Notices

Wiring gauge power to dimmer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring gauge power to dimmer?

I wired up my boost and EGT gauge illumination power to the solid red wire of the dimmer switch. This is the variable output of the dimmer switch I measured to make sure I was tapping the right source. This is on an EK hatch BTW. Gauges work but when it was time to test the illumination, we ran into a problem.

The cluster illumination brightens or darkens opposite to the new gauges depending on where the dimmer is adjusted. If set at MAX, the boost and EGT are fully bright but the cluster is dim. Somewhere in the middle and the cluster is dim and the new gauges are super dim. Can't live with that or illumination that is going to be super bright if wired to constant 12V.

The cluster is fused for 7.5A. I don't think I am adding that much. My other option is the wire in a seperate circuit from a constant 12V and run another pot to control the illumination to the new gauges. But I am hoping you guys with gauges already have a solution.

BTW, i searched
Old 05-11-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Wiring gauge power to dimmer? (Laserjock)

For my 96 gsr, connect positive wire from the gauge light to solid red wire of the dim switch and connect negative wire from gauge light to red w/black stripe wire of the dim switch.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Wiring gauge power to dimmer? (porsche997)

all i know is i just had to wore up a dimmer and it was a ground. so that might be 1/2 your prob.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring gauge power to dimmer? (porsche997)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by porsche997 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For my 96 gsr, connect positive wire from the gauge light to solid red wire of the dim switch and connect negative wire from gauge light to red w/black stripe wire of the dim switch. </TD></TR></TABLE>

did you happen to measure the voltage to those 2 wires? and where was your ground refernce? on my EK, the center wire (black) is ground, the solid red is the variable dimmer output and the red w/ stripe wire is the switched 12V. If I did that to my wiring, i would essentially be bypassing the dimmer. I could be wrong....dunno?!? I'll recheck.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring gauge power to dimmer? (drunknbass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drunknbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all i know is i just had to wore up a dimmer and it was a ground. so that might be 1/2 your prob.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't understand what you're trying to tell me.....
Old 05-12-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Wiring gauge power to dimmer? (Laserjock)

ok.. i havea jdm eg6 hatchback. the jdm cars/clusters dont operate with a dimmer, because the cars dont have dimmers. well i had to put in a regular us eg cluster in my jdm car and the cluster didnt light up with the headlights. so i looked at the dimmer spot on the plug and noticed my car (same as all jdm eg6's) doesnt have a wire in the dimmer pin on the harness. so i just plugged a + into the spot where the dimmer wire would run, then i noticed the cluster lights were opposite the headlights. if my headlights were off my cluster lights were on, and vise versa.. so i ran a ground into the dimmer pin area on the cluster instead. and the light on the cluster are now hw they should be, they go on with the headlights.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring gauge power to dimmer? (drunknbass)

thanks for clearing that up. i can't picture that right now but i will look into that when my head is clear this weekend.