Notices

WI seen through "Sight Glass" On Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WI seen through "Sight Glass" On Plenum

If any one is interested in how water behaves inside a plenum, this video will give you some idea:

RIGHT CLICK SAVE AS
Old 06-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WI seen through "Sight Glass" On Plenum (Boostage)

thats ******* crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

So not to be a dick, but whats the point to showing this, is there some kind of testing with this or just something that you found interesting.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: WI seen through "Sight Glass" On Plenum (urbansi)

I'm curious, from watching that video, can you explain how water acts in a plenum? I couldn't get anything from it.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone correct me if im wrong but the purpose of water injection is to cool the intake charge......its injected at high pressure as a "mist" and should evaporate quickly before entering the combustion chamber.

looking at that video clip is looks like its sucking in water like crazy........that cant be good.....or am i wrong?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like the water isn't really well atomized from the video, but it could be a "dead spot" within the plenum so the water just sits there and builds up (and twirls around). I am thinking in order to make the sight glass, they has to extend the plenum too much from the ports so there is a dead spot between the sight glass and the last runner/velocity stack.

If the sight glass was fabricated right at the top of the plenum with all four runners/stacks visible, then it would be pretty cool to see how the mist gets sucked into the engine (from a top view)
Old 06-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WI seen through "Sight Glass" On Plenum (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone correct me if im wrong but the purpose of water injection is to cool the intake charge......its injected at high pressure as a "mist" and should evaporate quickly before entering the combustion chamber.

looking at that video clip is looks like its sucking in water like crazy........that cant be good.....or am i wrong?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are two main benefits from water.. The side benefit (from a good atomized spray) is the ability to cool of IAT's when the air stream turns water into vapour. The real key benefit of anti-detonation property would be water being "combusted" when entered in the engine. Water can't be burned, and it takes a lot of heat to vapourize the water inside the chambers. This in turn cools down the air/fuel mixture by a lot, and prevent heat spikes. The water doesn't even have to be that fine of a spray especially when guys begin to spray huge amounts of water in really high power setups (upwards of 15-20% of fuel mass)