Notices

is it worth taking the factory A/C and P/S on a boosted D?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it worth taking the factory A/C and P/S on a boosted D?

92 si w/ Air conditioning and power steering (both are functional). Although I dont really use the A/C so I dont really care whether is there or not. so I have a few questions

1. Approximately how much weight are we talking about here for both components?
2. Would it be a significant performance difference?

stock d15b
2mm head gasket
precision 440
walbro 250 FP
p28 tuned w/ chrome PRO
APR head studs
Full Apexi Turbo kit
greddy FMIC
2.5" straight piping w/ flexpipe

180WHP
150 torque
@ 7 psi

Modified by stockegsix at 3:49 AM 3/25/2008
Old 03-25-2008, 06:05 AM

I took my A/c out because after i turboed my car the a/c didn't even blow as cold as it used to. I think its heat soak from the turbo and manifold to the condensor.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (WalkerGSR1)

There's a reason stock manifolds come with heat sheilds. The temp of the condensor has everything to do with how cold it can get.

IMO the significant difference is the road feel when you take PS off - I alway take that off my Hondas and recirculate them. If you already have AC and the turbo kit installed, don't bother unless you are having overheating issues. IMO AC should only be taken off summer daily drivers if you can't deal with the space issues, or its broke and you can't fix it.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's a reason stock manifolds come with heat sheilds. The temp of the condensor has everything to do with how cold it can get.

IMO the significant difference is the road feel when you take PS off - I alway take that off my Hondas and recirculate them. If you already have AC and the turbo kit installed, don't bother unless you are having overheating issues. IMO AC should only be taken off summer daily drivers if you can't deal with the space issues, or its broke and you can't fix it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so what do you recommend doing to help keep the heat off of the condenser?

wrap the downpipe and turbo manifold with exhaust wrap?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's a reason stock manifolds come with heat sheilds. The temp of the condensor has everything to do with how cold it can get.

IMO the significant difference is the road feel when you take PS off - I alway take that off my Hondas and recirculate them. If you already have AC and the turbo kit installed, don't bother unless you are having overheating issues. IMO AC should only be taken off summer daily drivers if you can't deal with the space issues, or its broke and you can't fix it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks. my turbo kit is A/C friendly and I have the down pipe warp with thermal warp. how ever with B-series I know freeing that crank pulley by removing the A/C and P/S belts made a difference. You don't think its relevant on a Single cam turbo D? BTW the car has an aluminum radiator (race) and is not really a daily driver.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only time i'd worry about removing the AC or PS is if the setup didnt fit with one or the other component in place. My first setup with a SPoolin log and 2.5" AC dp fit alongside my AC and i never had problems with it. Currently i'm running without AC or PS because of my past topmount which didnt fit with either unit in place. Its not bad to live without AC or PS after a few weeks...you'll get used to it in a hurry.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm crossing my fingers my AC will still work after my turbo setup is install. Otherwise I'm yanking that **** out.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (da_dude)

I removed my full A/C system and sold it for $400 on ebay. Greatest decision ever. Sure, I sweat ***** in the summer, but I shaved 50+ lbs off the car and half paid for my turbo in the process.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Legion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MeanGreenMachine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so what do you recommend doing to help keep the heat off of the condenser?

wrap the downpipe and turbo manifold with exhaust wrap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure some sheet metal heat shields w/reflective heat tape on 'em wouldn't hurt.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Legion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I removed my full A/C system and sold it for $400 on ebay. Greatest decision ever. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

dam u got good money for it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Man U FTW

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Legion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I removed my full A/C system and sold it for $400 on ebay. Greatest decision ever. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lucky bastard...mine is sitting in my garage, but this gives me an idea of what to do with it
Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Schister66)

^^

Every 18 year old ricer on honda-tech immediately tosses out their AC because they think it'll make them run 10s. As a result, there are mountains of AC systems floating around in the h-t classifieds. Combine this with the fact that nobody wants their AC, and you'll see why they aren't worth jack around here.

However, if you find an adult owner somewhere off the forum, it's a different story. I found some guy living in Canada somewhere (through ebay) who was tired of roasting in his car during the summer. He really didn't want to pay $1,000 (or whatever it costs at the dealer) for a new system. This, combined with the fact that I included every single little piece of the system (unlike 99.9% of the douches on h-t), made it a good investment on his part.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice info about A/C parts, however going back to the topic, will you see and feel power gains from removal of this component?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (stockegsix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't wanna interrupt your clown pitch there, but going back to the topic, will you see and feel power gains from removal of this component?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really. Removing the AC cuts about as much weight as your giant cast-iron turbo added on. You won't see any power gains seeing as the AC clutch only engages when you turn the AC on; the rest of the time it only idles which requires minimal energy.

The PS creates more full-time drag, but I wouldn't know how much power you gain back by removing it since I wouldn't actually remove mine for the world. No amount of added power is worth looking like a d-bag whilst random pedestrians gawk at you trying to muscle your way out of a parking space. Lucky for you, it only takes about 5 minutes to remove your power steering belt. Go ahead and give it whirl.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:20 AM
Man U FTW

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will you see and feel power gains from removal of this component?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would never remove it for the half whp gain that it'd give you...the only reason i removed mine was for fitment issues. Ditching AC and PS will free up a few hp, but not enough to justify their removal IMO
Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

Thanks bro, so both will stay on the car.. I'm just going to raise my boost to 10 lbs for more power.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a/c and soon to put the p/s in tomorrow.Never had an issue a/c is the best thing ever here in south florida. Keep it honestly until it takes a poop.

Modified by blue2000em1 at 5:35 PM 3/29/2008
Old 03-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blue2000em1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blue2000em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a/c and soon to put the p/s in tomorrow.Never had an issue a/c is the best thing ever here in south florida. I see it as this saying "I met a man with no turbo, till I met a man with no ac ". Keep it honestly until it takes a poop. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did anyone understand what hes saying??

But i do agree to keep it if u can and until it doesnt work, the power wont be noticable.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:34 AM

Default Re: (blue2000em1)

i live in the caribbean
i took out my AS and PS BELT.
i yet have to take out the ps pump, and lines ect

go for it
Old 03-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Legion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No amount of added power is worth looking like a d-bag whilst random pedestrians gawk at you trying to muscle your way out of a parking space.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, I have first hand experience with that. It sucks even worst trying to parallel park when you have no ps.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did anyone understand what hes saying??

But i do agree to keep it if u can and until it doesnt work, the power wont be noticable.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a joke you idiot , Sorry if you can't comprehend what I'am saying.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:35 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did anyone understand what hes saying?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I certainly didn't. Looks like a sentence fragment to me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks bro, so both will stay on the car.. I'm just going to raise my boost to 10 lbs for more power.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It literally takes 5 minutes to remove the PS belt. Why not go out and remove it real quick and see if you like it? I don't know why you're asking if you should/shouldn't like it's some kind of ordeal or irreversible process.