Notices

Worth going single cam Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth going single cam Turbo?

Ive searched threads but didnt find info I want to know. I own a 92 cx hatch and currently have a ls/vtec with type r pistons, gsr tranny, just a simple setup it rides nice, but now the valve seals are bad, piston rings are worn(it smokes alittle white, black and now bluish tint)

Anyhow, I am looking to be a bit different and still learning but was looking into building a sick single cam turbo for the street to push 350-400 hp. Ive been searching a lot but cant find the info I want. I want to know if its worth it. Parts seem to be way cheaper and been seeing sohc setups pushing lots of power on stock blocks, sleeves with block guard. I however would probably use darton sleeves. Any sohc pros out there please write me back and i will probably have a few questions along the way. Thank you so much!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Worth going single cam Turbo? (92cxbutiheardvtec)

To the top
Old 08-10-2006, 07:05 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

search dude...lots of guys are making tons of power on d16s. they are nice and cheap, but its up to you. do whatever you want.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Worth going single cam Turbo? (redzcstandardhatch)

I am still searching here but happy with results yet... how many pounds on a z6/y8/d16 would i have to push to get 350-400 daily? I see the z6 and y8 is my best bet? You are right parts are cheap and if i was to blow a block i can buy another for about 100 lol.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92cxbutiheardvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am still searching here but happy with results yet... how many pounds on a z6/y8/d16 would i have to push to get 350-400 daily? I see the z6 and y8 is my best bet? You are right parts are cheap and if i was to blow a block i can buy another for about 100 lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

depending onm tuning and turbo size
but i have seen some t3t4 make 350-400 on 20-25psi
Old 08-10-2006, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Worth going single cam Turbo? (BlackCRX)

SO PER SAY A PRECISION SC44? 50? 57 TRIM? I HAVE ALWAYS DELT WITH DOHC. BUT YEA I DEFINITELY WANT TO RUN IN THE 11'S IN MY EG ON A SINGLE CAM MOTOR TURBO.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:46 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can run a dsm turbo, you can run a blowzilla....

it depends how wild you wanna go. anything and everything has been done, etc..

personally, i'm making around 300 whp, stock non-vtec head, etc, on about 20 psi with a t3/60-1 setup.

stock sleeves, srp's/eagles
Old 08-10-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

I want to have a reliable build for 350-400 daily, want to beat up on the b-series. Tires of being the same like everyone else. Ive been reading in here and there seems to be a lot of d series happy owners. most of the builds im seeing are stock blocks or somewhat build but mostly stock sleeves.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

Here is a D16Y8 Turbo set-up!

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1622221

Joshua
SlowMotion Motorsports
Old 08-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92cxbutiheardvtec)

do it...its fun and can be done relitively cheap boost makes me happy
Old 08-10-2006, 08:08 AM

Default Re: (pbsracerx)

Thanks pbsracerx, sick numbers man, nice setup although I dont know most of the parts you have listed lol. You enjoy your single cams or are you planning on going to a dohc?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a good thread that should have just about any info you want on sohc setups https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1643764

There's another good site for them too, just look in my sig
Old 08-10-2006, 08:56 AM

for the little money ive spend, i'm pretty happy with mine.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Worth going single cam Turbo? (gitwidit)

thanks man, looking at it now... you all are a lot of help!! Definitely a site id recommend for friends. Some are on here now but im in tampa and the tamparacing.com just doesnt have many friendly peeps. If i could give everyone a rep lol I would.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:04 AM

Is it worth sleeving the block or just put a block guard and some nice tuner toys rods and pistons? What about rod bearings , crank bearings? I mean if its safe to drive 350-400whp on a stock crank, bearings with a block guard then that would be fairly cheap and sweet
Old 08-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought a bare block for 15 bucks! it just needed a hone and deck. just gotta look in the right spots!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Worth going single cam Turbo? (bch5428)

not sure of sizes and all but i put a quick list together advice needed maybe a better direction for quality parts?

Tuner toys rods
Srp pistons
fidanza flywheel
quaiffe diff
skunk2 cam gear
crower camshaft
crower valve train
z6/y8 tranny?
z6 head?
z6 block?
act stage 3 clutch
turbo precision? not sure of size? (want a
ram horn exhaust manifold (not sure of brand yet)
skunk 2 or y8 intake manifold?
intercooler kit (not sure of brand yet)
possibly darton sleeves/ golden eagle block guard?

