**Official GDD Knee Dragger Discussion Thread** - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

**Official GDD Knee Dragger Discussion Thread**

Old 05-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default **Official GDD Knee Dragger Discussion Thread**

Figured we could use our own thread for any news, discussion, tips, MotoGP, TT, etc since there are quite a few people on GDD who ride.

I dusted off the bike a couple weekends ago and threw on the solo seat. Fresh oil, fuel, and a wash was all it really needed. Looking at maybe getting some new pod filters to complete the "resto-mod" look of the bike.

Saw a Yamaha FZ-09 on one of my rides with a fender eliminator kit and a few other mods. Thing looks so killer, I'd love to eventually pick one up. The triple sounded ******* fantastic too.

Anyways, post away you guise..

Last edited by It Wasn't Me; 05-05-2015 at 11:14 AM.
tron_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **Official GDD Knee Dragger Discussion Thread**

Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
-Intl Steve Krew

I want to get a bike.

I'm debating on either a Honda CRF250L so I can be an ADV newb, or a CB500X so I can be cool guy commuter.

Pros/cons on either?

Sidenote, Tron, my bro was looking at a 78 CX500 a couple of weeks ago. If it didn't have a title issue, sketchy seller, and another engine issue everytime we showed up to check it out, he would be on his way to creating a cafe racer right now lol.
Caoboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Loves Tossing Salad

Took a day trip down to D.C on the CBR600 and it was awesome. Every time you don't ride for a while, you look at the bike and go **** why did I get this? Then every time you take it out you're reminded why you keep it. Gotta get some more pics of my bike up here, the only one I have is when I was waiting for them to come grab it after purchase.

09chaplak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Honda-Tech Member

my friend and former coworker just wrecked 2 weeks ago. severed his spine 75%. At least the surgery was successful and he may walk again.

it was his fault. in general, he rode too aggressively for his skill level, though in this instance he was distracted and ran a red. T-boned a minivan at 60 mph. he's lucky to be alive.

puts things into focus for me because I still want a bike, but it's a reminder that life is short and riding may make it way shorter.
bad-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
My Name is Nobody

you should have called it the TSTF thread (tank slapping target fixation) instead.

I don't have much faith in many riders here.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
Almighty Prognosticator

Chief Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
-Intl Steve Krew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
Go on....
Old 05-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
Honda-Tech Member

Chief, we're going to need more info here. Supermotos are ******* sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
I want to get a bike.

I'm debating on either a Honda CRF250L so I can be an ADV newb, or a CB500X so I can be cool guy commuter.

Pros/cons on either?

Sidenote, Tron, my bro was looking at a 78 CX500 a couple of weeks ago. If it didn't have a title issue, sketchy seller, and another engine issue everytime we showed up to check it out, he would be on his way to creating a cafe racer right now lol.
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the guy asking? Just wondering since CX500s are known to be super cheap but have been gaining popularity over the past few years.

Honestly I would pick up the 250 and ding/scrape/drop that before moving onto a CB500X. Commuting on a bike is a skill initself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-monkey View Post
my friend and former coworker just wrecked 2 weeks ago. severed his spine 75%. At least the surgery was successful and he may walk again.

it was his fault. in general, he rode too aggressively for his skill level, though in this instance he was distracted and ran a red. T-boned a minivan at 60 mph. he's lucky to be alive.

puts things into focus for me because I still want a bike, but it's a reminder that life is short and riding may make it way shorter.
Damn that's scary as **** . Hope your friend makes a full recovery. It's really unfortunate because a bad decision riding can have 100 times the consequences as a bad decision while driving.

MSchu, feel free to join in you little ray of sunshine.
tron_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
Damn that's scary as **** . Hope your friend makes a full recovery. It's really unfortunate because a bad decision riding can have 100 times the consequences as a bad decision while driving.
Yeah it really puts it all into focus--riding is dangerous, we all know that, yet we still want to do it.

if i get back in the saddle it'll be track only.

which reminds me, i should really finish and sell my RD.
bad-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
Honda-Tech Member

Recently started riding. Love it.
raene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
-Intl Steve Krew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the guy asking? Just wondering since CX500s are known to be super cheap but have been gaining popularity over the past few years.

Honestly I would pick up the 250 and ding/scrape/drop that before moving onto a CB500X. Commuting on a bike is a skill initself.
Original price was $1,200. He was supposedly selling it for a friend, and that the friend was the original owner. He said he had all the paperwork on the bike since new. What he had was some reg slips, dating back to 78. He had no title to the bike, and he wasn't the owner, so we were really skeptical, and we weren't going to get hosed on buying a stolen bike, or having to deal with the headache of trying to get it titled and registered.

