Notices

ZEX nitrous kit for Civic? Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZEX nitrous kit for Civic? Need some help!

I own a 98 civic HX (vtec-e) and I just wanted to know if a 55-shot using a ZEX setup will be safe and reliable for my car. The car has 68K, runs fine mechanically and I've heard that the ZEX makes a good kit that is easy to install. Also I wanted to know for added reliability what I should add to my car (i.e. MSD ignition, plugs, bottle warmer, etc.). I probably won't be using nitrous a lot, however I wanted some reliable hp when the time comes. Let me know of your experiences and any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:01 AM

Default Re: ZEX nitrous kit for Civic? Need some help! (PROJECThX)

I have a zex kit on my ZC and I love it, its alot of fun and alot faster I run a 55 shot! whats really cool about the ZEX kit is that it uses the bottle pressure to boost your fuel pressure, so you dont run lean when you spray! the only thing I did was buy the ZEX spark plugs and ractive 9mm plug wires. thats al I did Im not to worried about running lean becasue the ZEX kit wont spray if your not 100% wide open and rich. If you want some more info you can check out my web site its in my sig, i posted my ZEX kit install............oh ya one more thing you might want to think about a new clutch I didnt even spray one bottle and my clutch slips so im putting a stage 1 clutchmaster in the weekend with a 1.5lb flywheel!
Old 04-26-2002, 07:04 AM

Ive heard preety good things about zex but I dont like dry setups. I would choose to run a wet setup any day over dry.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:06 AM

Default Re: ZEX nitrous kit for Civic? Need some help! (-=TWITCH=-)

and my clutch slips so im putting a stage 1 clutchmaster in the weekend with a 1.5lb flywheel!
is that flywheel made of paper
Old 04-26-2002, 07:09 AM

Default Re: ZEX nitrous kit for Civic? Need some help! (D-Man)

woops 11.5lb
Old 04-26-2002, 07:16 AM

Default Re: ZEX nitrous kit for Civic? Need some help! (-=TWITCH=-)

Try getting in touch with a guy on this board who post under the SN of Misterbone,he uses and knows his shiet about ZEX systems.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I own a 98 civic HX (vtec-e) and I just wanted to know if a 55-shot using a ZEX setup will be safe and reliable for my car. The car has 68K, runs fine mechanically and I've heard that the ZEX makes a good kit that is easy to install. Also I wanted to know for added reliability what I should add to my car (i.e. MSD ignition, plugs, bottle warmer, etc.). I probably won't be using nitrous a lot, however I wanted some reliable hp when the time comes. Let me know of your experiences and any advice would be appreciated.
I had a Zex kit on my Civic. Loved it. Pretty nice. VEEEEEERY easy to install and pretty safe. Zex recommends/requires that you use either their nitrous/turbo plugs or a set of plugs 2 steps colder. IMO for added reliability at 55 shot (or higher) is a fuel pressure regulator. I had the B&M CommandFlo and set it to about 5-10psi over stock. If u want to go to a 65 shot or higher... Zex says to retard timing 2 degrees. If you want to run a 65+ shot also I recommend the MSD Digital 6 Igntion (NOT DIS-6). With it you can wire it into ur nitrous arming switch so it retards the timing to a preset level as soon as the switch is armed. That way you don't have to drive around all day w/ your timing retarded if u run 65+. For fuel I'd just get some bigger injectors and a vafc and have it tuned right. I'm sure there's a lot more to it but I'm lazy right now and I never got past 55 shot on my car because I sold the kit. Was fun though... I miss it. Oh well... boost or swap time.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:48 PM

Default Re: ZEX nitrous kit for Civic? Need some help! (CivicRyda2k)

thanks for the advice. i am wondering if the zex plugs are the way to go. ive heard some people say there good and others say that you SHOULD NOT get them. i think zex says you can use the stock plugs. let me know of any personal experiences or advice about plugs for a 55 shot zex setup.
Old 04-27-2002, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the advice. i am wondering if the zex plugs are the way to go. ive heard some people say there good and others say that you SHOULD NOT get them. i think zex says you can use the stock plugs. let me know of any personal experiences or advice about plugs for a 55 shot zex setup.
Yah I was kinda worried about that too with the plugs. Mine were fine. Ran them for like about 4 months no problems. I have heard of people saying bad things about them but the people i know personally that ran them had no problems with them. If you want to be safe... just get them and carry around a set of stocks (or some colder NGK's) in the car. Oh and Zex also recommends you use spark plugs 2 heat ranges colder. This is what I recommend for you since it's a setup I ran and have had no problem with and on a similar car:

- Zex Kit jetted for 55 shot
- Zex Nitrous/turbo spark plugs
- Zex purge kit (or NOS)
- Zex bottle pressure gauge (or some form of a bottle press. gauge, or an in cockpit one like autometer's)
- Autometer A/F ratio gauge
- B & M CommandFlo Fuel Pressure Regulator
- B & M Fuel Pressure Gauge (or some for of fuel pressure gauge to see the fuel pressure ur at)

That was my setup. I had the B&M set to 42psi. I didn't have the a/f guage to see if i was runnin too rich... although richer is safer. I ran a 15.4 @ 91. And this was with TERRIBLE launching (2.571 - 60ft) and shitty (tire kingdom special) tires. I know it woulda been capable of at least a 15.2ish. Anymore ?'s I'll try to answer. Or if u have AOL/AIM just hit me up @ MemphBlak.