Notices

you know what makes me sad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you know what makes me sad?

having a car with a fully built motor and not being able to push the limits of it! Last night i was driving the Civic and chirped 4th gear! This is at only 8 psi on a "shitty" greddy kit. We are still waiting on the Hondata and reworked turbo to push the limits. I cant wait to feel the 18g at 15+ psi. Do you guys think we should weld the internal wastegate or buy a new turbine thats made for an external wastegate? The latter seems to be the better choice. Im just worried about the new 3" downpipe working with the A/C. This car WILL have A/C.

Well all this not only makes me sad but it makes my friend sad, it is his car as i sometimes forget, even though i have put almost every mod on it including building the motor. hehe.

Another thing...if we dropped 100 octane in the tank. What kind of boost could we run with the blue box for now? We only push 5 psi on the low setting and 7-8 now and then on the high setting. I got a VP Racing gas station down the street from my house so 100 octane is no problemo.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:06 AM
New User

Default Re: you know what makes me sad? (5speedv6)

Well, you COULD replace the turbine but consider that the VAST majority of T3/4 hybrids out there use a T3 turbine which still HAS the hole for an internal wastegate, and all we do is cover the hole with a larger downpipe flange. You can just weld or flange over that internal WG exit and you'll be OK; save your money for buying a bigger turbo down the road!

3" downpipe is difficult with AC, you almost have to do a 2.5 -> 3" flare or at least use something to crush the piping down where it wants to interfere with the AC compressor.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: you know what makes me sad? (dbman96)

Well, you COULD replace the turbine but consider that the VAST majority of T3/4 hybrids out there use a T3 turbine which still HAS the hole for an internal wastegate, and all we do is cover the hole with a larger downpipe flange. You can just weld or flange over that internal WG exit and you'll be OK; save your money for buying a bigger turbo down the road!
Very true. It would be a lot cheaper! Thats probably what we will end up doing. I just didnt know if the flow would be a little better with new turbine thats designed for an external WG. Im wondering what kind of power this 18g will make with just the wastegate mod on a built motor and if we would even want a bigger turbo. Cant wait to find out.

3" downpipe is difficult with AC, you almost have to do a 2.5 -> 3" flare or at least use something to crush the piping down where it wants to interfere with the AC compressor.
Yeah ive heard the 3" downpipe is almost impossible with A/C. I was thinking that we MIGHT be able to move the A/C condensor (part next to the radiator) forward a little and use a flatter fan on it. Then the downpipe could go forward a little and then head down and out. Worse comes to worse we will just have to do the 2.5" to 3" flare method. I already ported the downpipe flange a little so its better than it came. I guess we will see that restriction a lot more once the boost goes up.

[Modified by 5speedv6, 6:13 PM 6/5/2002]
Old 06-05-2002, 10:00 AM
New User

Default Re: you know what makes me sad? (5speedv6)

if you "chirped" 4th gear, i'd invest in a new set of tires cause your not pushing that kind of power. tires will help alot.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: you know what makes me sad? (jinxproof99)

The tires arent even down to the wear bars, they are Kumhos. I was suprised it chirped em in 4th, it was a slight chirp but it made noise, the car has a 3 puck ACT in it and bites pretty hard. Plus it was at nighttime and was nice and cool outside.