Notices

zeitronix WB RPM Spikes???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default zeitronix WB RPM Spikes???????

ok so i hooked up my zeitronix wideband and it works great. but in my logs my RPM's spike like crazy. i sodered my wires to the ECU harness, and through a 6prong plug to make it universal for all cars.

im going to double check my connections tomarow in the sunlight, but has anyone else had this problem?

hears some pics.

Warp Speed Ahead. I hit some mad Vtec yo!!!!!!!

post up any sujestions. ill be checking my connections tomarow when their is light.

oh yah and for the record my vtec kicks in at 437,295
Old 10-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having trouble logging rpms on the innovative wide band
Old 10-22-2004, 05:09 AM

Default Re: zeitronix WB RPM Spikes??????? (Snail Tuning)

I get them too, but doesn't look nearly as bad as yours, although, I don't rev as high. It appears to only happen when I'm really gettin on it - that's what yours looks like as well.

Looks to be some interference, where did you tap your RPM pickup? Mine is tapped under the hood by the fuse box and run inside. All soldered as well.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: zeitronix WB RPM Spikes??????? (dennis)

i taped into the RPM Pinout on the ECU the one i used for my VAFC, and sodered it all up.

yeah it seems to only spike under load. i wander if i cut back the number of logers per second, if that will take out the spikes. its really anoying to try and tune when you can't get the right RPM
Old 10-22-2004, 07:15 AM

i have the zeitronic WB.... and the logging doesnt show any spikes in RPM.

I think it might be your connections because I did have some spiking because my connection was lose.... so i jiggled the bunch of wires around and it fixxed the problem...

Old 10-22-2004, 08:10 AM

it's probably not working because you tried to plant grass in your ecu harness!!!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:29 PM

some people have had the same problem and it was their ignitor.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When working with ECU wiring I read to only solder if its your last resort.

You got to use things like this http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/...mhYkf-
Old 10-22-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

man, I don't like those things one bit. I prefer their T-Taps - http://products3.3m.com/catalo..._html

Used the T taps when I worked at a car stereo shop. Never had a problem. These were on very elaborate alarm installs and award winning stereo installs.

I would have used them on my ecu, but didn't have any around. Can't imagine the connection getting better than soldering.

It doesn't bother me too much. I might try grabbing the signal a little close to the igniter with some better wire or ground the shield it's currently in.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dennis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dennis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man, I don't like those things one bit. I prefer their T-Taps - http://products3.3m.com/catalo..._html

Used the T taps when I worked at a car stereo shop. Never had a problem. These were on very elaborate alarm installs and award winning stereo installs.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What I posted has the 3m T taps in there if you scrolled down a bit .
Old 10-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ComputerJLT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's probably not working because you tried to plant grass in your ecu harness!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF??

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When working with ECU wiring I read to only solder if its your last resort. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why?? Im using a 6 wire plug kit from swift auto, so it can easly be removed, and no work is needed, sodering will get you a better connection!!!! also sometimes it just stops dataloging all together. i checked my connections and they are great. it almost makes me wander if the cable itself is having problems
Old 10-22-2004, 07:11 PM
New User

you sure its tapped to the icm wire?
Old 10-23-2004, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snail Tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why?? Im using a 6 wire plug kit from swift auto, so it can easly be removed, and no work is needed, sodering will get you a better connection!!!! also sometimes it just stops dataloging all together. i checked my connections and they are great. it almost makes me wander if the cable itself is having problems</TD></TR></TABLE>

Solder does not get you a better connection, your suppose to use displacement connectors, I'm not a super electrican but I just know this.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ben-
why did you solder all the connections before you verified the functionality of the equipment being utilitized?

tisk, tisk, tisk...lol
Try unsoldering the connection, quit working at midnight, and stop smoking crack before you work on a car....ha ha ha ....just kidding...

try an inline capacitor to eliminate spiking and smooth out the signal, or pull your rpm lead from the distributor, rather than at the ecu where you will get more interference...

good luck bro...

Great tuner.....use this guy, he's helped me a ton on my customers cars.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: zeitronix WB RPM Spikes??????? (Roadracejunkie)

i actually soderd in the removable plug, to the ECU and then the harness from the wideband to the removable plug, the plug is a 6 prong waterproof plug, so their is no way that is loose. i think it may be the data cable from the wideband to my laptop. or possibly the telophone like connections at both ends. sometimes they don't feel secure.

oh and chris i did the job at 730pm, it gets dark at about 7 now remember no more lat nights for me. i take my time these days. no need to rush when no one is seriouly interested in buying the car.

Edit got the EGT working great. after sodering all of the joints up, and cleaning it up, i get less spikes but they are still their. so im still working on fixing this problem.

Modified by Snail Tuning at 3:35 PM 10/23/2004
Old 10-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can vouch for both the work and Ben's accuracy in describing the problem as I was there helping to datalog on [both] laptops as he did a couple pulls. Sometimes the wideband datastream would cut out completely and other times the RPM would just go apeshit (see his pics).

We attempted jiggling the wires and pinching connections all, as you can see, to no avail. This is not shoddy workmanship, although I think it might be interference from other wires so close to the ECU pins. I've had that problem with a VAFC2 install before and by moving the connetion further downstream I was able to solve the problem.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:31 PM
*insert here*

Default Re: zeitronix WB RPM Spikes??????? (Archidictus)

ben is the shizzle... help him out for he's gonna tune my soon to be 350+whp gsrrr
Old 10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: zeitronix WB RPM Spikes??????? (VTECisSeXY)

got some great runs in today. just need the weather to clear up and ill get my last little bits of tuning finished up

i had alot less RPM spikes today. no idea why. but it was nice