Notices

Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks.

I'm going to make an appointment with Vaportrail in June or July for August (Or possibly earlier).

I'm halfway done piecing together my kit. My thoughts were to keep boost @ 4.5-5psi for a few weeks and then drive down to FL to have Secret Services work their special sauce.

I know Hondata gives you a base map to use until you can get to your nearest tuner.

I'd rather not spend the money on a FMU if it can be helped so my question is can I just get a S200 with the boost option (or 2b) and run my car on low boost until I can get to Secret Services to have it tuned.

In case you need stats it will be a 2001 ITR motor on a t3/t4 .43 ar standard wheel and compressor housing. Spearco IC. I will have DSM 450's but I was not going to put them on until after I got down to FL. I will be using a AVCR for a boost controller and I will have a Walbro Fuel pump.

Any assistance?
Old 01-30-2003, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks. (Apex i ITR)

From what I gather (I'm in the process of ordering hondata) you can specify the rest of your setup too (like the 450's) and have an even better basemap. I'm hoping to run about 7psi on a stock b16 until I get it tuned. If it blows up, I'm getting the spare block sleeved anyway
Old 01-30-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks. (ricodemus)

dotn count on it working too well . I needed one too and SGT made me one for my set up specifcally and richened it up and ws still lean if i woulda drove on it i woulda blew my motor .
Thank god i decided to get it on a wideband right away . . . thanks to Boosted Hybrid.
Dude dont take the chance, IM deff glad i listened to everyone here when i asked the same question
Old 01-30-2003, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks. (itr206)

So I guess I'm stuck with not driving the car much and putting a FMU setup on it until I go get it tuned then hunh??? (This means I'll have to wait on putting the DSM injectors in as well).

Thanks for the tip guys.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks. (Apex i ITR)

well do what i did , you know anyone witrh a wideband to use for street tuning until you get to the dyno?
Old 01-30-2003, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks. (itr206)

damn, I'm getting scared because there arent any tuners close to here
Old 01-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks. (ricodemus)

No I don't. We spoke about the FMU step up and worst case scenario I'll do it that way (Not like I'll have a choice) I just thought I could get around not having to do the FMU setup until I went to get it tuned.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes do not drive you car alot unless it's an emergency. The base maps do not perform well at all without tunning... ask HXman he had a 2-3 page post about how the base hondata maps kept runing way too rich and fouling out his spark plugs.

don't risk it.
HTH
Old 01-30-2003, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks. (Charlie Moua)

OMG, dude you have a type r, you have $ for turbo, SPEND THE MONEY ON TUNING ASAP! its the most important thing, and if you cant GO BUY AN FMU! do you really want to see it blow up? an R is around 25k, turbo 3k, etc... why would you spend 30k on your car and not another 100$ for an FMU to keep it from blowing up?????? running that basemap is like leaving you keys in the ignition and your doors unlocked when youre away from your car. true most of the time, no one will steal it but there is a chance, so WHY TAKE IT??? dont spend 2k on a rebuild when you can just have it done properly... im not trying to be an *** but YOU OWN AN ITR, WHICH IS A PIECE OF ART, DO NOT DESTROY IT! IT WOULD PROVE TO BE A WASTE OF YOUR $!!!!

my 02
Old 01-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks. (Civic420)

I appreciate your concern, BUT 1) Its not an ITR (I sold my ITR and kept the screen name) its a civic with a ITR motor).

2) My turbo kit cost me about 1800 bux so I didn't spend 3k. I have quality parts but I'm trying to build a kit and get it tuned for under 2500 bux to prove a point to myself. I don't have a problem spending the extra dough on a FMU but I didn't want to because a) I'll sell it as soon I as I get a tuned Hondata and b) I've heard that is not exactly the safest way to run either (Almost like picking your poison).

Lastly it is a time & money thing. I have been selling parts off my civic that I won't need to turbo it so for the most part I haven't really spent a dime on all my parts so far. Time is also another issue. I have a life outside of this hobby/sport/addiction so July August is really the earliest tiem I can go down (Unless something free's up). I will have my kit completed parts wise by the end of march (earlier if I really tried).

It was a simple question. I'm getting a tial with a 4.5 psi spring and I don't plan on going over that until my car is dyno tuned (Which is my ultimate plan). Secret Services is in the next state so I don't have the luxury of throwing the kit on and towing it to the shop......hence why I need ot be able to drive it @ least there.

Make sense now.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:53 PM

I would get a fmu and sell it when you are done.. they arent too expensive and you will make most your money back when you are done..

but honestly you could slap the turbo on before you leave for tuning and stay out of boost...
without a checkvalve/missing link setup your motor will go into limp home mode as soon as it senses boost anyway, but as long as you stay in vacuum your motor will be fine... your car will not boost unless you want it to (unless you got a tiny little turbo that is too small for a r motor)
Old 01-31-2003, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks. (Phoenix GSR)

i wouldnt be to sure of that , mine was running lean even in vac.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why dont u just wait to put on ur kit till june?
Old 01-31-2003, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a base map for a ITR on low boost be okay to run for a few weeks. (rOby)

why dont u just wait to put on ur kit till june?
wait for boost? NEVER.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is my worst case scenario but I still would to be able to drive it sown to FL.

FMU is most likely the way I'm going to go. I was going to by the missing link so I don't (hopefully) throw any CEL's anyway.

Thanks for the help and opinions guys. I was just seeing if there was any alternative.