Notices

Would a jrsc at 6lbs of boost shorten the lifespan of my motor??

Old 07-03-2002, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a jrsc at 6lbs of boost shorten the lifespan of my motor??

This is the only concern i have with turbos and superchargers, the car is a big investment and don't really want to shorten the engine life, does anyone have any comments??
Old 07-03-2002, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Would a jrsc at 6lbs of boost shorten the lifespan of my motor?? (2000GSR)

This is the only concern i have with turbos and superchargers, the car is a big investment and don't really want to shorten the engine life, does anyone have any comments??
doing anything that your engine was not made to do, can shorten the life of your motor.

but anything done right and not abused will last a long time. go turbo it is cheaper!
Old 07-03-2002, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a jrsc at 6lbs of boost shorten the lifespan of my motor?? (CovertFI)

but if i put the sc or turbo in, it will most likely get abused!!! I heard that with a turbo, your engine is done 60k later! is this true?? Supercharger is a little milder, would i be able to push out 200k with reasonable driving?
Old 07-03-2002, 05:53 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Would a jrsc at 6lbs of boost shorten the lifespan of my motor?? (2000GSR)

Supercharger is a little milder, would i be able to push out 200k with reasonable driving?
reasonable driving, frequent oil changes, doing major servicing early, and prayer.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Would a jrsc at 6lbs of boost shorten the lifespan of my motor?? (falconGSR)

As with any form of forced induction proper maintenence and excellent tuning as well as just using your head will dictate the life of the engine and forced induction components. We all know that many cars come from the factory with either superchargers or turbos. Granted they have lower compression ratios and are factory tuned to usually be mild on boost. With turboing/supercharging a naturally aspirated car there are more aspects to be concerned with....and it all comes back to maintaining, tuning and just being smart about things. If done correctly the engine should last a long time. What is a long time? That is variable. Even with the best tuning, etc a NA engine running FI is probably going to not last as lng as if it stayed NA.
It is a classic trade-off. If you want power you have to pay the $$$, invest the time, and expect problems. If you don't want to do any o those than you don't want the world of FI.....its that simple.
I personally have been running my SOHC VTEC (D16Z6) @ 6 PSI on a JRSC for over 2-1/2 years now. It is a simple, conservative set up that has given me absolutly no problems in the time I have had it which has equaled about 25K miles. 200K on a SC'd engine is a stretch. I have yet to hear of this being done, but hey.....you can be the first at this! The SC would almost certainly have to be rebuilt somewhere in that time frame.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas

It really depends on who installs it, how it's tuned, and how you take care of it. Modded NA cars aslo get fucked up when people go to far.

Just need to know what you are doing before you do it. Don't jump into it, take your time. I know going boost is fun and people can't wait, but jumping into it is what destroys a motor.

Take your time and learn about the things you need to know. Then do it when you're ready and you will be MUCH happier that you did. Don't make any mistakes.

Have fun.