Notices

Zeitronix wideband + USB to serial adapter = the blue screen of death! Help me fix it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zeitronix wideband + USB to serial adapter = the blue screen of death! Help me fix it!

**Update** ----- I fixed it! See a few posts down!

I got my Zeitronix ZT-2 in the mail yesterday and soldered it in last night.

This morning I went out and tried to get it all figured out so I can tune today. But, unfortunately I am having a problem! Maybe you can help me!

The problem is, when I start data logging my computer randomly stops and turns to a blue screen which tells me about some error... it tells me to disable my BIOS memory, caching, and shadowing (I don't really know what those are!)

I am using a serial to USB adapter which I think it the problem. I played around with the settings on the adapter and got it to work for a whole minute! But then I got the blue screen again!

So, this leads me to believe that the transfer settings for the port need to be adjusted in order to work properly... but, I don't know what any of the settings mean, I just randomly adjusted the transfer rate etc. and got it to work a little better but I need to work properly!!

I know LudeyKrus had this problem but he said he never fixed it.

** Has anyone else encountered this? And how did you fix it?

** Does anyone have any ideas about what settings I can change to try to get this working properly?

I really need to get this working today because this is really the only day that I have to data log for a week or so

Any advice is welcomed! Thanks!

Modified by EJ1 wilcox at 6:23 PM 4/9/2005
Old 04-09-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Zeitronix wideband + USB to serial adapter = the blue screen of death! Help me fix it! (EJ1 wilc

when i hit enter to stop recording (after i've been recording) i gethe blue screen.

I can avoid the problem by saving a .csv or .zdl file (zei. data logging), because then the port stops sending/recieving information. When i hit enter and have zeitronix close the port i get the big blue screen. I can also turn my ignition off, then close the datalogger real quick then turn the ignition ack on. its a pain in the ***. i wish it would work flawlessly. It also seems only to happen if the datalogging file is larger than 15-30seconds. Though i drive hours with the thing just ticking on, its like a gague for me... i just hit space to pause it then anyalyze my most recent pull, while i'm driving at least.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zeitronix wideband + USB to serial adapter = the blue screen of death! Help me fix it! (EJ1 wilc

Ahhhh!!

I've been trying to get this thing to work all morning! I can get it to log but as soon as I hit enter to stop and save it I get the blue screen!

I have played around with the com port settings a bunch and nothing I've tried gets me anywhere!

I don't know anyone that has a laptop with a serial port or I would just use that, although I think it's BS that it won't work using a serial to USB adapter that Zeitronix sells themselves...

I am going to email Zeitronix and see if they can help me...

This is BS that I just bought this thing and it won't work for me. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of returning it and buying a different brand... although I guess I will have to if I can't get it to work with my laptop
Old 04-09-2005, 11:49 AM

thier customer support is good and shitty. They will just stop talking to you, stop replying to your messages. And wont answer your questions after a point. They will tell you its your problem, your laptop, your serial adapter, your setiigns, and that there is nothing wrong with thier software. Then they will basically hang up on you.

I was very happy with thier service orginally, but i'm not anymore... not at all...
Old 04-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I figured out a way to make it work!

The problem only happens when you hit enter to stop the data log... so, instead of hitting enter, I simply pulled the USB plug out of the back of the computer! ... it stops logging with no error message! I then save my log plug it back into the laptop, and start all over...

I have been logging and tuning all afternoon and this method has worked every time!

Old 04-09-2005, 06:23 PM

Old 04-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I had to deal with a serial to USB adapter today for my zeitronix. Couldnt get it to work with the laptop we had, so I happend to know a buddy who had a laptop that was old enough to have a serial port. I must say I love my new toy! My buddies car feels so much smoother now and we actually know what its AFRs are and what its doing. I love datalogging!

Blaze
Old 04-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I could never get the usb->serial adapters to work... so I bought a 2port PCMCIA serial card for my laptop to use with zeitronix and hondata. It works great... they are "real" serial ports instead of usb emulated serial ports. I got the card from newegg