Notices

YOU! Turbo Charge My Type R!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YOU! Turbo Charge My Type R!

Hello everyone in the world of Type R's. I have an assignment for you. In the very near future, I'll be turbo charging my Type R. I'm a bit unfamiliar with who is making kits or what out there, so I need your help on what you would recommend.
I would like to make a minimum of 350hp at the wheels. This is easily doable.

Here is a list of the parts that will be bolted on with the the turbo system:
Jun stage 3 cams
Rocket Motors dual valve springs
Rocket Motors titanium retainers
ST Corsa cam gears
Toda 1mm head gasket
Unorthodox pulley set
**ported and polished head
**match ported intake and exhaust manafolds
King Motorsports big bore throttle body
**sleeved block
MSD Ignition-full components
RC 650 injectors
AEM fuel rail
Spoon low temp thermostat
Spoon low temp fan switch
Fluidyne radiator
Spoon radiator hose kit
Spoon radiator cap
Maradyne dual radiator fan
**ECU tuning with Uberdata

All this **** is sitting in my house, collecting dust. I would like all of it in my car within the next two weeks. There is some stuff I'm sure I left out of the list, but I'm looking for the most effcient, complete turbo kit.

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'll post before and after dyno results when I get it all in.

Thanks a ton for all your help

Old 08-11-2004, 01:40 AM

Default Re: YOU! Turbo Charge My Type R! (Haleiwa-Brando)

If you go with a straight kit, I would def recommend a full-race kit (www.full-race.com), but if you were lookinh yo piece your kit togehter there are a hold world of options in hand. I'll have to get back to you on that, I'm still asleep.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: YOU! Turbo Charge My Type R! (FOrSfEd)

A lot of those parts are not good to be used with turbo, a 1mm headgasket, on a type R motor?! What kind of compression will that give you? Answer: Way to much for a safe turbo install. Why don't you do yourself a favor and do some more research, you obviously haven't really looked into turbocharging and you are not ready. I'm sure when you are doing your research on turbo's in general you will find more than enough info about which kits are availabe.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't feel like doing your home work for you since this question is asked like 12 times a day. But here is a link that will help you.

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch
Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: YOU! Turbo Charge My Type R! (underpressure02)

Thanks for the help. I have no problems taking back what I currently have to get the proper things. Like I said, I know little and am learning as fast as I can go. The unfortunate thing, people are chaning applications and parts so fast, that the combinations seem infinite. Which, makes it a bit difficult to decide which will work and which will not. That is where all of you come in - to speed up the process. Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the help. I have no problems taking back what I currently have to get the proper things. Like I said, I know little and am learning as fast as I can go. The unfortunate thing, people are chaning applications and parts so fast, that the combinations seem infinite. Which, makes it a bit difficult to decide which will work and which will not. That is where all of you come in - to speed up the process. Thanks again!</TD></TR></TABLE>
if you have to learn fast to finish your project your going to end up with a headache
Old 08-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Jun stage 3 cams
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sell them and stick with your Type-R camshafts.

Jun Type 3 - Intake 12.0 mm, duration - 265.3 @ 1mm Exhaust 11.5 mm, duration - 265.3 @ 1mm

Integra Type R - Intake 11.5 mm, duration - 240 @ 1mm Exhaust 10.5 mm, duration - 235 @ 1mm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Toda 1mm head gasket
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sell it and stick with an OEM gasket or a thicker Cometic gasket.

Unorthodox pulley set
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sell them or talk to Arturbo about the Fluidampr.

**ported and polished head
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who is doing the work?

**match ported intake and exhaust manafolds
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt they will port match the intake manifold.

King Motorsports big bore throttle body
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stick with your OEM throttle body. If you want a larger throttle body spend $108.00 to have your throttle body bored.

**sleeved block
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pistons and rods to go with this? The B18c5 sleeves can handle 350whp easy.

MSD Ignition-full components
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sell these parts. If your ignition components are in working order you should have no problem with them.

Spoon low temp thermostat
</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I have gathered and seen boosted applications dont work well with low temperature themostats.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if he plans on a MINIMUM of 350 I would keep the MSD... ive been reading a lot about ignitions lately and people start to have problems around 400... keep the MSD.

I would go with a Full-Race kit if you have the $$$, its not cheap.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:11 PM
sQwiReL bOi

get rid of the toda 1mm head gasket... that will raise ur compression. get rid of the jun 3 cams.... all that stuff is all motor stuff and wont work all that great wit turbo... thats all the stuff i saw on ur list. i think ur better off goin all motor cuz ur almost there. juss get some ctr pistons, rods, head ported, intake manifold, and tb. ull have good times wit that stuff.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sQwiReL bOi)

I appreciate the posts guys. I really do. I swung into the local tuner shop to see what was going on today. I hung out there for a couple hours and got some answers taken care of. Most of which you guys have stated.

I think these guys know what they are talking about. http://www.speedlinemotorsports.com. They all drive boosted Integras and Civics. I don't think there is a car there with anything lower than 350 wheel hp. There is also a dyno right down the street.

So I stuck around asked questions, watched a couple cars get "Ubered" and some various other things.

I'll get rid of the Jun Stage 3 cams and the Toda head gasket only. I can still use the ST Corsa cam gears, the valve springs and the titanium retainers. Pretty much everone there agreed that the stock cams, and all the stock timing/ignition components were more than adaquet in the Type R. This was nice to hear, and even nicer to see in their cars that they infact had not wasted any money on parts that were not needed. I'll just put that money into a nicer turbo, downpipe and manifold.

On my trip across the good ol' USA I would like to stop off somewhere and have the block sleeved and perhaps get stronger pistons and rods, for safety purposes. However the kind gentlemen at the shop said they have seen boosted Type R's making 400+ at the wheels with a stock bottom end with no problems. What do you think? Is the money worth the safety? I've also decided the car will no be driven every day but only on the weekends, or whenever.

So, I guess I'm off to go throw these cams on EBAY along with the Toda head gasket.

Now that I think about it. Is there anyone out there that makes cams for boosted B18C5's? That make a significant difference over stock? Would be curious to know.

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:30 PM

Default Re: (Haleiwa-Brando)

full-race If your looking to buy a complete kit. otherwise peicing together is always a good idea and a little cheaper. And you said you had a sleeved block but you didnt mention upgraded pistons or rods. If you returned the cams, pulleys, and headgasket im sure you would have enough for pistons and rods. and you dont wanna push 350 or more with stock p+r
Old 08-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Haleiwa-Brando)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id they have seen boosted Type R's making 400+ at the wheels with a stock bottom end with no problems. What do you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that wont be very reliable.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (dunkd)

damn that's a lot of parts! sell the parts everyone else is telling you you don't need...and buy parts that will help keep your motor alive longer...pistons, rods, arp bolts, etc.

do it right the first time around and you'll have less worries in the future. good luck with the build.