Notices

will a garrett GT turbo directly replace my t3/t04b turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a garrett GT turbo directly replace my t3/t04b turbo?

looking to upgrade my turbo and was wondering if Garrett GT2871R turbo with t3/t4 housing directly replace my t3/t04b turbo without any modification.

my t3/t04b has a 5bolt exhaust flange.. if i get a Garrett GT2871R with the same inlet and discharge flange, it should be a perfect fit right?

i have a 96 ls with a drag kit...
Old 11-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can't imagine why it wouldnt work....
Old 11-26-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Re: will a garrett GT turbo directly replace my t3/t04b turbo? (biada1)

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=GRT

thats the turbo im thinking of getting. it should directly bolt onto my old setup if i choose the t3/t4 style discharge right?

Old 11-26-2006, 04:31 PM

That looks like a drop-in.

Except addition of water cooling lines.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about the wastegate...
Old 11-26-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: will a garrett GT turbo directly replace my t3/t04b turbo? (SlowB16si)

I bet the fit is going to be a little different, especially if you change the size of your exhaust housing. I had a 4 bolt .48 exhaust housing on my t3/t04e, and when i switched it to a 5-bolt .63 housing, it moved my CHRA almost 3/4" to the right and up. Your probably going to have to make some sort of modification to accomodate the new turbo.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: will a garrett GT turbo directly replace my t3/t04b turbo? (InfamousDC2FI)

well, my turbo is already a 5-bolt housing, and its already water cooled, so im guessing this turbo should be a perfect fit right?

Old 11-26-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The Oil return flange and gasket is different. You'll also need the correct .035" restrictor for that cartridge. I do recommend that the return line be a -8AN instead of the usual -10AN because of less oil that is needed, but that is up to you.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is semi off topic but why would you go to a smaller return? Don't you want the turbo to be able to drain as fast as it can to prevent backup? J/W
Old 11-26-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is semi off topic but why would you go to a smaller return? Don't you want the turbo to be able to drain as fast as it can to prevent backup? J/W</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have found mainly because of the fact that not as much oil is used and required to lubricate the shaft in a ball-bearing cartridge than that of a Journal bearing. A smaller return would keep larger amounts of oil from draining too fast as say in a journal bearing. Again, something I've mainly used from experience with Ball-bearing cartridge units. It's not necessarily set in stone, like the restrictor issue that constantly comes up.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:10 PM

Default Re: (TheShodan)

i guess i will stick with a t3/t4 turbo since its mostly used for street use anyways.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (biada1)

if you get the t3 5bolt discharge drop in housing from atp it will bolt in no problem just change the oil drain flange, add the restrictor and you're set.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:40 AM

Default Re: (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have found mainly because of the fact that not as much oil is used and required to lubricate the shaft in a ball-bearing cartridge than that of a Journal bearing. A smaller return would keep larger amounts of oil from draining too fast as say in a journal bearing. Again, something I've mainly used from experience with Ball-bearing cartridge units. It's not necessarily set in stone, like the restrictor issue that constantly comes up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you think it is a good idea to choke off the return? i have never run a GT turbo... but that sounds retarded.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ndogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you think it is a good idea to choke off the return? i have never run a GT turbo... but that sounds retarded.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you happen to notice the restricter size he suggests? Like maybe with such a small feed hole... the oil amount will be really reall little? Or realize the fact that the BB turbos require lubrication differently than journal bearings? One of the reasons that they many times come with their restrictor built in?

Think of it this way... traditional turbo bearings are like engine bearings... constant large amounts of oil is required. BB turbos are like wheel bearings.... much less required.

Don't just go bashing one of the people who trys to post usefull turbo info from time to time. Think before you speak.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (splitime)

use whatever atp sells, i think its a 0.030 restrictor if my memory serves me.

if you dont it will blow oil straight past the seals on the turbo and your car will smoke like hell.

and choking off hte return is NOT a good idea, the oil pressure is held between the bearings and the feed, they are not designed to have any restriction on the outlet

that being said, with an 0.030 restrictor -8 is PLENTY for the return as long as you can route the hose so its not kinked, etc. the oil drain flanges for the gt turbos have a 1/2inch (i think) npt which adapts to a -8AN fitting or a 1/2 inch barb.. its been so long it maybe 5/8 npt and 5/8 barb, but you get the idea
Old 11-28-2006, 07:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you happen to notice the restricter size he suggests? Like maybe with such a small feed hole... the oil amount will be really reall little? Or realize the fact that the BB turbos require lubrication differently than journal bearings? One of the reasons that they many times come with their restrictor built in?