He went down to DMV and found out the bike had $740 in back fees. He then dropped the price to $500 for my brother, stating that he doesn't have the money to pay for the fees to get a title, and that it'd still be the same price for my brother if he bought the bike and registered it himself. We looked into the title more and more and it seemed that it could be a huge hassle trying to get it titled, especially since we weren't in contact with the original owner. We tried to get the info for the original owner, but the guy kept avoiding it, saying all we had to do was fill out the application for the title, which wasn't true according to the DMV.

All this on top of the fact that we came to look at the bike 3 times and each time the bike wouldn't start, or had other issues, like a cracked coolant elbow (possibly ran low on coolant and whatnot, there could have been other issues there) funky idle that wouldn't hold (guy blamed it on the fuel being turned off) and a battery that wouldn't stay charged and died out after only a few times trying to start it. Needed new tires for sure, and a full tune up, etc.

The odometer only had about 20k miles on it, which isn't bad given the age and the price...and if my bro had the money/time to buy it as a 'parts bike' and build it from there maybe it would have worked out, but he's looking for something to ride..not a money pit.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #13
Honda-Tech Member

LSD and FF-Greg are a couple of bad ***'s on the track. Maybe LSD will post some videos in here.
clean rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #14
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
my house has wheels on it

In for Honda-Tech MC, I'll order a vest....

I sold my Hayabusa after knee surgery, and after a brief stint without a bike I bought this last fall: 2015 Indian Chief "Vintage"

BrokeAssWhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:05 AM   #16
Honda-Tech Member

BrokeAssWhiteboy, that Indian looks sweet!

This my 2006 Kawasaki 636

prelude_h22vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:53 AM   #17
I am SO fancy!

Got these for a song and dance at the local "toy" store. They're always ready to go when I am, and I can ride them in any weather. They're as loud as I can make the vroom vroom noises, so the wife is happy. When I get them going too fast, racing them along the wall, my finger can drag a little too low scraping my tips up a bit, but I just pull them up a little. No problem. They're also air cooled, so I don't have any coolant maintenance issues.

They're safe for my kids, too, so that's a plus. The pics, if I have to point out, are not mine, just from a website.

Srs. I have to live vicariously through yous guys...
silvertaxasteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #18
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-06-2015, 07:01 AM   #19
Loves Tossing Salad

These guys are ****** nuts haha idk if you guys with the super sports have ever tried this, but it's so nerve racking at first. It always feels like the back tires will give way at any second. Those of you who don't ride, look at when the camera shakes around fast turns or heavy breaks. That's the tire giving way and them correcting. It must just be so second nature to them that they don't care.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:38 AM   #20
Honda-Tech Member

Going into the turns its a mix of breaking and downshifting hard, the back tire is breaking loose because of the hard downshifting. Going to fast into a turn you see him sliding outward sometimes.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #21
White Trash Wish Cash

Rode my moped to and from work the past two days. By moped I mean my cbr250. It's a moped.

Do want ducati scrambler or fz 07/09 doe. Also dig the bmw fg's as well
rino924 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #22
White Trash Wish Cash

Hnnnngggggg
Attached Images

rino924 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #23
The Credible Hulk

I blew the ******* motor up like 4 years ago... then had a second kid. I rode for 8 years before that so I'm going certifiably insane. The bike is under a cover next to the driveway and I have to walk past it every morning LOL.

I dumped a ton in the civic this summer. I probably could have replaced the motor for what I spent. I'll be back on 2 soon and up on one not long after that

burnoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #24
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rino924 View Post
Rode my moped to and from work the past two days. By moped I mean my cbr250. It's a moped.

Do want ducati scrambler or fz 07/09 doe. Also dig the bmw fg's as well
My roomate has an FZ09. That bike is fun as hell but the factory suspension is garbage.

I'll look for a pic to post up of it. We had his bike painted matte black as well.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #25
Loves Tossing Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rino924 View Post
Not gonna lie, I loved my 250 ninja. It's so simple you can get away with damn near anything. Once you move up from there is a whole different world. I remember getting my first bike, I was sitting on the bike I currently own and some floor guy came over and said I had nice taste. Then proceeded to ask what bike I currently have. I said none to which he replied, get the **** off that 600 right now hahaha I'll never forget that but so glad I heeded his advice.