Notices

z6 14b turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z6 14b turbo

I picked up a 14b turbo for fairly cheap, $30 bucks. Condition is still great. No shaft play whatsoever. Problem is, what kind of downpipe will I need? I already bought a cheap eBay cast manifold and the t3 adapter to fit. Just can't figure out the downpipe problem due to the wastegate where the dumptube connects to also.

will i need this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-Eclips...0bb2dc&vxp=mtr

or this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSM-1G-2G-4G...ebd69d&vxp=mtr

and if you're here to tell me the use the search bar like most of you guys will say, i already have. google, yahoo, DSMtuners, and here on HT. Thanks if you guys have actual answers!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: z6 14b turbo

The 14b and mitsu t25 share the same o2 housing so you can use either one.

Tips to make the turbo perform better.

1. Port and gasket match the turbine housing inlet as the inlet is normally smaller than the gasket by a good deal and the turbine inlet has a step just below the flange sealing surface

2. Port the waste gate flapper hole as its considerably smaller then the flapper from the factory. This causes boost control and creep issues.

3. Also gasket match the turbine outlet flange including the waste gate recess outer diameter

4. Also gasket match the o2 housing flange where it meets the turbine housing as normally this is considerably smaller than a gasket and will cause un-needed loss of power, granted its small and it can also cause boost control issues due to back pressure at the waste gate port outlet

I would personally run atmospheric dump because you'll have better boost control, slightly quicker spool, and still have a slight power gain over running a recirculated closed loop dump as the gasses leaving the waste gate can cause turbulence in the exhaust system.

I know this this seems like a lot of work for a turbo setup but with that small of a turbo on our high flowing high revving motors you will have boost issues if you don't address the issues I stated above. I found a few really helpful links on DIY turbine housing porting for 14 B turbos. I will find the link and post it for you as you'll see just how little work is really involved
Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
The 14b and mitsu t25 share the same o2 housing so you can use either one.

Tips to make the turbo perform better.

1. Port and gasket match the turbine housing inlet as the inlet is normally smaller than the gasket by a good deal and the turbine inlet has a step just below the flange sealing surface

2. Port the waste gate flapper hole as its considerably smaller then the flapper from the factory. This causes boost control and creep issues.

3. Also gasket match the turbine outlet flange including the waste gate recess outer diameter

4. Also gasket match the o2 housing flange where it meets the turbine housing as normally this is considerably smaller than a gasket and will cause un-needed loss of power, granted its small and it can also cause boost control issues due to back pressure at the waste gate port outlet

I would personally run atmospheric dump because you'll have better boost control, slightly quicker spool, and still have a slight power gain over running a recirculated closed loop dump as the gasses leaving the waste gate can cause turbulence in the exhaust system.

I know this this seems like a lot of work for a turbo setup but with that small of a turbo on our high flowing high revving motors you will have boost issues if you don't address the issues I stated above. I found a few really helpful links on DIY turbine housing porting for 14 B turbos. I will find the link and post it for you as you'll see just how little work is really involved
AWESOME info! Thank you. It would be great if you can post up the links so I can read it.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by _EF9
AWESOME info! Thank you. It would be great if you can post up the links so I can read it.
Your best bet is to search as a user in the DSM forums, such as DSMtuners.com. Its really a matter of obtaining the correct carbide bits and sanders to do the job. Remember, Even the T25s and 14Bs use a Radius flange and would have to have the turbine flange of the manifold modified to fit the turbocharger.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Your best bet is to search as a user in the DSM forums, such as DSMtuners.com. Its really a matter of obtaining the correct carbide bits and sanders to do the job. Remember, Even the T25s and 14Bs use a Radius flange and would have to have the turbine flange of the manifold modified to fit the turbocharger.

Good luck to you.
Yea, I made an account like 2 weeks ago. Some pretty helpful guys there! I'll look around more to see what I can do.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I should be home shortly I will find those videos and post them up, in addition I will find some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about and you can use those pictures of looking at your turbo to get a better understanding
Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
I should be home shortly I will find those videos and post them up, in addition I will find some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about and you can use those pictures of looking at your turbo to get a better understanding
that would be great. just a thought, for just regular basic bolt on with this turbo, should i just tune it on chrome or get s200 or s300 ecu and tune?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

S300 and get a tune from us! Where on the left coast are you specifically?

Evan
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S200 is long discontinued unless you have found a used one. Go with the S300 it is the best out of the 3 for sure. A S100 will do if there are still tuners in your area that will tune with it. I am lucky to have one that does since I have one in my LS Vtec swapped Civic and plant to tune with it once I finally can get my turbo kit. Once I build my spare block I have I will be switching to a S300 though for many reasons.
As for which of the exhaust elbows to use I would go with the first one since it has a segregated wastegate outlet. That can be routed back into the down pipe or extended a little to vent to the ground. I know they are not the best manis out there but this is a direct if of a T25 flanged turbo on a D series and has no waste gate flange to block off. With the little 14B and a well mounted downpipe and exhaust you should not have any issues and it will flow fine.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by _EF9
I picked up a 14b turbo for fairly cheap, $30 bucks. Condition is still great. No shaft play whatsoever. Problem is, what kind of downpipe will I need? I already bought a cheap eBay cast manifold and the t3 adapter to fit. Just can't figure out the downpipe problem due to the wastegate where the dumptube connects to also.

The_Shodan:
did you just mention this in that B16 turbo build thread with Emac? funny how this pops up so many times. lol
Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TRACKFORGED
S300 and get a tune from us! Where on the left coast are you specifically?

Evan
Northern Cali. I was thinking about s300 next Summer when I get the head built. I just need my car up and running. Driving the truck with gas price up so high is a pain! But hey, don't you do cylinder head work too? I swear you did. Not sure. Lol

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
S200 is long discontinued unless you have found a used one. Go with the S300 it is the best out of the 3 for sure. A S100 will do if there are still tuners in your area that will tune with it. I am lucky to have one that does since I have one in my LS Vtec swapped Civic and plant to tune with it once I finally can get my turbo kit. Once I build my spare block I have I will be switching to a S300 though for many reasons.
As for which of the exhaust elbows to use I would go with the first one since it has a segregated wastegate outlet. That can be routed back into the down pipe or extended a little to vent to the ground. I know they are not the best manis out there but this is a direct if of a T25 flanged turbo on a D series and has no waste gate flange to block off. With the little 14B and a well mounted downpipe and exhaust you should not have any issues and it will flow fine.
I will end up having to go with a s100 or chrome. Money is tight and I just need to get my car running before it really starts to rain in Cali.
So you're saying if I get the first exhaust elbow, I will have to custom the wastegate pipe back to the downpipe or just leave it open? I'm gonna be using an cheap eBay cast manifold till next summer when I really build my car.

Originally Posted by justYncredible
The_Shodan:
did you just mention this in that B16 turbo build thread with Emac? funny how this pops up so many times. lol
???
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by justYncredible
The_Shodan:
I sure did.. Amazing how I'm magically able to predict the future..