Think of it this way... traditional turbo bearings are like engine bearings... constant large amounts of oil is required. BB turbos are like wheel bearings.... much less required.

Don't just go bashing one of the people who trys to post usefull turbo info from time to time. Think before you speak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i noticed he said to use a restrictror. telling someone to use a return line that stops up the return from draining too fast sound ******* WRONG. i am trying to stop the spread of misinformation.

granted a -8 will be large enough to drain the oil properly... but if you actually took his advice and used a line small enough to slow down the flow of oil... you will get a buildup of oil in the turbo.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes i noticed he said to use a restrictror. telling someone to use a return line that stops up the return from draining too fast sound ******* WRONG. i am trying to stop the spread of misinformation.

granted a -8 will be large enough to drain the oil properly... but if you actually took his advice and used a line small enough to slow down the flow of oil... you will get a buildup of oil in the turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For someone who has never run a BB turbo... you seem to feel that you know alot.

Did you happen to also know... that basically all TheShodan does... is turbos?

Old 11-28-2006, 07:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For someone who has never run a BB turbo... you seem to feel that you know alot.

Did you happen to also know... that basically all TheShodan does... is turbos?

...</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is true. i do know alot. are you going to tell me you think the proper way to run a bb turbo is to choke off the return to keep the oil from draining to fast?

i am not trying to offend theshodan. obviously a -8 will work, but not because it keeps the oil from daining to fast.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that is true. i do know alot. are you going to tell me you think the proper way to run a bb turbo is to choke off the return to keep the oil from draining to fast?

i am not trying to offend theshodan. obviously a -8 will work, but not because it keeps the oil from daining to fast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then you realize that you are saying the suggestion will choke off the return... but that the suggestion of -8 will work. Basically you are saying no and yes at the same time.

It works because it suits the application.

Its as simple as that.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Then you realize that you are saying the suggestion will choke off the return... but that the suggestion of -8 will work. Basically you are saying no and yes at the same time.

It works because it suits the application.

Its as simple as that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i never said a -8 would choke off the return. i said suggesting that you should choke off the return was retarded.

it works because it does not choke off the return like theshodan suggested. your argument this whole time has been that choking off the return is a good idea on a BB turbo...
Old 11-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are not many people on this site, if any, that know more about turbos then theshodan. Maybe Im missing this but his post does not say anything about "choking off" the return. There is a big difference between pressure and flow. Just stop while your ahead.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Re: (slow poke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are not many people on this site, if any, that know more about turbos then theshodan. Maybe Im missing this but his post does not say anything about "choking off" the return. There is a big difference between pressure and flow. Just stop while your ahead.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShoDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A smaller return would keep larger amounts of oil from draining too fast as say in a journal bearing</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm not trying to **** anyone off. i just don't want people to start running -3 return to "keep larger amounts of oil from draining too fast"

as long as your return does NOT restrict the oil from leaving the turbo, it doesn't matter what size you run.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm not trying to **** anyone off. i just don't want people to start running -3 return to "keep larger amounts of oil from draining too fast"

as long as your return does NOT restrict the oil from leaving the turbo, it doesn't matter what size you run.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look at the things you have posted... you are the only one saying anything about CHOKING the return. Why the hell do you think I've even bothered posted in reply to you?

You start out by saying TheShodan is saying we should Choke our returns... which he didn't. Then you just keep going.

For those that read the thread, listen to advice from jdogg and TheShodan.... ignore all else.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:55 AM

he didn't say "choke the return"

he suggested "A smaller return would keep larger amounts of oil from draining too fast"

wich is the same thing and they are both WRONG.

so i really don't know why you are arguing with me.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I give up, its like hitting my head against a brick wall.

Quick Reply: will a garrett GT turbo directly replace my t3/t04b turbo?