Notices

Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular?

I am debating on SC'ing my B18C1 CRX. I used to have a JSRC on my D16a back in the day before engine swaps were routine.

My question is why isn't the Vortech unit more popular? It rates more HP gain. I barely drive my CRX. It only comes out of the garage for open track events and to shake some cobwebs off.

My current set up is mild NA, but would love to get back to boostin with a SC if the power band is right for road racing conditions. READ midrange-top end HP/TQ

Is the JRSC powerband that much more linear in delivery vs. a Vortech?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular? (APEX CRX)

vortech's s/c are good the only problem is that, they want 2 much $$$$$$$$$ for it and if you go turbo is less money and you'll get better results
Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular? (1fastEK9)

I wouldn't necessarily say money is the problem. The problem is that a centrifugal blower sucks compared to a turbo. You pretty much get all the bad qualities of a turbo and a supercharger in one package.

A centrifugal blower makes peak boost at redline, so it acts like a giant turbo that takes forever to spool. The peak number is ok, but the power under the curve sucks. To top it all off, you have to deal with belts (slipping, breaking, coming loose, etc) and the parasitic drag they cause on the motor.

Using a centrifugal blower over a turbo on a honda is just retarded...
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular? (tony1)

Yep Tony hit it on the head, centrifugal SCs suck, peak boost at peak rpm.

I went from one on my s2000 to a turbo, I was at 305 at 6 psi at 9000 rpms. Now Im at 305 at 4000 rpms
Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular? (MidwestAutoWorks)

OK,

but what if you're running near peak 80% of the time? when I track my car I don't think my revs hardly ever dip below 6k and I redline at 9k so it seems like the Vortech "seems" ideal?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by APEX CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK,

but what if you're running near peak 80% of the time? when I track my car I don't think my revs hardly ever dip below 6k and I redline at 9k so it seems like the Vortech "seems" ideal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well then considering a supercharger wouldnt seem bad if you needed a more linear power band..

its all dependant on you and how you want the car to respond on and off the race track.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular? (Mykizism)

it isnt popular cuz it blows ***.

take the shitty qualities of a roots type SC (lack of top end), take the bad qualities of a turbo setup (usually lag) and what do u get? a vortech...the **** of both worlds, who can ask for more?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular? (wHOAlly)

shitty quality of a roots style? WTF are you on
Old 07-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular? (MidwestAutoWorks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wHOAlly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">qualities </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidwestAutoWorks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shitty quality of a roots style? WTF are you on</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
Old 07-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by APEX CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK,

but what if you're running near peak 80% of the time? when I track my car I don't think my revs hardly ever dip below 6k and I redline at 9k so it seems like the Vortech "seems" ideal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They make peak boost at redline and generally make 1/4 of that at half of redline. So, if you make peak boost at 9k, say 10psi, at 4500 you will make 2.5psi. Any decent turbo kit should make full boost pretty close to there which gives you much more power everywhere under the curve.

All depends what you're looking for. The good thing about a vortech is that it doesn't have traction problems, partly because of the linear power curve, and partly because they don't make any power. lol
Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

soooo to sum it up, Vortech bandwagon nay? not enough good qualities to go with a Vortech?

Maybe I'll go back to a JRSC with hi boost and water injection?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Using a centrifugal blower over a turbo on a honda is just retarded...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I had room this would be in my SIG!

Jaon Greshaber or whatever the f*** his name is old Owner of ClubSi had a Drag3 turbo BUT I guess he blew some turbo seals and scrapped it for a Vortech SC kit and a pretty involved build, it didn't ever do ****, at least in my opinion. I know someone else with one, it hasn't been too impressive. Belt slippage problems, area under the curve, blah blah blah

But that Endyn Supercharger kit is da bomb!!! He is gonna put Turbo manufcaturers out of business! lol roflmao!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the vortec is a turbo on a stick. you might as well get rid of the stick and get a nice small turbo.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spets)

i used to work at vortech, and i must say when i was putting together the b series kits, its alot of bull **** u need to go through, ALOT OF bolts washers and brackets, kits for 350z and other apps are even worse, plus the brackets weigh a great deal.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gt28rs kinda guy it sounds like to me and i dont no half as much as some people on here maybe even a t3 super 60 if you were doing a low boost app
Old 07-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spets)

I know all about having a turbo is the way to go route, but I really don'y want to do a small turbo for open track events. I just think the heat involved of 20 minute hot lapping is not condusive to keeping a motor together.

I think I'll look into the Endyne setup.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:38 AM
New User

Default Re: (APEX CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by APEX CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know all about having a turbo is the way to go route, but I really don'y want to do a small turbo for open track events. I just think the heat involved of 20 minute hot lapping is not condusive to keeping a motor together.

I think I'll look into the Endyne setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OMG , then get the Vortech instead if that is the case! lol
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OMG , then get the Vortech instead if that is the case! lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't get the remark? sarcasm, opinion or being a dick?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:51 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by APEX CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't get the remark? sarcasm, opinion or being a dick?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I suggested the Endyn kit, it was total sarcasm! Opinion maybe, Lary Widmer is the KING OF BULLSHITTERS and would never support him ever again. The Supercharger is SNAKE OIL, it was posted like 8 years ago and has never come to FRUITION. He gets upset if you ask him about it, he also will yell at you as a customer too which is totally unacceptable for a business.

