Notices

Z6 Turbo build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Z6 Turbo build Questions

OK I have been reading and studying up on my build. I think I have more questions now than I did before I started. I am only lookin for about 325-350whp and it to be a very dependable DD. I have new OEM parts from Honda like water pump and timing belt.

First I'll post my mods/parts list

z6 stock bore block w/z6 head
JE/SRP 9.0:1 Pistons w/ JE rings 75mm
Eagle H beam rods
Stock Crank
ACL Race bearings
Air Research t3 50 trim
Edelbrock cast turbo mani
Custom 2.5" turbo back
Cometic 5 layer HG
Unorthodox under-drive pulley
DSM 510cc inj
Honda resistor box
Wally 190 lph (had brand new one layin around)
FMIC
Greddy BOV
MBC
Chipped p28 tuned with Crome
Innovate LC-1 Wideband
Autometer Boost gauge
Innovate auto timer(still have to order)
Xenocron 3 Bar map(still have to order) or
GM 3bar map
2.5" IC pipe
ARP Head studs(have to order)

My questions are about cam, head pnp, intake mani, throttle body, oil pump, and catch can/black pcv box.

Cam:
Do I need to upgrade my cam with what I have now? I dont have the cash for a new cam right now. Was wondering if I would be fine with my stock cam til I can get a cam and cam gear later on down the road.

Head Port and Polish(PnP):
I have been looking into doing a DIY PnP on my head. I have the knowledge and skill to do it just dont know about benefits with my goals.

Intake Mani:
I'm lookin into the y8 mani. I keep gettin mixed influences on if I should run it or not. Some people say yes others say no. I have read only good for boosted app like I'm doin and have read not good for boosted setups. I have a $200 credit at a local salvage yard and can get one of these for like $25 of that credit. Should I run one?

Throttle Body:
I have also been looking into a B or H series TB. I know the B series uses a map like the D series so the Xenocron map will work fine with it, and the H series uses a remote mount map so the GM unit will work there. Other than map location is there a benefit of one over the other?

Oil pump:
I have 2 questions here. First should i just replace or pull it apart and check spcs? Second should I port it or not? I have a -3AN oil line for my turbo with a -10AN drain. Somethings I have read say mic it and check tolerances if its in specs just leave it alone and run it, and if they are out just rebuild it. As far as porting it i have read would be good to have higher volume but dont need higher pressure.

Catch Can /PCV black box:
I was also thinking about removing my black box. Its leakin oil. Was goin to go with a Catch can in place of it. How do i plug the block, and whats the best way to do the PCV system? I have read with a turbo setup its best to remove the PCV system and use only a catch can. Whats the thoughts on this?

Please don't flame and just say search. I have searched and thats what lead me to ask the questions I'm askin. Any advise is thanked in advanced. I figured it would be best to just ask all in one thread rather than wasting space and doing it in multiple posts.

Also one last thing. I just found out yesterday one of my stones on my cylinder hone is cracked. Is it still ok to use or do I need to get another one?

What about Copper HG sprayy? Should I spray the Cometic HG with it?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Z6 Turbo build Questions

Cam:
- Stock Cam will do ok...but I like the Zex 59300 myself...will require SPRINGS

Head Pnp:
- Just do a smoothing and PORT MATCH everything nicely...dont risk ruining the head on a DIY job.

Intake Manifold:
- Boost likes Big Plenum, short runners...especially if you want to move your power band higher in the RPMS. Again, port matching will help immensely

TB:
- Im not sure of the plate opening differences...honestly I would just recommend an Omni 68mm, they are cheap enough.

Oil Pump:
- More volume will help the D-Series, especially if you plan on spinning it over 7500

Block off the black box, and put at least two hoses from the valve cover to the catch can. If you can return back to the black through the plug you put in the block, do it...if not, no biggie.

Yes, spray your HG with copper spray.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome Thanks. Ya'll have been a big help from the beginning. I ordered my chip kit, chip with base map, and a few other things from you. I'm gettin ready to order even more. I even called in with a electrical prob and you guys helped me alot there. That was even before I was a customer.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cam: stock has made more than 400 hit up delta camshaft for a cheap regrind

Head: scrath and buff that sum bitch, if you wanna go diy, spend alot of time reading

IM: stick with z6, y8 isn't any good

TB:Damn near every Honda TB between 90-00 is swappable, hit up polar bear tuning for a bad *** TB

Black box: go autoworks makes a fitting to replace it with a/n fittings. I dont have that much money so i just ran a heater hose to the catch can.

Fix your hone, It says not to use cracked stones right in the fsm.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If i was to go with the OMNI tb whats the best size i should go with? 60mm?

Thanks about the hone recommendation. I'm not sure what grit of stone is on my hone what would be a good grit to go with for these motors? I can get 100, 220, or 400 grit local. I dont want to remove much if any material just clean the cylinders up for the new piston/rings.

I havent ripped into the fsm yet. I plan on doing that tomorrow when I have the engine on the stand in front of me.

Im kinda strapped for cash from everything I have already ordered and things like the ARPs and map sensor i do need. So looks like i wont be ordering AN fittings for the catch can.

Can I get a brass freeze plug and braze a brass nipple in it to return oil to the motor?

Should I slap a adj cam gear on the cam for now or just wait til I get a cam?

I dont wanna go to wild with the PnP just a mild one to clean it up a bit and flow a tad better.

Thanks again for everyones help.