This is just a quick list i put together. :Reminder: IM a noob to single cams.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

definetly worth it to run the ol single cam....

if i had my car stock again, and was startin, i would do that for sure...
cheap and you can buy a really nice setup and just change the manifold and retune if u wanna jump to a bseries again
Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. Lots of SOHC endorsements. However.... let me answer a few questions for you.

"Is it worth going sohc turbo?" - Yes, if you already have a sohc or are looking to replace a sohc. What makes it "worth it" is that it is cheap to begin with. If you are looking to fully build a block with sleeves, etc., for God's sakes build what you have. The cost of stepping down (and it def. is a step down) to sohc would be a needless waste. You alread have the ingredients for a great boosted motor, and you can make tons more power with your current block/head combo without even sleeving. I don't reccomend boosting on those Type R pistons, though.

Bottom line.... Why switch? Build on what you already have. GSR tranny, VTEC head, 1.8l block = great starting place for a turbo setup!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good point man, i mentioned that it was worth it to boost a D series... but like ^^^ said.... if u have the bseries setup now, build it if u want or boost it as is... but i agree 100% those pistons have to go
Old 08-10-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Worth going single cam Turbo? (Wilky)

("""Wow. Lots of SOHC endorsements. However.... let me answer a few questions for you.
"Is it worth going sohc turbo?" - Yes, if you already have a sohc or are looking to replace a sohc. What makes it "worth it" is that it is cheap to begin with. If you are looking to fully build a block with sleeves, etc., for God's sakes build what you have. The cost of stepping down (and it def. is a step down) to sohc would be a needless waste. You alread have the ingredients for a great boosted motor, and you can make tons more power with your current block/head combo without even sleeving. I don't reccomend boosting on those Type R pistons, though.

Bottom line.... Why switch? Build on what you already have. GSR tranny, VTEC head, 1.8l block = great starting place for a turbo setup! """"")

That's why I am asking for advice and you guys are referred by alot of the tampa area. Im aiming for about 300-350 w/e 400 would be nice but I was told that 300 to start out with on the street would be sweet. The guy that usually builds my motor just informed me to stay with ls/vtec and said to just push around 12lbs to make around 300 with a good tune and to just change the pistons.. He didnt have time to tell me what pistons...

My set up as of right now is LS block (Type R pistons), LS rods, Type R oil pump. GSR Tranny, B16 head with b16 internals, Typhoon manifold. I have Type R cams and valve train ready to go though. The main reason why im even thinking about going boost is because A. all motor is boring and B. it needs a rebuild because its smokes white, little bit of black and when I got on it ive been told a bit of blue. That tells me my valve seals are done, cam seals, and need new piston rings.

Modified by 92cxbutiheardvtec at 12:34 PM 8/10/2006

Modified by 92cxbutiheardvtec at 12:56 PM 8/10/2006
Old 08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't even need to sleeve the block to make those numbers. It would just be for peace of mind. Just pistons/rods and a really good tune will keep you safe and you can run 400hp all day long. Lots of guys on here are putting up much higher numbers on similarly built motors.

BTW - It would take you a whole lot more work to pull those same numbers out of a d16 - head doesn't flow nearly as well. I am rocking a y7 and most guys are putting down 200whp + or - on 10 psi. Given that one psi from one turbo isn't the same as one psi from a smaller or larger one, that is pretty much the average on a decently tuned d16. 200-210whp is almost universally accepted as the safe limit for a stock d16 bottom end. (yes, I know, many have gotten more - I am thinking daily driver here.)

You will make a whole lot more power at the same psi with your b18 ls-v. Think about it... most kits (ie - Rev Hard, Drag, FMax, Greddy...) advertise numbers in the 230-250whp range on the wastegate spring, usually 7-8 psi. Lots of room to grow. You get the picture? (BTW - build your own kit. This is not an endorsement of these products; only to give you an idea of where you will start at versus a worked sohc.)
Old 08-10-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Worth going single cam Turbo? (Wilky)

WOW, you all are great help man, definitely keeping me interested in this site. I didnt expect to get so many great answers but thought it would be worth a try. I was just worried about spending a crap load of money to go turbo on the ls/v but looks like if I piece together my kit with like an sc 44 precision turbo... etc. It woudl cost fairly cheaper than an entire kit. I have also found some decent ebay kits. I would like to feel safe with the block and sleeve but damn its big money , how much are block guards... and would I use golden eagle?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

going turbo on a d is the best thing you can do for it. At least in my opinion
Old 08-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you tried
turbod16.com

alot of dyno charts, engine builds, etc , on that forum

Quick Reply: Worth going single cam Turbo?