trade in credit, plus $250 directly from Apple (the unused portion of the service life) to put toward a new device.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alot of folks feel that Amazon is monopolizing, I guess that's why it needs to be broken up. As for google....I dunno what they did that needs to be split.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

At this point, monopolies exist and flourish in the U.S. I see more of an issue with those ***** like Comcast, Time Warner, etc., but I could care less about facebook. I'd rather not implement a band-aid solution and would rather fix the fundamental issues which allow industries to dominate the entire market. Then again, the same thing could be said with regards to Disney, Fox, and the others. Either way we are fucked so who even cares at this point? Nothing will change and nothing will get better.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Am I the only who sees that big tech have amazing dynamic efficiencies?

Old 03-11-2019, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rochesterricer View Post
I think there are much better targets for breaking up than these companies IMO. This almost seems designed to generate headlines and get people talking about her. Might not be a bad strategy in such a crowded field of candidates.
How about tig Ole belecom?
Old 03-11-2019, 04:41 AM
Cole Trickle

Good. Amazon, Google & FB are trying to be a part of every aspect of our lives.

Funny to see free market types are okay with a few huge companies running the world (with zero accountability) but are worried the government is overreaching by simply making healthcare accessible to all.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post

Funny to see free market types are okay with a few huge companies running the world (with zero accountability) but are worried the government is overreaching by simply making healthcare accessible to all.
Sorry you fail to see the difference between organizations you can choose to use or not, and one that will send armed men to your door if you don't comply with what it wants. Not that I disagree with UHC entirely...

The tech is just evolving faster then people can handle and the lawmakers are always 2 steps behind.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:04 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post

Um, you do have the option not to use their services
Old 03-11-2019, 05:06 AM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Sorry you fail to see the difference between organizations you can choose to use or not, and one that will send armed men to your door if you don't comply with what it wants. Not that I disagree with UHC entirely...

The tech is just evolving faster then people can handle and the lawmakers are always 2 steps behind.
hahahahahahahahaha like the government came to take your guns away.

Again, you fear the government but welcome with open arms these shady businesses that have been stealing your info for years

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
For now.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:09 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Tokyosmash! View Post
I fail to see how any of this would be legal
She would have to assert that there is a monopolistic dominance of the sort that Sherman and Teddy Roosevelt hated.

IMHO, she is over reaching to appeal to her base.

If you think about it, Google owns its ecosystem, the operating system, manufactures its own smartphones and notebooks, and collects information that might amount to a privacy violation of the sort that Apple swears it will never do. Apple does the same thing on a slightly smaller (but more profitable) scale.

But she hasn't mentioned Apple, yet. She probably believes that there is a greater chance of support from Apple. :-)

So.... I think there's an argument, but I still believe that she's just appealing to her base at this stage to keep them engaged and keep the donations coming.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:11 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

How about the government first find out what they are doing with our data and who has access to it? Let's start towards the beginning.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:14 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
If you're asserting that there is an anti-trust issue, though, you're asserting that people do *not* necessarily have the ability not to use these services.

Microsoft, Apple, Google.

Those are the three big systems, right? Apple is alone, but Microsoft and Google integrate and cooperate to control the ecosystems.

Is three choices enough? Should these people be able to control a monopoly from operating system, through ecosystem, to include smartphones, notebooks and towers?

I dunno.

Even now we are deciding that the United States will be okay with just three cellular providers. (So long as they do not use Huawei hardware!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.