Notices

Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost?

I've been intrested in putting a turbo on my LS powered hatch and have been researching it a little lately. But what I'm hearing is that people are getting blown head gaskets quite often. Even when running very little boost. Why is that and what can be done to prevent it?
Old 12-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (allmotorEG-SI)

i've never blown a headgasket, and i usually reuse them 2-3 times
Old 12-08-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (allmotorEG-SI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotorEG-SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been intrested in putting a turbo on my LS powered hatch and have been researching it a little lately. But what I'm hearing is that people are getting blown head gaskets quite often. Even when running very little boost. Why is that and what can be done to prevent it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure block and head are both clean and totally flat, use copper spray, headstuds, and use right amount of torque.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (hybridb18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridb18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and i usually reuse them 2-3 times</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont do that, thats an easy way to blow one. hybridb18 is lucky
Old 12-08-2003, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (TeStUdO)

anything from a slightly warped head, a uneven block to just getting bad detonation could blow a head gasket. Even at low boost if your car isnt tuned right a poorly timed explosion could easily kill a gasket.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to know thanks.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridb18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've never blown a headgasket, and i usually reuse them 2-3 times</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I wish you could reuse them that would save me hella money
Old 12-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (30psi Teg)

Why is it, when you advance the timing, you're more likely to blow a headgasket? I've heard this and am not sure why. Is it the heat? Or more pressure?
Old 12-08-2003, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (TeStUdO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeStUdO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Make sure block and head are both clean and totally flat, use copper spray, headstuds, and use right amount of torque.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-08-2003, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (racinskittle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racinskittle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is it, when you advance the timing, you're more likely to blow a headgasket? I've heard this and am not sure why. Is it the heat? Or more pressure?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Far more pressure.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (raene)

yea, pressure and neat if you get detonation from too much boost or poor tuning

good tuning can help dictate how much boost you can run before detonation. and lowering your compression ratio

http://www.cardomain.com/id/boostlee
Old 12-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridb18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've never blown a headgasket, and i usually reuse them 2-3 times</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you know you can reuse them if you have never blown one?
Old 12-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How do you know you can reuse them if you have never blown one?</TD></TR></TABLE>
How do i know??? Because i have done it. as long as the gasket looks good, and isnt all tore up(the black coating on the gasket) then i just reuse it. No sense in spending 40-300 bucks for a gasket
Old 12-08-2003, 09:33 PM

when you run high boost on a high compression car, its very difficult to tuning properly. it can be done but you run the chance of detonation easier than lower compression ratio car running high boost.

just the combo of hi boost and hi compression ratio puts alot of stress on the headgasket.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:29 AM

Well good comments guys thanks I take the information very good topic

COUTO
Old 12-09-2003, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (Couto)

I think about it as the head lifting off the block under high pressures. Not a lot, but just enough to compromise the seal between the head and the block. This is aggravated by high temperatures causing warp on the surfaces. Remember also that every metal object has give and play in it no matter how rigid - the bolts holding your head to your block will be pushing the head down onto the block but as cylinder pressure rises they will stretch upwards and pressure will vent past the head gasket, blowing the gasket. ARP studs don't have as much "give" as a regular bolt and the nut on a stud doesn't have the more uneven twisting force that a bolt does, so they help with preventing blown head gaskets. Also, retarding the timing to reduce cylinder pressures should help.

I'm not a pro so correct me if I'm wrong I intend these things for points of discussion rather than standing as final answers.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Why do head gaskets blow out so often when under boost? (raene)

I have been running anywhere from 7-11 pounds and have never had a problem. I use a stock honda gasket. I ran 10 psi when I first switched to hondata and was untuned. I think if your block and head are flat you should be fine. I wouldn't reccomend reusing one but if it works, great.