Notices

Why not a BPV (bypass valve), instead of a blow off valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not a BPV (bypass valve), instead of a blow off valve?

Can u use a BPV instead of a BOV in a D16 turbo setup? I do not want the sound of a BOV, but most of the kits only have BOV's and make no mention of a BPV, unless I have the terms all wrong.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why not a BPV (bypass valve), instead of a blow off valve? (Deam)

You can do it but it makes a simple thing unnecessarily complex. There is no need to recirculate the compressed air with a MAP based system.

I do understand not liking the sound though. I got a 1st gen DSM bypass valve that I run to atmosphere, essentially a BOV. It is pretty quiet and not nearly as annoying as a type S or a TXS HRFL. it's a good compromise i think and the DSM valve is plenty adequate for under 15 psi.

Unless you have a long intake on your turbo and/or an air box you will still hear a bypass valve too. 1g DSM for $30 owns you!
Old 01-07-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Why not a BPV (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> 1g DSM for $30 owns you!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same price i payed for mine, DSM rocks. Its the classic Whoosh without being super loud like the HKS SSQ
Old 01-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why not a BPV (Del_Slowest)

i paid less but thats usually what they go for. Yup woosh, all air no high pitched stuff. I'm pretty sure you can only hear mine in the car BTW
Old 01-07-2004, 06:19 PM

bypass valves open (some partially, some fully) under vacuum conditions too. make sure you have a filter on it.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Default Re: (filthy scarecrow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy scarecrow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bypass valves open (some partially, some fully) under vacuum conditions too. make sure you have a filter on it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you want to have a filter on it? It is air that has already been filtered and it is just going back into the compressor intake.

Anywho, I agree with not wanting to hear that BOV PFFFFFFFTTTT sound. Allow me to enlighten you with a simple formula. BPV = functional, BOV = Stunna, yO!
Old 01-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tjbizzo)

Yup. You can do it, no huge benefit and not required, but will work fine. On a side note, I'll probably be recirculating a type S on my D series turbo.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: (tjbizzo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tjbizzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why would you want to have a filter on it? It is air that has already been filtered and it is just going back into the compressor intake.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

bypass valves don't *have* to be recirculated. i thought he was talking about using somehting like the OEM MR2 valve on a honda and venting it to atmos. in that case, you want a filter on it because it opens completely when you're just cruising. if you recirculate it, obviously there's no filter needed.

the BPV will also help your off boost throttle response.
if you're just looking to get rid of the BOV sound, just recirculate whatever valve you use to the intake. it'll pretty much muffle it.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (filthy scarecrow)

The purpose of a BPV vs. a BOV for me was purely acoustics, and not any performance differences.

If a BOV can be made to not have the sound it makes, then that would work.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:07 PM

ok, im just a newbie to turbos so bear with me, but i thought the purpose of a BOV was to release excess boost ... therefore if u put a BPV in there wouldnt it not release the boost at the correct pressure? or what?
Old 01-10-2004, 12:25 PM

Default Re: (uranazo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uranazo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, im just a newbie to turbos so bear with me, but i thought the purpose of a BOV was to release excess boost ... therefore if u put a BPV in there wouldnt it not release the boost at the correct pressure? or what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A BPV is just a BOV that vents back to the intake pipe BEFORE the turbo.