Notices

Why are rubber hoses so bad? Turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why are rubber hoses so bad? Turbo setup

There are many people on this board that do not use or like rubber hoses for their oil lines/coolant lines, why? If the rating of those lines are well above the pressures and temps of the stuff inside them, why bother spending more for the braided?

I ask this because I am almost finished putting together my turbo, just need the lines and fuel management (afc/dsm inj). Oh, and by the way I am under $100 into the project:
HF mani
T3 turbo (pick and pull off volvo on half price day!)
Charge pipes (no intercooler though)
Oil cooler (need some lines also and a oil filter relocation kit)

I still need BOV also, but I got that covered the next time out to the pick n pull. Does it look like anything is missing other than fuel management, BOV and oil/coolant lines? I am going to try boosting 5 or 6psi until I get an intercooler setup.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why are rubber hoses so bad? Turbo setup (technine)

i think they mean for ic hoses. my oil return is regulare 300 degree hose and it works fine so far.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:47 AM
New User

The stadard rubber fuel line is NOT temp rated for oil temps or the turbo temps. If you run rubber line to the turbo for your oil feed the heat transfer from the turbo to the rubber will melt it in about 10 minutes. Use the high temp braided stuff, it pulls the heat away much better.

For coolant you are OK, but they have a tendency to break down over time, especially when under constant 220degF temp and 6 psi pressure. I use the rubber now, I plant to upgrade to braided this winter.

Randy

BTW- you are missing a downpipe and possibly a wastegate if the T3 doesn't have an internal.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Why are rubber hoses so bad? Turbo setup (RGAZ)

i have looked at stainless and regulare heater type hoses and the degree raiting is the same 300 degrees what hose are you talking about? this hose should be the same as the fuel line size hose also. i would NOT use an non ss hose as your supply line for the fact that it could rub on some thing and make a hole!

The stadard rubber fuel line is NOT temp rated for oil temps or the turbo temps. If you run rubber line to the turbo for your oil feed the heat transfer from the turbo to the rubber will melt it in about 10 minutes. Use the high temp braided stuff, it pulls the heat away much better.

For coolant you are OK, but they have a tendency to break down over time, especially when under constant 220degF temp and 6 psi pressure. I use the rubber now, I plant to upgrade to braided this winter.

Randy

BTW- you are missing a downpipe and possibly a wastegate if the T3 doesn't have an internal.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why are rubber hoses so bad? Turbo setup (RGAZ)

Randy,

Oops, I guess I ment the braided rubber hose (the one with the lining in it) compaired to stainless braided hose.

Yeah, down pipe is not on their, although I have something to get me to a muffler shop which is a pipe from the exhaust housing that goes down to the bottom of the car (open down pipe). The wastegate is external. Anything else I am missing?
Old 06-14-2002, 02:32 PM

What are you using for added fuel supply?
I would really recommend you upgrade your fuel pump. The fuel pumps on those cars are shitty. Try giving G&J a call for the oil feed line. Got no Number for them but they are in Ontario, CA .....they have every kind of ss line and fitting imaginable. And all at wholesale prices.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why are rubber hoses so bad? Turbo setup (boostedhb)

I haven't put the turbo on yet, but I'm going to lean at the AFC hack. My fuel pressure will remain the same as stock though. I just wanna know if there is any problems with running braided rubber oil lines. I don't really wanna shell out for the SS ones and I can get the others locally in town.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:48 PM

My ss braided oil feed line cost me 24 bucs.....that's not alot to shell out.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How long was the line for $24? Did that include the fittings and adapters or do you just use clamps? I would like to use just some hose clamps to connect the line.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:09 PM

Uhhmm it was somewhere between 2 and 3 feet. And it has the fittings on it.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, mine will end up costing about $50 for feed and return, at the most. Look up an Aeroquip dealer under "hose and fittings" in the yellow pages. The place I went to had some great guys.