Notices

wideband questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 PM
mike93eh

Default wideband questions

can you just replace the stock o2 sensor with the wideband sensor or do you have to weld a bung in for the wideband and keep the stock o2? if so where is the best location for it? sorry for the noobish sounding questions. thanks.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:15 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wideband questions (mike93eh)

You need an ECU take can interpret the wideband signal...so if you don't have the tuning software (hondata, AEM, etc.) then no it will not work. Did that answer your question? If you have that, then yea you can replace it with the wideband...but if not just weld in another bung.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:15 PM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: wideband questions (Dunc)

i have the zietronics wbo2 and it gives you a wire to run the narrow band signal to the ecu. best location is anywhere where the sensor will be in a vertical position. i put mine close to where the factory one is. it is the bung closest to the exit. the smaller bung infront of it is for the egt thermocouple.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 AM
mike93eh

ok im using e-manage....do i still have to keep the narrowband sensor? if so should i weld it up next to where it is? its near the top of the downpipe. greddy kit.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why you have to put it vertical ?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

You dont.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why you have to put it vertical ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

so it won't get fouled
Old 11-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG6JUNKIE)

you just need a wideband with a narrowband output almost all of them can do this, then all you do is connect the narrowband output to the O2 signal wire on the ecu and bingo you have a wideband output (screen display) and the ecu will still read a narrowband signal and not throw a CEL. Now if you have an ecu that can handle a wideband signal such as a uberdata, crome, hondata, aem ems, then just hook the wideband signal wire to the O2 signal wire on the ecu and your good to go. Just remember with uberdata and crome you need to disable closed loop and O2 heater circuitry, i'm not familiar with hondata or aem ems so i cant say anything about those.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:57 PM
mike93eh

i still dont understand which one is it? im using e-manage. do i keep the narrowband and weld a new bung in for the wideband?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

If ur wideband has a wire coming out of it for narrawband and another for wideband, then hook the narrowband wire to where the stock O2's signal wire is.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:10 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If ur wideband has a wire coming out of it for narrawband and another for wideband, then hook the narrowband wire to where the stock O2's signal wire is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i see, so then ill be good to go, it doesnt matter or not if im using e-manage.

does anyone know if the plx m-300 has a narrowband output? or the m-250 with gauge combo?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the narrowband out and put the wideband O2 in there and from the control box on the wideband run the narrowband output it has to the ecu

the 300 and 250 have narrowband outputs, i know i have one
Old 11-03-2005, 02:25 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the narrowband out and put the wideband O2 in there and from the control box on the wideband run the narrowband output it has to the ecu

the 300 and 250 have narrowband outputs, i know i have one </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool thanks. anyone know the color wire on a obd2 p28 that is for the o2 output? or the plug location? i can find out but just thought id ask to see if anyone knew off the top of their heads, thanks.

one more thing...how long do the sensor usually last if i just drive the car on the weekends? and how do you know when it goes out?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

one more thing...how long do the sensor usually last if i just drive the car on the weekends? and how do you know when it goes out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

its a regular bosch sensor so it should probably give you somewhere around 60,000 miles
Old 11-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpetro1)

ok to conrim this, it doesn't matter if you have Hondata/Uber/Crome/etc... if the WB controller has a narrow band output you can even hook it up to the stock OEM ECU without having to worry about calibration issues?

The reason I ask is because I'm going to have a custom downpipe made for me, with an extra o2 bung welded on for the WB O2, I do not have either hondata, uber, or crome yet but will soon. If I dont need an extra o2 bung, then I wont have one put on. Can someone elaborate.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:06 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (VspecSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VspecSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok to conrim this, it doesn't matter if you have Hondata/Uber/Crome/etc... if the WB controller has a narrow band output you can even hook it up to the stock OEM ECU without having to worry about calibration issues?

The reason I ask is because I'm going to have a custom downpipe made for me, with an extra o2 bung welded on for the WB O2, I do not have either hondata, uber, or crome yet but will soon. If I dont need an extra o2 bung, then I wont have one put on. Can someone elaborate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i understand from reading the above. if it has narrowband output you can just replace your stock sensor with the wideband.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep you can just completely replace you stock sensor. an ems such as crome or uberdata just kinda makes the install easier because you can disable closed loop and o2 heater to stop any CELs from popping up. with a stock ecu you will need to use the resistor to prevent codes for o2 heater.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:50 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (dpetro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yep you can just completely replace you stock sensor. an ems such as crome or uberdata just kinda makes the install easier because you can disable closed loop and o2 heater to stop any CELs from popping up. with a stock ecu you will need to use the resistor to prevent codes for o2 heater. </TD></TR></TABLE>

does anyone know if you can disable closed loop and o2 heater with e-manage?

can you explain more about the resistor to prevent the cel?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not really sure about the e-manage features but i dont think you can do it

as far as the resistor goes, i think it is used to apply the resistance that the ecu is wants to see for the o2 heater signal. the wideband is not heated so when the ECU doesnt see the heater signal it gives a CEL.

maybe someone with more experience could chime in because im not ecaxtly sure the procedure for how or where to install in. obviously it needs to be on the o2 heater wire but im not sure the exact procedure
Old 11-04-2005, 09:13 AM
mike93eh

bump for resistor help..
Old 11-04-2005, 02:32 PM
mike93eh

anyone know anything about the resistor?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe its a 10w 10 ohm resistor that goes between the 2 heater wires, but i would check for a second opinion...

let me search for a sec imight find out exactly what it is

edit: here is a thread i found that might be ehlpful
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1026855
Old 11-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On a side note, the EGT is worthless at that location, it should be at a distance of about half the diameter of the exhaust port away from the exhaust port. Also, the wideband should be as near to vertical as possible, to prevent moisture from building up inside the sensor..

Old 11-04-2005, 04:37 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe its a 10w 10 ohm resistor that goes between the 2 heater wires, but i would check for a second opinion...

let me search for a sec imight find out exactly what it is

edit: here is a thread i found that might be ehlpful
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1026855</TD></TR></TABLE>

that just made everything all confusing for me. heh

what do you mean when you say between the two heater wires? isnt there just one heater wire on the stock o2?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that just made everything all confusing for me. heh

what do you mean when you say between the two heater wires? isnt there just one heater wire on the stock o2?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you talking to simulate the heater? so no CEL's? (Sorry, too lazy to read this whole thing).

I can take a picture of mine if you want sometime of what I did.

Quick Reply: wideband questions