Notices

wont go into boost! oil in piping!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:41 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont go into boost! oil in piping!

so i've somewhat solved my fuel problem. new inline and fmu diaphragm replaced. downshifted to 4th gear on the freeway and saw low green readings on the air/fuel guage. its a good thing. at least... better than the yellows and red's ive been getting at WOT. BUT... still... NO BOOST!

to confirm my suspicions of blown turbo seals, i took the intercooler piping apart starting from the intercooler. pulled exhaust side piping from intercooler. oil leaked out! ok, its not a crazy leak... but oil in the intercooler piping is a no-no. so i pulled the intake side piping from the intercooler. more oil leaked out! actually, it was more like it "poured" out. ok... this is not good.

im sure my turbo seals are blown. can someone confirm what might be goin on with my "dude, where's my boost" problem? im not going into boost.

and to vent even more... on my way back to my apartment, some dude in a dropped typeR with a JDM front-end pulled up next to me and the dude downshifted on my *** and took off. i just sat there... couldnt do shiet, knowing my car was not in good shape to flex back. i hate when that happens. haha

Old 11-20-2003, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wont go into boost! oil in piping! (SIK IN DA HED)

not real familer with turbo's yet, but it sounds like your turbo has kicked the bucket
Old 11-20-2003, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wont go into boost! oil in piping! (JonGP4)

Hows the shaft play? Any excessive up and down movement? How about in and out?
Check those, also look for boost leaks w/ the IC piping. What does your boost gauge show for vacuum at idle?
Old 11-21-2003, 06:48 AM
New User

Default Re: wont go into boost! oil in piping! (integra_gsr98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra_gsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hows the shaft play? Any excessive up and down movement? How about in and out?
Check those, also look for boost leaks w/ the IC piping. What does your boost gauge show for vacuum at idle?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i havent been able to check the turbo. my boost guage shows a normal reading of 19 at idle.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:38 PM
New User

bump
Old 11-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have to say that your seals are on the way out. Could be worse, get a rebuild kit, or send it to a shop to get rebuilt.

Good use of your judgement not to flex back at the teggy, no point in making things worse!!
Old 11-24-2003, 12:25 AM
New User

There's a shop where u can send your turbo and they will check it out for free. They'll estimate the charge for a rebuild and even if you dont want to rebuild it there they will ship it back for free.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:42 AM
New User

Default Re: wont go into boost! oil in piping! (integrx)

what shop would that be?
Old 11-24-2003, 10:47 AM
New User

i believe it was http://www.turbochargers.com, yep if you go to their website, and click about us.
FREE TURBO & SUPERCHARGER ANALYSIS & REPAIR ESTIMATE
FREE DOMESTIC FREIGHT RETURN IF WE DON'T REPLACE OR REPAIR TURBO

Modified by integrx at 4:34 PM 11/24/2003
Old 11-27-2003, 04:31 PM
New User

so if the seals are bad... would i be able to boost at all? i checked the turbo for shaft play and nothing obviously wrong with the turbo except for the seals leaking oil into the intercooler piping. what else could be wrong?

on a side note, my airtex inline fuel pump sounds like its not running right again. its brand new and it went from high pitched humming to barely any humming again. same sound of the last airtex inline pump when it went bad. maybe its not the pump and its the fuel pressure reaching the pump? everytime i turn the key to power the ignition, i can hear a sound like the fuel hose is choking for fuel.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:00 AM
New User

Default Re: (SIK IN DA HED)

bump
Old 12-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIK IN DA HED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if the seals are bad... would i be able to boost at all? i checked the turbo for shaft play and nothing obviously wrong with the turbo except for the seals leaking oil into the intercooler piping. what else could be wrong?</TD></TR></TABLE>

On my other car, the seals are bad, but it still makes boost just fine and everything, you just have to watch out for other things, I have heard of turbos with bad seals that weren't fixed actually doing serious damage and letting metal shavings into the intake where they fucked up the engine.

Wether this is purely from the seals going bad, I don't know, but that was one of the things wrong with the turbo before it destroyed the motor.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:34 PM
New User

Default Re: (Briman2021)

so if a turbo would still spool and boost... then any ideas on why im not going into boost? i need some ideas here.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:04 AM
New User

bump
Old 12-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it will boost with bad seals...car will smoke insanely!!!

as for the "NO BOOST" problem...check vacuum lines going to your wastegate and intercooler/charge piping...could have a leak....any leaks around the manifold?.....also...19psi of vacuum at an idle seems kinda high to me...my buddies LS/Turbo i just finished runs 5psi of vacuum at idle with no problems!

just a thought.........good luck!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Briman2021)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Briman2021 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On my other car, the seals are bad, but it still makes boost just fine and everything, you just have to watch out for other things, I have heard of turbos with bad seals that weren't fixed actually doing serious damage and letting metal shavings into the intake where they fucked up the engine.

Wether this is purely from the seals going bad, I don't know, but that was one of the things wrong with the turbo before it destroyed the motor.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The bad seals cause shaft wobble. When there's shaft wobble, the compressor blades are likely to scrape the compressor housing sending metal shaving's into the engine.

On a side not, my turbo has leaked oil outta the compressor housing for 2 months and it boosts fine. I dont think it's the seals though, i think it's from too high of oil pressure. Maybe ill make a better return line too though, but it seems almost perfect right now. idk