Notices

Why honda does'nt do any turbo engine from the factory?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory?????

title says it all
Old 01-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why honda does'nt do any turbo engine from the factory????? (birz)

I've read somewhere they did some prototypes in Japan for some boosted Honda Legends, no mass production though. I have seen Japanese Honda catalogs of all-wheel-drive integras from a friend that's a tech for an Acura dealer. That would be sweet to boost an all-wheel-drive teg.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory????? (birz)

Who knows, but they better develope something soon cause every other car manufacturer is making factory turbo equiped vehicles...Mitsu, Dodge, Subaru, and now ford is rumored to be turboing the focus. It sure would be nice to see a turboed AWD RSX
Old 01-23-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory????? (Revi-Ra)

Actually in Japan, Honda has turbocharged and intercooled factory motors.
If the US market approaches the demand the Japanese market has for the same variety of vehicles, I see no reason why we wouldn't eventually see them over here.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory????? (n1ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n1ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually in Japan, Honda has turbocharged and intercooled factory motors.
If the US market approaches the demand the Japanese market has for the same variety of vehicles, I see no reason why we wouldn't eventually see them over here.</TD></TR></TABLE>
are u sure...what cars/motors?
Old 01-23-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory????? (Revi-Ra)

there already is a turbo focus. just not in the states.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory????? (n1ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n1ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually in Japan, Honda has turbocharged and intercooled factory motors.
If the US market approaches the demand the Japanese market has for the same variety of vehicles, I see no reason why we wouldn't eventually see them over here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but wern't they just small 3 cylinder commuter cars?
Old 01-23-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory????? (lazerus)

Either build factory turbo motor or make Vtec GODDDDD when it kicks in
Old 01-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory????? (Acronym)

Honda has turbocharged the Honda City in Japan, known as the Jazz in europe and elseshere. Search on the net, you'll find stuff about it, looks like a small element.

Honda has always been priding themselves on NA cars that can rev high to compensate for the lack of displacement and also be extremely low emissions vehicles. I don't see them giving use ANY turbo cars/trucks in the future.

Just a fyi, I believe the Honda City does a 15.2 stock in the 1/4 mile.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory????? (birz)

VW is also comin out with 550hp R32 Stage II twin turbo charged GTI. I saw it in a resent issue of Motortrend.

here's some vids that i found
http://www.streetracersonline.com/videos/b7.php
http://www.streetracersonline.com/videos/b7.php
Old 01-23-2004, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory????? (d_mart)

oh, and i forgot to mention. it's base price is gonna be around 50k (bling bling)

did i also mention that it's AWD
Old 01-23-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Why doesn't honda do any turbo engine from the factory????? (d_mart)

Problably has to do with fuel economy as well, vtec pretty much provides the same power as factory tc motors, however has much better economy, also to carry a factory warranty on turbo's can't be the easiest thing ... drivablility is another issue...

There are two things to look at for honda engineers, one is Vtec the other is turbo, the whole idea with vtec is to have an engine with a large rpm powerband and decent power, the problem with fitting a factory turbo would be that if a smaller turbo is selected, then vtec will basically be a waste since it will be to much of a bottleneck on higher rpm's(The small turbo), if they throw vtec out the window and go turbo ... what does that do for honda pride? and also a big waste in development of the vtec system, and the car would have worse economy for the same power.

Now if they were to match a turbo to flow enough hp at 8000rpm with vtec then there will be much more lag compared to the competition, and the average user would not like the slow mild cam, then sudden turbo kick in followed by the vtec kickin and BaM, right into the rev limiter ... I can see this becoming a warrantee nightmare in the end.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:39 AM

plus, it might have something to do w/ reliability... you can beat the crap out of Hondas, but if they turbo'd a car that would go out the window
Old 01-23-2004, 10:43 AM
vod

"I have seen Japanese Honda catalogs of all-wheel-drive integras from a friend that's a tech for an Acura dealer."
OMG so what are the chances of getting a conversion here since there are OEM AWD parts for the teg?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vod)

i thought in japan the new nsx-r's or s a version of the nsx is supercharged? i could be wrong thoe?
Old 01-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gdrum)

My turbo honda passed emssissions with flying colors

Honda is just stupid in America. They will come out with a factory turbo / performance car and a big fat v8 with in the next year or two or they will be forgotten. Look what's happening in import drags already. Honda started the scence, now all the big names are moving to domestics. Why? RWD, bigger motors, factory performance parts, etc etc etc.

