Notices

Why do people run two wastegate?

Old 08-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people run two wastegate?

Pretty much I saw buddies Evo running two waste gates and I am not sure why he would ran them. Any help would be nice so I can clear my mind with theories.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people run two wastegate? (MagnaniEG6)

gonna take a stab at it, but i beleive its to run more boost and have less creepage

if im wrong please correct me
Old 08-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people run two wastegate? (Granger)

sounds like could be true dont want to throw his setup out there but lets just say he has lots and lost of boost built by AMS
Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, say you are running run 44mm or even a 50 or 60 for that matter and running high boost you have a lot more chances of getting boost creep than running to 38's. those 2 38's will allow you to run less boost on each wastegate and have the same consistant amount of boost.

expensive but bad *** setup.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people run two wastegate? (Fo-Do Fanatic)

that makes a lot of sense because all last night I was Im going call him an ask but I was naw I figure it out on my own. Yes theses guys with a sick cam T/A wanted him to spot them like 10 and the hit, that evo is sick as 3rd world child sick. But so far great answer!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not an answer it's the troof son!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fo-Do Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not an answer it's the troof son! </TD></TR></TABLE>
lol, I first read it I was what then ooh truth but with o's
Old 08-18-2007, 08:39 AM

I always thought twin wastegates were used in divided twin scroll setups so there's equal venting of gases on both sides. But then again I'm probably wrong.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Why do people run two wastegate? (omniscient)

QUOTE=omniscient]I always thought twin wastegates were used in divided twin scroll setups so there's equal venting of gases on both sides. But then again I'm probably wrong.[/QUOTE]
this is most likely the case. although with proper merging you can get away with running a single gate on a divided setup.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people run two wastegate? (GA-AutoFab)

a twin scrol setup is only the turbo. that just means the collector on the manifold itself is split just like the turbo is to match up.

for instance, if you have a gt32 family turbo, those are twin scroll so you have to use a manifold with a twin scroll collector.

dual gates has nothing to do with twin scroll. although most people that have dual gates have a twin scroll turbo dual gates just regulate boost better than one single gate with a huge amount of boost in it.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:38 PM
i ♥ snails

so dual gates are good for really large turbos that run low boost, because if you run low psi on a big flowing turbo, the wastegate is going to have alot of duty in tryin to vent all that excess exhaust gas, right? just tryin to make sure i understand
Old 08-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

dual gates are great. you wouldn't need them if you ran a gt30 or maybe 35 at 15 -20ish psi, but once you start getting into those hefty turbos like the 40's and 42s and want to run low and high boost you'll want the dual gates. they help control the boost a lot better at low and high boost.

the whole purpose of them is to get rid of boost creep

Old 08-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fo-Do Fanatic)

hmmm....so Im going need twin waste gates then for my setup
Old 08-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MagnaniEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MagnaniEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm....so Im going need twin waste gates then for my setup</TD></TR></TABLE>

do tell us your setup. or PM, maybe i can help you out
Old 08-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fo-Do Fanatic)

you will get a pm later tonight or tomorrow will full details and thanks in advance for he help
Old 08-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MagnaniEG6)

or you can run 1 hks gtII wastegate and probably not have a problem
Old 08-18-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fo-Do Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a twin scrol setup is only the turbo. that just means the collector on the manifold itself is split just like the turbo is to match up.

for instance, if you have a gt32 family turbo, those are twin scroll so you have to use a manifold with a twin scroll collector.

dual gates has nothing to do with twin scroll. although most people that have dual gates have a twin scroll turbo dual gates just regulate boost better than one single gate with a huge amount of boost in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

somewhat correct....dual gates are usually used in split scroll (aka divided) setups...the reason behind it is to keep the exhaust pulses of each separate from the other to maximize the pulse energy...when you take a divided setup and merge the sides together you are effectively making it an equal pressure manifold and no longer a true divided setup...the only way to use one gate w/ a divided setup would be to merge the two sides together and have it divided all the way up to the wg's actuator...ive seen one or two done properly...but most just opt for dual 38's or 44's for ballas

sometimes dual gates are used on a typical merge setup for better boost control...but nothing a 44mm or 60mm single gate shouldn't be able to handle
Old 08-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a dual gated setup is a great idea for holding boost...and also to get you out the whole stronger..if ur gonna run a huge turbo u dont want to leave the line at 35psi...and w/a single 44 good luck leaving at low boost...the dual wg can help you leave the line at almost any psi you desire..i know of some people leaving the whole at 6psi on a 42r and it holding strong as a rock
Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people run two wastegate? (92eg6)

i know you have to use the divided runner manifolds for the dual gate setup. 2 runners per gate.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dual WG's are for response at the line an better boost control.
you can also set-up the WG's to work together or in sequence 1 hi boost 1 low boost
Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fo-Do Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a twin scrol setup is only the turbo. that just means the collector on the manifold itself is split just like the turbo is to match up.

dual gates has nothing to do with twin scroll. although most people that have dual gates have a twin scroll turbo dual gates just regulate boost better than one single gate with a huge amount of boost in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true,A true twin-scroll (divided) setup does not just split at the collector, its split all the way through the runners. On a four cylinder you would have two runners merging on one side and two on the other. You would need two wastegates for this beacuse the pressure on one side(side with no wg) would never be released, which would cause boost creep and uneven exhaust pulsing into the turbine.

As you can see in this image, the manifold is divided well beyond the collectors flange.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people run two wastegate? (JoePSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoePSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not true,A true twin-scroll (divided) setup does not just split at the collector, its split all the way through the runners. On a four cylinder you would have two runners merging on one side and two on the other. You would need two wastegates for this beacuse the pressure on one side(side with no wg) would never be released, which would cause boost creep and uneven exhaust pulsing into the turbine.

As you can see in this image, the manifold is divided well beyond the collectors flange.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you did get me there. i knew there was always 2 runners per side of the divided collector. but i didn't know you HAVE to have dual gates to have that manifold. thanks for that knowledge gainer man.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fo-Do Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so you did get me there. i knew there was always 2 runners per side of the divided collector. but i didn't know you HAVE to have dual gates to have that manifold. thanks for that knowledge gainer man. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont have to have 2 gates...but you need to complete keep both sides of the pulses separate....aka split all the way up to the piston actautor of the wg....when the wg is closed you take advantage of the twin scroll...and soon as it opens pressure is equalized across the manifold and you have in essence a normal eq pressure manifold
Old 08-19-2007, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people run two wastegate? (drumking15)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you dont have to have 2 gates...but you need to complete keep both sides of the pulses separate....aka split all the way up to the piston actautor of the wg....when the wg is closed you take advantage of the twin scroll...and soon as it opens pressure is equalized across the manifold and you have in essence a normal eq pressure manifold </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for that to. dont the twin scroll setups give you a little bit faster spool?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fo-Do Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
for instance, if you have a gt32 family turbo, those are twin scroll so you have to use a manifold with a twin scroll collector. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not ALWAYS true, but the older ones were...

The twinscroll part you're thinking about is when you have a divided manifold to match. In that case, you have to have a dual gated manifold because the two sides of the manifold are seperated from each other and need boost controlled individually. A lot of times people get two gates rather than buying one bigger gate. It not only costs about the same, but looks badass. When you have a bigger turbo and want to run more boost, it becomes harder to control boost creep/level. Two gates add more control basically

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do people run two wastegate?