Notices

WRX 13G to 14B compressor upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX 13G to 14B compressor upgrade...

Hey, I know this doesn't pertain to Hondas, but seeing as this is the best FI forum on the internet and all....
My question concerns upgrading a WRX compressor to a 14B compressor off a 1st gen eclipse M/T.
What would be involved? Ideally, I want you to say "the wheel will fit right in"...
I know the fins are of different orientation, hence the G vs. B, but would I have to machine the housing to get the wheel in? Or could I swap the whole compressor housing over?

Well, It's 3am, and I'm tired and rambling. I've been up for a while doing a lil homework on this, and figured I'd ask this question before going to bed.
Thanks guys.

Alex
Old 10-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: WRX 13G to 14B compressor upgrade... (JalopySiR)

bump because i got a wrx turbo on my honda and i'd like to know this too
Old 10-25-2004, 10:04 AM

Default Re: WRX 13G to 14B compressor upgrade... (SOHC_MShue)

Its not going to happen.... TD04 vs TD05 there parts are identical in design, but different in measrments...

I just asked my turbo guy that same question about 20 minutes ago...
Old 10-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WRX 13G to 14B compressor upgrade... (89dxhunchback)

I don't understand. Even if I were able to use the TD05 compressor housing, it wouldn't fit?
I need more clarification.

EDIT: Just read your other thread. Disregarding anything this turbo guy (not you, the 2.5" DP guy) has to say.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

O.K. so I've been fartin' around the internet on my day off. Here's what I've discovered:
The 14B wheel is possibly a no-go, simply becuase you would at least have to either bore out your stock compressor housing, or swap to a TD05H compressor cover. Still, doesn't seem to difficult. Anyway.
I've found that the 15G compressor wheel from a Volvo may be a go. This turbo still uses a TDO4(HL) compressor/turbine cover, but it could fit. Or the housing could be swapped. The "HL" signifies that there is a BOV integrated into the compressor housing.
Perhaps the entire CHRA could be swapped to the Subie TD04 turbine housing or something...
Here is a site with a ton of info about ANY mitsubishi turbo:
http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm
I'm off to waste more time.
Damn mitsubishi has some wierd nomenclature.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff.

We have a "sleeper 20G" here at the shop, the turbine wheel broke off the shaft, but the compressor side is still intact and installed into a 16G housing which has been machined to accept it. I can ask Jeff what he wants for it, if you're looking to assemble a bit more of an upgrade than a 14B/15G. Not sure if it's TD04 or TD05 chassis, btw, can find out.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WRX 13G to 14B compressor upgrade... (J. Davis)

Hey, what's up man?
I would assume that it would have to be a TD05 Chassis (for your 20G). Also, I am only looking for a slight bump in CFM at my current boost settings that won't require a completely new tune. other considerations are cost, and ease. A sleeper chassis would be nice, also, if only for the ease of bolting everything back up. I know, I know, I want my cake, and I also want to eat it.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know WRX have a wierd hybrid of MAF and SD, but no real clue about them... the MAF won't compensate for fuel?

That said, I'm not a big fan of stock ECU MAF cars with big turbos swapped on, the fuel is taken care of but some aspects of ignition are overlooked. The nice thing about SD is that you *have* to retune when a different (or any) turbo goes on. Maybe a PITA, but you reap what you sow.

The offer's open for a while, I doubt this turbo is going anywhere but on a shelf to collect dust.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WRX 13G to 14B compressor upgrade... (J. Davis)

As you may remember, I'm a dumbass when it comes to electronics/computer crap, but I LOVE mechanical stuff. I had a bitch of a time with my brother's Supra (goddamn MAF) and fuel cut, after we installed an intake, and a sick turboback exhaust. I finally just pulled off the turbine housing and ported the shiznite out of the wastegate. Damn computers!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:13 PM

Ok... "my turbo guy" told me about 2 hours after I posted that you couldn't upgrade to a 14B that my wrx turbo's compressor wheel was totally screwed !! Anyway, he said I could pay big$$$ to get the wheel from subu or he could bore out my housing, and make a sleeve for a T3 50-trim compressor wheel and use that !!! So I guess if you REALLY REALLY REALLY whated a 14B wheel, it could be done...

The Volvo td04HL-15T has a lager housing, the "HL" has nothing to do with the BOV.