I love my honda, but these ***** better open their eyes a little farther, or i'm going to go buy me one of those v8 ford focuses. Now thats a cool car. Talk about sleeper.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:22 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Why honda does'nt do any turbo engine from the factory????? (calib17a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by calib17a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have seen Japanese Honda catalogs of all-wheel-drive integras from a friend that's a tech for an Acura dealer. That would be sweet to boost an all-wheel-drive teg.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BULLSHIT!

cant believe nobody caught this yet.

edit- there was a version of the crappy CRV realtime 4WD version hacked onto a teg chassis but nothing like a DSM AWD or EVO type active AWD system.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why honda does'nt do any turbo engine from the factory????? (falconGSR)

c'mon guys.....if hondas came with turbos that would take all of the fun out of our hobby
Old 01-23-2004, 01:00 PM

thats not stock by any means hpa is an aftermarket tuner. the r32 is a 6 cylinder stock no turbo and will be that
Old 01-23-2004, 01:10 PM

Default Re: (Johnyquest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnyquest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My turbo honda passed emssissions with flying colors

Honda is just stupid in America. They will come out with a factory turbo / performance car and a big fat v8 with in the next year or two or they will be forgotten. Look what's happening in import drags already. Honda started the scence, now all the big names are moving to domestics. Why? RWD, bigger motors, factory performance parts, etc etc etc.

I love my honda, but these ***** better open their eyes a little farther, or i'm going to go buy me one of those v8 ford focuses. Now thats a cool car. Talk about sleeper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, what a typical greedy american post. Why not just put your own damn V8 in the civic. Honda isn't about producing a fast drag car, or they'd have a V8+ RWD sports car, not a great handling, nimble I4 RWD convertable.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DavidR)

Because it would cost more. Besides, Civics are economy cars, not sports cars.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:47 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Why honda does'nt do any turbo engine from the factory????? (falconGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falconGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BULLSHIT!

cant believe nobody caught this yet.

edit- there was a version of the crappy CRV realtime 4WD version hacked onto a teg chassis but nothing like a DSM AWD or EVO type active AWD system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, i saw it, just didn't feel exhausting my fingers for someone stupid enough to believe that anyways.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:57 PM
New User

Default Re: (Johnyquest)

DavidR, Honda is by no means stupid...american honda on the other hand is smart...

They aren't concerned with the people that want turbo civics. That portion of the people tha buy honda's is very small and even more to prove a point most that have/want a turbo honda buys them pre-owned which doesn't help american honda out at all!

*Most* people that buy honda's want good gas mileage, comfort, reliability, etc. They could care less about a 300 hp civic...besides look what happened to honda when they brought out the newest civic si, we couldn't GIVE them away...I don't think honda will try again for awhile!

Even for the previous model si's, they represented only a small segment of the civic's sold...

Honda in america is smart for what they are doing...you can't just say that "american honda is stupid" because YOU want them to build a factory hotrod...honda will not be forgotten in the next 2, 10 or 20 years unless the quality of their cars gets bad.

Old 01-23-2004, 02:23 PM
vod

"lol, i saw it, just didn't feel exhausting my fingers for someone stupid enough to believe that anyways."
That's funny. I've seen RWD cars converted to AWD in 1/2 a day's time. So why would it make me stupid to think that there were some AWD tegs?
Old 01-23-2004, 02:27 PM
H-T White Ops

Do a search for the "Honda City", not civic.

Quick Reply: Why honda does'nt do any turbo engine from the factory?????