Notices

worse comes to worse, what can a bent shaft do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worse comes to worse, what can a bent shaft do?

i have an apexi turbo kit on my z6 motor.. well after about 4 years of owning the kit, the turbo decided to take a ****.. side to side play is the same as it was 3 years ago, but it seems to move excessively while driving, causing the fins to grind against the housing..

i whines and grinds pretty good sometimes and smokes.. i have a new turbo on the way but, i have to drive it until it gets here since its my only car.. i have no other transportation and my work schedule does not work with anyone elses..

so what can happen? ive been driving this way for about 2 weeks now.. it now just started smoking, only when i have to give it a little more gas.. could anything happen to the motor? input please.. TIA!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:45 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: worse comes to worse, what can a bent shaft do? (g23_ej1)

Well if parts of the fins break off they could get sucked into your motor. Other then that I would say thats probably your only concern.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:13 AM
New User

I would disconnect the turbo from the charge pipe IN CASE the turbo does blow up completely and gets through the ic and motor possibly. Disconnect the turbo from ic piping and drive it like that, no worries of messing the turbo up by overspinning it , the damage is already done
Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: worse comes to worse, what can a bent shaft do? (Boostfed.com)

Actually, take the turbo out, pull the turbine housing off, then make a simple plate to block off that hole...asuming its like a T3 housing which uses bolts, not a v-band or clip/ring. I can't recall what it uses.

The other thing you could do is take the shaft out, disconnect the turbo lines, run a normal CIA to bypass the fmic/turbo, then go from there. You'd have some exhaust gas leak from the shaft hole if you don't seal it up (long bolt/nut), other than that, it'd be fine.

Be aware both methods would slightly screw up AFR's for when the O2 sensor isn't making corrections, such as WOT. I know I wouldn't run a grinding turbo. What would you say if someone came up to your running car, reved it to 3k, and sprinkled aluminum grit into your motor? THats what the grinding compressor blade is doing...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: worse comes to worse, what can a bent shaft do? (HiProfile)

hmm.. sucky.. man i really dont have the time to pull all that crap off until my days off and my days off should be the day that i get my turbo sigh..
Old 05-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If thats the case and you want to toss the turbo out, drill a few bolts through the compressor housing into the wheel. Doesn't that sound fun? Just make sure you remove the coupler before doing this so no metal grit gets into your intake.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: worse comes to worse, what can a bent shaft do? (HiProfile)

man i suck. i guess all i can do is pray and hope that nothing happens.. now what if the turbo seizes up? can anything happen to my motor then?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well.. havent you read the answers? It will grind stuff into your car from the compressor blade/housing.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: worse comes to worse, what can a bent shaft do? (Flashmn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flashmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well.. havent you read the answers? It will grind stuff into your car from the compressor blade/housing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i have.. then i asked could anyhing happen if it seized up.. it wont be spinning anymore and no more stuff will be flying into my motor..
Old 05-23-2007, 12:43 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g23_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea i have.. then i asked could anyhing happen if it seized up.. it wont be spinning anymore and no more stuff will be flying into my motor.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that would be EXTREMELY BAD. Your car would not run at all at this point and you would be **** out of luck.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: worse comes to worse, what can a bent shaft do? (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, that would be EXTREMELY BAD. Your car would not run at all at this point and you would be **** out of luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn it! someone kick me in the ***** haha.. today it ran fine! its acting stupid.. i dont even get into boost at all and today it was super quiet! i hope it stays this way until i get my turbo next week......

thanks for all the answers boys..
Old 05-25-2007, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well looks like the seals on the turbo finally took a big fat ****... after driving today the oil pressure was acting really weird.. kinda fluctuated at first when cold.. so i kept a good eye on it, but when i looked back i saw TONS of smoke.. popped the hood and there was oil coming from the turbo and what it seemed like out of the bov.. drove the car home 2 blocks and had my wife take me to work.. new turbo will be here thursday so i gotta find a car to borrow.. wish me luck..