Basiclly your suck with a 13T wheel using less your willing to pay $$$$ to get the housing bored and a custom sleeve machined....

I guess the guy with the 2000hp twin turbo mustang might know a few things about turbos after all, huh....

In my case a ******* "dirt dobber" ( basiclly a wasp that makes a dirt nest, if you didn't know ) made his home inside my oil feedline while I was building my IC piping, and the turbo only lasted 10miles.... It had blown oil seals anyway... He said he normally charges $550 to do simular turbo upgrades ( boring the housings and stuff )...

ANd just so everyone will relax, my 3'' piping is on the way...
Old 10-26-2004, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.mjmturbos.com/images/WRXHYBRIDT04.jpg
Old 10-26-2004, 09:03 AM

Default Re: WRX 13G to 14B compressor upgrade... (Sunrise City Rider)

I'm keeping the wrx compressor housing, not switching to a garrett, I'm only changing the wheel.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should check this site out:http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Turbo-rebuild.html
You'll notice that the compressor wheel isn't part of the shaft at all. It simply bolts to it against the backplate. You can fit up to a 16G in the stock WRX compressor housing, but you will have to make room for it. Boring or swapping housings isn't too big a deal, but I have no idea what he is talking about "making a custom sleeve" just for a compressor wheel...

Also, YES, the "HL" designation on the TDO4HL designates a BOV built into the compressor housing. Please refer to the link in my previous post.

Another thing, how much is going to be charging you for this service? If it is anywhere near 500 bux, I'd just get a brand new VF22. Biggest IHI compressor/turbine mated to the large P20 exhaust housing. Best bang for buck turbo, esp for a Honda App.

Finally, you may want to start refering to this forum more for you advice, than from this guy, but please remember to take everything with a grain of salt, not as gospel. Learn for yourself, and do your own homework. Just my .02
Old 10-26-2004, 07:56 PM

The T3's shaft is much larger in dia. vs the TD04, so in order for the T3 wheel to fit on the TD04's shaft he has to make a spacer/sleeve to take up the space between the shaft and compressor wheels "whole" in the center of it.

I really didn't think the 50-trim was gonna be too much bigger than my 13G/T mistu wheel, but after I saw them side by side, the 50-trim is quite a bit larger, and the housing is going to need a decent amount taken outta it to fit the wheel.

ALso.. The turbine wheel got "chipped" just a little of ONE fin at the tip, so he put a 15 degree clip on the turbine wheel too.

Basiclly I'm paying him to:
Rebuild/clean the turbo's bearings and seals
bore the compressor housing
supply the 50-trim T3 wheel
build the sleeve/shaft spacer
clipping the turbine wheel 15 degrees
compatition balencing
$400

Force-performance charges like $360 for JUST a rebuild and balence, not including shipping....
Old 10-26-2004, 08:03 PM

opps... They only charge $345, hehe... Also the turbos target boost is 10-13psi, so the turbine clipping and different/larger wheel isn't a big deal, if I was trying to run 20psi, I won't want the turbine clipped, but now I think its about perfect ( even though neither myself or the "turbo guy" is real big on "clipping").

Kinda cool having a full service turbo shop 6miles from your house
Old 10-26-2004, 09:23 PM

if your are running a wrx turbo, just upgrad to a vf-34 turbo. it's a bolt-on replacement for about 350 bucks used and will save you a lot of ******* trouble. throw in some 550's and you're good to go. i've done it plenty of times.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

O.K., I think I see where you're coming from. Instead of all that trouble, why not just use a mitsu compressor wheel? I know a 16G will fit...
Also, I'm NOT a fan of clipping at all, and 15 degrees is ALOT, but if one of your turbine wheels was chipped...
I hope it works out for you.
Later!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:56 PM

The replacement 13T wheel is aparently kinda hard to get ahold of ( like $125 ), and he only charged me $100 more for the T3 wheel and labor to make it work. I didn't buy a 16G wheel b/c he had the T3 wheel laying around and pretty much gave it to me ( not like there hard to come by ) and the 16G wheel would require the same labor to make it work, including the sleeve ( 16G = TD05, my turbo = TD04 )....

I could buy a V22 for $350 and it could be trashed when I get it.... I know this turbo is 100% rebuild, and garenteed for 1 year...

Sad thing is.... My car really didn't need anymore power.... But I'm not complaining, I'm just hoping to be equally fast on 8psi as I was on 10psi before.