Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Official BMW discussion thread***

Old 04-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ***Official BMW discussion thread***

Congrats...

I did a double take because a friend from the 00s just bought the same damn car, but at a dealer in Utah. Maybe even the same day. He's up in the PNW though.

Beautiful paint!!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:07 PM
BMW Güdentyte

Is it Jeremy? Saw someone bought one in Utah and posted it on the FB M3 CS group.

SMB was my first choice then LRG. It’s the best color to me on the M3 and glad all 3 dealers I visited had it. Only LRG I found was on the M4 CS.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:28 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Yep! Small world.

LRG is cool but that's a VAG color to me... Audi w/ Nardo, Lambo with Grigio, Porsche with Chalk and a few others.

BMW has the best blues and purples... SMB, YMB, technoviolet, atlantis blue... etc.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:37 AM
BMW Güdentyte

Agreed .. nailed it.

i still need to get mine PPF. Got quoted $2k for full front - bumper including lip/headlights/hood/side panels and $1500 for partial, all else but the side panels.

is that a good price here in the bay? Maybe pass on ppf and go with ceramic coating?
Old 04-22-2019, 07:33 AM
put title here

Get both. I think mine was approximately $2200-2400 for full front, paint correction, and ceramic.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKMamba View Post
Agreed .. nailed it.

i still need to get mine PPF. Got quoted $2k for full front - bumper including lip/headlights/hood/side panels and $1500 for partial, all else but the side panels.

is that a good price here in the bay? Maybe pass on ppf and go with ceramic coating?
That sounds about right.

You can see what the pre-cut kits look like here
https://www.xpel.com/paint-protectio...BMW/M3-CS/None

I would go PPF with the front... Ceramic coating if you saw it fit for the rest, or just be careful washing it.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:39 AM
"Haters Gonna Hate"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLKMamba View Post
Agreed .. nailed it.

Thats not a bad deal

PPF is a must. You will be thankful later
Old 04-23-2019, 09:35 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Go to Omega Werks in Pleasanton for the film and ceramic. I’d clear the entire front clip, that blue won’t hide any rock chips!

They’re the go to around here for the supercar crowd all the way down to normal stuff.

Prices you got are pretty average. I regretted not doing clear film on my past two new cars.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:06 AM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-14-2019, 04:55 PM
GDD Member

I was shopping for a car last week, found a Cayman that looked nice, had kinda high mileage though, but was in my price range. Seller was a bit flakey, so in some retarded twist of events I ended up in a 4 cylinder X1 from another state purchased sight unseen.

After a one way flight to Vegas and 2 hours on a greyhound bus with ghetto people, I'm a bit disappointed because I did not do any due diligence. All I did was run a Carfax, get a pre purchase inspection, and verify that it was still under warranty; that's it. Turns out, I got a base model with ZERO options. I didn't even know that sunroofs and power seats were still optional items. I thought it would be like every other X1 but without idrive and HID which I didn't want anyway. I also thought it was black, but it's a grey color that I don't particularly care for.

First impression = unimpressed.

Three days and 460 miles later = thoroughly unimpressed.

Set cruise control at 110mph through the Nevada desert which was fine, but anytime the slightest incline in the road happened, the speed would drop below 70 and I'd have to floor it just to get back to the 80mph speed limit. The car is slow AF.

8 speed transmission was only able to muster 18 mpg @ 110 mph and 22mpg @ 80 mph. A 20 year old Honda Accord could do better than that with more displacement, more power, and a three speed transmission.

Bluetooth only works for phone calls, had to buy an aux cable.

Phone had 27% when plugged into USB port. After one hour of driving with music playing, the phone died. In 2 hours of being plugged in, the USB port did not provide enough power for the phone to turn back on.

I'm going to fork out the $500 for a walnut blast sometime this next week to see if that's why the car is so slow. If that doesn't work, I'm putting it up on eBay.

Is anyone in here interested in a mint condition X1? Second owner, car has been babied the entire time I've had it. Best vehicle I've ever owned, hate to let it go but I'm moving to Antarctica. Never had any mechanical problems as long as I've owned it. This is the light weight track version which is a rare factory option that you have to special order and is a few hundred pounds lighter with the custom sunroof delete, interior electronics deletion, and lightweight 17" wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2019, 08:16 PM
GDD Member

I got in the car this morning and it was like a rocket ship. It felt like a 335i with less torque. I've become accustomed to flooring it to get anywhere, but as I'm pulling out of my neighborhood, the tires chirped and I took off like a bat out of hell.

Halfway to work, the check engine light came on and I'm back to flooring it again. I guess my carbon build up theory was wrong, so I call the dealer, they have me penned in for July 25th because they're backed up. After 20 minutes of scratching my head, I pulled off the wastegate actuator and tested it.

As it turns out, I've been driving a naturally aspirated car this entire time because the wastegate was open. I called the dealer to let them know what I found and they said they could warranty it if that's the case, but I'd still need to pay a $150 diagnosis fee and if they find that the actuator was reinstalled incorrectly when I tested it, I'll be on the hook for the $900 job ($200 part + 20 minutes labor = $900???) They're going to do an airbag and thermostat recall while it's in there.

I'm starting to feel better about this purchase.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:51 PM
"Haters Gonna Hate"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
I got in the car this morning and it was like a rocket ship. It felt like a 335i with less torque. I've become accustomed to flooring it to get anywhere, but as I'm pulling out of my neighborhood, the tires chirped and I took off like a bat out of hell.

Halfway to work, the check engine light came on and I'm back to flooring it again. I guess my carbon build up theory was wrong, so I call the dealer, they have me penned in for July 25th because they're backed up. After 20 minutes of scratching my head, I pulled off the wastegate actuator and tested it.

As it turns out, I've been driving a naturally aspirated car this entire time because the wastegate was open. I called the dealer to let them know what I found and they said they could warranty it if that's the case, but I'd still need to pay a $150 diagnosis fee and if they find that the actuator was reinstalled incorrectly when I tested it, I'll be on the hook for the $900 job ($200 part + 20 minutes labor = $900???) They're going to do an airbag and thermostat recall while it's in there.

I'm starting to feel better about this purchase.

Lulz. Thats the powerband of the 1st gen N20 turbo motors. Nothing until 3000rpm and bam you get everything all at once.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:54 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by slomofo View Post

Bluetooth only works for phone calls, had to buy an aux cable.

Phone had 27% when plugged into USB port. After one hour of driving with music playing, the phone died. In 2 hours of being plugged in, the USB port did not provide enough power for the phone to turn back on.
shoulda burned it to the ground after those two discoveries

usb 2.0 and non stereo bluetooth ....gross