Notices

WTF -- 20 hours to install a custom turbo set up.

Old 08-12-2002, 04:08 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF -- 20 hours to install a custom turbo set up.

Get this. I go to the shop I planned on having my turbo installed at and tuned. Told them I had all the major parts and asked about how long it would take to install, guessing 6-7 hours. The response is "I was thinking more like 20hrs (at $100 an hour)". I ask what is up with that and he mentions that since I do not have a kit they will have to fab up custom intercooler pipes and oil return line. At that point I figure I am just not going to say anything else. This is a place that calls themselves turbo specialsts. Hell I have never installed a turbo and I bet I could do everything in 20 hours or less. Can you belive that $2000 for a turbo install.

Any recommendations on shops to do the install in the Atlanta area? I am looking for some one with a dyno so I can get it tuned before I get on the road.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF -- 20 hours to install a custom turbo set up. (VTECPWR)

it is understandable that they would charge you 20 hours. I doubt it would take that long to install, but shops always overestimate.

Why not do it yourself? No tools? Spend that $2K on tools, that could buy a really really nice set.

Kyle
Old 08-12-2002, 04:16 PM

it takes about 7-9 hours for someone who has never done it before. come on dude. do you think anyone would pay 2,000 for a turbo installation? (dont answer that)
Old 08-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: WTF -- 20 hours to install a custom turbo set up. (sutrusu)

The reasons I don't want to do it myself are 1) Too many comitments on my time for now. 2) Can't afford to be without the car for too long. 3) Need to purchase additional tools for a turno install, although for $2,000 I could get everything I need and still have a **** load left. 4) I bought a used cartech and have no idea what it is set at, which is why I wanted it tuned before I left the garage 5) I have a really tiny garage - I can barely get out of the car with it in the Garage and I can not work on it for several days with it parked in the driveway.

All that said I may just end up trying the install myself, it will just be awhile until I can get to it. I will just have to be careful not to hit boost on my way to the shop. Are the install instructions on importparts.com complete enough for a newbie to install a turbo from??
Old 08-12-2002, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF -- 20 hours to install a custom turbo set up. (sutrusu)

This shop is going to have to fab. all the IC pipes. Doesn't take too long, but longer than it would take to bolt up the DRAG or RH pipes. They are prob. going to have to make a DP. Takes a while. Then actually install the kit.

I would not pay $2,000, I am sure very few people would pay $2K, but I do not think it is a totally insane estimate. an overestimate YES.

Does that price include parts (to make the piping?)

Everyone will tell you to do it yourself.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:01 PM
Trial User

Default Re: WTF -- 20 hours to install a custom turbo set up. (2K_TEG)

I already have the DP, which the shop knows. I also plan or ordering intercooler pipes. The price does include the time and parts to make the piping. But does not include the other parts, misc bolts, silicone hose, etc.

I know you are right. Everyone will tell me to install it myself. Infact GudeH23a offered to give me a hand with the install. Can't beat that kind of offer
Old 08-12-2002, 05:06 PM

The reasons I don't want to do it myself are 1) Too many comitments on my time for now. 2) Can't afford to be without the car for too long. 3) Need to purchase additional tools for a turno
always expect the unexpected! if u don't have much time to do the install yourself, don't do it. Things can, no, things WILL go bumpy, even with the best of them..u need to plan on that...if someone tells u it will take them 8 hours, expect 16 hours...plan ahead...the shop that told u 20 hours prolly can actually do it in 8 hours, but they plan ahead....
if u can't afford to be without the car for long, then don't do it! again, plan ahead...get a rental...use ur mom's car or ur friend's car...plan on making quick trips to and from the auto parts store...
if u plan for the worst, then u'll be prepared for it...if things go smoothly, then even better! but don't paint urself in the corner....

dude, i'm not trying to scare u, but this is what u need to expect whenever u start tinkering with things...u have to learn how to do it urself...and learning is the best way to do it, becuase then u can troubleshoot and fix **** urself and save money in the long run...PLus u'll get more respect for it
Old 08-12-2002, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just out of curiousity what shop was this?
Old 08-12-2002, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WTF -- 20 hours to install a custom turbo set up. (APEX i GSR)

this is what i would do if i was in your shoes?

can any one in the atlanta georgia area help me out w/ my turbo install, i'm willing to pay if that but i want a professional job please ps...i'm going to need the tools as well to get this done....

H-T is a very family community...i'm sure they'll be plenty that'll help.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:08 PM
Trial User

Default Re: WTF -- 20 hours to install a custom turbo set up. (APEX i GSR)

Trust me I know the unexpected will happen and it will take twice as long as expected. Everytime I install something it is a much bigger PITA than I planned. Which is a big reason I did not want to deal with it myself.

But a shop that installs turbos should be able to give me a pretty good estimate. Or just qoute me one price, if the install takes longer they loose if it takes less time they win. Tell me something like $800 plus parts and tuning.

APEX i GSR -- Hit me up with an email if you want the name of the shop. I may do business with them at some point for something in the future so I do not want to throw their name out all over the net. Also I want to be clear I am not trashing any of their work, I am just outraged at the price they gave me. When I am ready to have the install done I might give them another shot - I will give them a complete list of parts that I have to install. I will probably end up doing some of the work myself, just not all of it. They are doing some work for a friend of mine, we will see how that turns out.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

local shop was going to charge me $300 installed for my kit, but i didn't need any parts...i ended up doing it myself w/ a few firends...didn't have a clue about turbo then...i'm glad took the time and did it myself...i had it all done over a weekend, because i had a hard time w/ the oil sending unit....
Old 08-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm kinda in the same boat, but lucky Arturbo offered to help me with the install, here in TEXAS. I have my eyes on the Greddy Kit and its pretty much plug and play but Im sure we will run into the unexpected, etc.

Try and set aside the time, if not then just wait. I think eveyone should know exactly what's under there hood so you know whats going on!! The more you know, the more powerful you are. Knowledge is power