Being a DICK, yeah that also

Order some injectors from Endyn, he never charges the card. Then when you call onthem he states they were sent and the card declined THOUGH there is sufficient funds to cover it. Then Larry charges teh card twice and yells at ME for calling to ask questions about an order. Once the charge goes through, the injectors are overnighted BUT previously he stated he sent them anyways.

Later get a letter from Larry Widmer BUT wait it is only addressed from him, it is a letter from his bank, Bank Of Beverly Hills from the president that APOLGIZES for running my card twice and having me bounce checks due to their error. Did Larry ever apologize? NO what he did was cursed out a customer of his.

That is my experience BUT also know that the SUPERCHARGER is something just to get the Honda communities attention it was supposed to be the END ALL PRODUCT for FORCED INDUCTION on a Honda.

to Endyn

I am sorry this rant prolly shouldn't be here BUT still looking out for you or anyone, I do believe the supercharger kit is BS and just snake oil,that is an opinion.

Superchargers on a Honda is just not all that great IMO, RMCdaniels seesm to love his but to each his own

Whatever you decide on hope you are happy with it, I just think do it once and do it right. With this a turbo is the best option again that is opinion so... Good luck
Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular? (Boostfed.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If I had room this would be in my SIG!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

done, i got your back
Old 07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

ok, well after all the banter here on Superchargers and Endyn... I will stay NA

for now at least. who here can tell me their Turbo setup and uses the car for track

road racing/track &gt;&gt; not drag racing track
Old 07-17-2007, 12:49 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by APEX CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, well after all the banter here on Superchargers and Endyn... I will stay NA

for now at least. who here can tell me their Turbo setup and uses the car for track

road racing/track &gt;&gt; not drag racing track</TD></TR></TABLE>

Full Race has Road Race Specific kits sir , I am a dealer for them do GUARANTEE THE BEST PRICING ANYWHERE

http://www.full-race.com/catal...ee833

I am sorry I don't have PERSONALY experience with that specific kit nor Road Racing as I have never done it BUT all Full Race kits and products are top nothced and go through extensive R&D

"Full-Race ProStreet RR kits are designed for the serious Road Racing enthusiast. The stage 1 GT kit is based upon a GT2860RS ball bearing turbo and uses some of the finest components we have to offer. This kit provides awesome throttle response with a great amount of midrange and fair top end power.

Applications available:

'94-01 Integra

Other applications coming soon.
Applications Notes:

Retains power steering.

Is not air conditioning compatible.

Allows use of a full length aftermarket radiator.
Kit includes:

Full-Race T3 ProStreet RR Manifold

Thick wall stainless steel construction
Bottom mount design
Precision robotic TIG welding
Made in the USA
Full-Race 3" 4-bolt Downpipe

Stainless steel construction
Precision hand TIG welding
Smooth transitions for maximum performance
Two O2 sensor bungs included
Design incorportates a high quality flex section
Full-Race Intercooler

All aluminum Air-to-Air Intercoolers are oven braze, 100% TIG welded and have 15 fins per inch.
Extruded tube and fin design for minimal pressure drop
Full-Race GT 28RS Ball Bearing Turbo

Different trims and ARs available to support your power goals.

Tial 44mm Wastegate

Multiple spring rates available

Tial 50mm Blow Off Valve

Non recirculating valve, billet aluminum, extremely high quality

Full-Race Intercooler Piping

2.5 in. mandrel bent aluminum
Full-Race Oil Line Kit

Feed and return from block to oil pan and everything in between.
Full-Race Vacuum Line Kit

All lines and fitting required to plumb the turbo system and related accesories.
Full-Race Hardware Kit

Includes all hardware required to bolt on the kit.
Full-Race Gasket Kit

Includes all necessary gaskets.
Full-Race Silicon Coupler Kit

2.5" silicon couplers with Full Race logo. Couplers are constructed from 2 ply fiberglass reinforced silicone with a 110 wall thickness.

Full-Race Hose Clamp Kit

T-bolt clamps included for every coupler.

*Turbo kits are manufactured when ordered*
"

Old 07-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my only insight to making a centrigfugal blower work...would be to gear the blower down to spin it faster to make full boost sooner in the rpm range...and use a wg to bleed off excess boost similar to those on drag cars...

Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (drumking15)

I would have to agree with boostfed that a properly sized turbo will give you a lot better performance and response than supercharger. A properly tuned setup won't decrease your reliability and longevity of your motor any more than a supercharge and maybe even less due to the lack of parasitic drag that a sc produces.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (QuarterMileMaster)

There are a lot of benefits of running a roots or twin screw sc in road racing application. The main pro is the way the boost pressure is made. Its far easier to control than a turbo, even GT series turbos. Call on rmcdaniels or Tony The Tiger to comment as they have quite a bit of experience with both. To make a turbo setup work with a lapping car, it needs to be designed for such an application. The FR kit is a joke as far as road racing goes. It's the same kit they use in every other kit except a smaller turbo. That's not R&D. Personally I'd look to use a smaller volume manifold with smaller primaries to allow runner length and a proper merge collector to minimize reversion but also allow the best turbine response. I'd also want to keep the intake volume as small as possible without causing too much of a restriction at the top end to allow maximum throttle response.

Quick Reply: Why isn't the Vortech SC more popular?