Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Official Yuge Trump Thread***

Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Pork is NOT a verb!

Default Re: ***Official Yuge Trump Thread***

Originally Posted by 816d16 View Post
I can see that with the Kobach's, overzealous voter fraud investigations, gerrymandering etc., but how is taking a 6+ year inactive voter off the rolls suppression exactly?
Lots of people only vote in presidential elections. You skip one of those, show up at the next one and you find out you're not registered anymore.

Yeah, people should be up to date on this stuff but for low income people where even getting them registered in the first place is a chore this is an additional and completely unnecessary obstacle.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:37 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Originally Posted by malix View Post
Lots of people only vote in presidential elections.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Lots of people only vote in presidential elections. You skip one of those, show up at the next one and you find out you're not registered anymore.

Yeah, people should be up to date on this stuff but for low income people where even getting them registered in the first place is a chore this is an additional and completely unnecessary obstacle.
I just googled Ohio's process, a chore? A chore is filling out a form that is available at the DMV, online, library, vocational school, or a litany of state offices and putting a stamp on envelope?

I don't know man, I don't see the problem in taking inactive people off rolls. It avoids keeping up with tons of dead data. Would you be ok with it if it was every 8 years and 1 day, or is no time limit on active registration acceptable to you?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:50 AM
Oracle of GDD

I just googled Ohio's process, a chore? A chore is filling out a form that is available at the DMV, online, library, vocational school, or a litany of state offices and putting a stamp on envelope?

I don't know man, I don't see the problem in taking inactive people off rolls. It avoids keeping up with tons of dead data. Would you be ok with it if it was every 8 years and 1 day, or is no time limit on active registration acceptable to you?
No time limit.

Plus think of it like the 2A people do. Slippery slope. You let them do 6 years, then why not 4? Why not 3? Or eventually every year, with a fee?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:50 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

I assume they are framing it as money savings. That's the only legitimate reason I could see for them to do it, right?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is probably the best way given most people have smart phones.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know man, I don't see the problem in taking inactive people off rolls. It avoids keeping up with tons of dead data.
is that the only argument there is?

it's 2018, are we running out of room to store people's name's, dob's and addresses? if the form is that simple, then the amount of data is likely negligible. how much does it cost the state to have that 'extra' data on servers? and what's the cost/benefit analysis? if 1000 people are disenfranchised from voting, and the state saves 10k, is that worth it? 100k? 1k? $100?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Caught some of that bipartisan meeting on cnn. Why trump hasn't been doing that the last year I don't know.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Pork is NOT a verb!

For people who don't even know their registration has been purged? Yes it is.

I can see you're itching to pick a fight lately but you're barking up the wrong tree here.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
No time limit.

Plus think of it like the 2A people do. Slippery slope. You let them do 6 years, then why not 4? Why not 3? Or eventually every year, with a fee?
Makes sense. I see both sides. It's not like the actual right is being taken away, but you have a very valid point aside from the fee fear mongering. That's a poll tax.

Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
I assume they are framing it as money savings. That's the only legitimate reason I could see for them to do it, right?
I assume for money and confusion of volunteers at voting precincts when handing out ballots and keeping track of things.

Originally Posted by mar778c View Post
This is probably the best way given most people have smart phones.
Yup

Originally Posted by corona View Post
is that the only argument there is?

it's 2018, are we running out of room to store people's name's, dob's and addresses?
Who said anything about storage? I don't know how you equated "keeping up with the data" as running out of storage space. See my reply to Green.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:00 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

For people who don't even know their registration has been purged? Yes it is.

I can see you're itching to pick a fight lately but you're barking up the wrong tree here.
Lol, I'm not itching to pick a fight. Relax your guard my man. Not everybody who doesn't think like you is "itching to pick a fight". I'm just trying to gain info from another perspective before I agree/disagree completely with the idea. I do think your "chore" comment was a little dramatic, yes, but you guys have some valid points on time issues. I'm just trying to see where you are coming from. What Ross said is a very valid point.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick chime in: why can't we have automatic voter registration? Turn 18 and immediately enrolled in query to vote?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:03 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Originally Posted by Eibach95Civic View Post
Quick chime in: why can't we have automatic voter registration? Turn 18 and immediately enrolled in query to vote?
Good question.

No clue, but I assume the registration process is kind of there for redundancy e.g. keeping certain felons(should be allowed to vote) and non-citizens off the rolls, double checking that said person really exists, I guess. I don't know.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good question.

No clue, but I assume the registration process is kind of there for redundancy e.g. keeping certain felons(should be allowed to vote) and non-citizens off the rolls, double checking that said person really exists, I guess. I don't know.
I hear ya. You'd think it'd be cheaper to keep a record / storage of those who can't vote versus who can vote.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:06 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

It should be.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Counsellor

Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Oracle of GDD

Makes sense. I see both sides. It's not like the actual right is being taken away, but you have a very valid point aside from the fee fear mongering. That's a poll tax.
I'm fear-mongering now? Why are you continuing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt? They've been pushing to make voting more difficult for decades, if you think registration fees are somehow a bridge too far for the GOP you haven't been paying attention.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 AM

Hope she enjoyed her time on the Senate Judiciary Committee because she won't be on it for much longer.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I'm fear-mongering now? Why are you continuing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt? They've been pushing to make voting more difficult for decades, if you think registration fees are somehow a bridge too far for the GOP you haven't been paying attention.
Yes, fear mongering.

Poll taxes are illegal, and any such thing representing one would get crushed in court, end of story. Next topic.

Yes, Kobach and overzealous investigations are playing on people's fears as well, and should be watched with a close eye.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by confusedJDMvwGTI View Post
Goteeem
Old 01-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Pork is NOT a verb!

Because republican state governments know that would put them at a disadvantage.

Originally Posted by confusedJDMvwGTI View Post
Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

muhfisa
Old 01-09-2018, 10:22 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Because republican state governments know that would put them at a disadvantage.

Is that the same case as to why they have registrations in European and most every democratic country as well, because those conservatives know it will put them at a disadvantage too?

Why haven't states, with states like California with Democrat governors and Democrat control, ever enacted such an idea if it's just Republicans fearing it?

inb4 asking questions re: the logic of an inflammatory statement is me "itching to pick a fight"
Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Is that the same case as to why they have registrations in European and most every democratic country as well, because those conservatives know it will put them at a disadvantage too?

Why haven't states with states like California with Democrat governors and Democrat control ever enacted such an idea if it's just Republicans fearing it?
Because turnout is what wins elections for the GOP. Democrats have a large registration advantage but the GOP are much more reliable voters. Anything they can do to decrease D turnout helps them.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM
Oracle of GDD

Bannon?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.