Notices

Would boost cause the coolant line to pop off the overflow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would boost cause the coolant line to pop off the overflow?

the line that supplys the overflow tank with coolant...boost couldnt make this pop off, could it?

I just put the head back on, everything was torqued down perfectly (twice) and tonight..that line popped off and the car overheated. Car ran perfect all day till tonight when I boosted around 4 psi (not the first boost since the assembly of the motor)

here is the link to my original question.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=385043

thought I would post here to see if boost would cause any of this

any input is greatly appreciated...
Old 01-14-2003, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would boost cause the coolant line to pop off the overflow? (B18EG6)

You need to find the cause of the overheating whether its from a bad head gasket or fan switch, fan etc..... The cause of the res. cap popping off was probally due to the car overheating, pressurizing the res. and not a result of actual boost. Find your overheating problem and youll solve the mystery of the cap popping off.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would boost cause the coolant line to pop off the overflow? (proclassracer)

Might want to check if there's any air in the cooling system. That can cause hotspots, which can overheat too.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2003, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Would boost cause the coolant line to pop off the overflow? (B18EG6)

Sounds like a blown head gasket to me. Did you lube the bolts/studs before torquing your head down?

Pull off the radiator cap and hit the throttle. If water shoots out of the radiator, mostlikely you blew the headgasket. Its soulding like it already does that since the overflow blew off.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would boost cause the coolant line to pop off the overflow? (gtcali)

you need to find the cause of the overheating whether its from a bad head gasket or fan switch, fan etc..... The cause of the res. cap popping off was probally due to the car overheating, pressurizing the res. and not a result of actual boost. Find your overheating problem and youll solve the mystery of the cap popping off.
I replaced the thermostat 500 miles or so ago. I just replaced the fan switch, i broke one of them so I got a new one. Got a new FAL fan 500 miles ago.

Sounds like a blown head gasket to me. Did you lube the bolts/studs before torquing your head down?

Pull off the radiator cap and hit the throttle. If water shoots out of the radiator, mostlikely you blew the headgasket. Its soulding like it already does that since the overflow blew off.
ok, I will do that. I did lube the studs and nuts up for the head. My car did not overheat and THEN blow coolant...it was the opposite. I always make it a point to never take my eye off of the ECT gauge, EGT, boost, fuel pressure....all in constant watching.

MY car definately blew the line off first.

How could it be the headgasket though? I dont understand why a new headgasket (maybe....50 miles since I put it on) would blow at not even 4 psi.

I just woke up, im going to do a leakdown test as soon as I get something to eat
Old 01-14-2003, 12:57 PM

Water pump? Or it's a faulty cap... Never heardof that happening before
Old 01-14-2003, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Would boost cause the coolant line to pop off the overflow? (tzsir)

Air bubbles? Just a thought.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would boost cause the coolant line to pop off the overflow? (Sleepin')

Well I just did a leakdown test. Results were fine, no leaks.

I think I just put too much coolant in maybe, with a combination of air bubbles...and the coolant had nowhere to go but pop off that line?

Weird... Whats the proper way to bleed it? All i did was drain it from the bottom of the radiator....then replaced the plug down there...unscrewed the bleed bolt, and filled up until coolant came out the bleed hole.

Whats this i hear about starting the car and letting the air come out?
Old 01-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also- Could it be a sticky thermostat? Perhaps its stuck closed and didnt let the coolant flow?
Old 01-14-2003, 02:37 PM

Maybe... I wouldn't worry too much about it if it doesn't happen again.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Would boost cause the coolant line to pop off the overflow? (gtcali)

Of course the water will shoot out of the radiator if you hit your throttle . If you blew your headgasket you will see buddles coming out of the radiator.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would boost cause the coolant line to pop off the overflow? (Ltech)

Howdy. Well, started the car again today...tried the throttle trick.

The water (naturally) rises as the engine gets hotter. It barely overflowed....When I hit the throttle, NO bubbles came out, but the level increased ever so slightly.

my next question is...(if I dont get a response, ima start a new thread)

compression test= 190+ all 4 cyl
leakdown test= no leaks

Now, my car SOUNDS like it has a hole in one of the valves. You know the sound? a REALLY deep purr...and a loss of power.

NO CEL. I pulled the plugs, those looked good (a little on the lean side). Dist rotor looks a little worn, I will replace tomorrow.

What would cause my motor to hesitate NOW, and not last night, when it overheated? I just put in a whole new ferrea valvetrain, and boost never made it higher that 4 psi. EGT never higher than 760C.

What electrical problems might I encounter while trying to solve this problem? Could a leaky distributor cover/seal lead to failure? The hesitation is not constant, nor measurable. It happens only sometimes.

The spark plug wires measure resistance fine...all within spec.

Any suggestions?

thanks for reading,
Sebastian

[Modified by B18EG6, 3:39 AM 1/15/2003]