Notices

whos got a turbo car with no catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whos got a turbo car with no catch can?

just wondering how many people are running a turbo car without a catch can? and how long they have been running it? what is the advantage to running a catch can?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: whos got a turbo car with no catch can? (B16Civic93)

Run a catch can. It keeps oil out of the intake and helps prevent detonation.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use to run mine with out a catch can for a long time. Until my car started to blow a lot of smoke out of the valve cover breather and get everything all oily. Then I got a catch can.

The advantages of running a catch can it to relieve some of the crank case pressure and also to "catch" all the blow by.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whos got a turbo car with no catch can? (beepy)

The reason it helps prevent detonation is because oil displaces O2.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whos got a turbo car with no catch can? (philipwight)

i have never heard of it helping detonation. I have just heard in higher HP setups it helps blowby.

I ran without one forever and never an issue. They i added one and dealt with the problems of the can smoking and overfilling under hi loads
Old 11-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whos got a turbo car with no catch can? (itr206)

they seem like they are a big deal to hook up though, are they that hard? and are they worth having?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use to run mine with out a catch can for a long time. Until my car started to blow a lot of smoke out of the valve cover breather and get everything all oily. Then I got a catch can. </TD></TR></TABLE>

did the car stop smoking and getting blowby after installing it?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never had smoking and blowby. I just put it on becuase i knew at the higher hp levels last thing i needed was blow by. But for lower HP IMHO its not needed and not worth the headache. They arent hard to install, just hard to get not to overflow and have probs.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whos got a turbo car with no catch can? (slow poke)

if you knew as much as you state you do, you would know your incorrect.

The drainbacks were correct on mine and many other users. It just spits up oil and fills the tank under high loads. Trsut me, im not the only one.

And i never had oily anything in my Intake becuase i never hooked anything to my intake. I just used a breather filter. Nothing to go into the intake stream then.

Also as more crank case pressure builds up IE more hp or more boost doesnt that creat more blowby?

Its not as cut and dry as you make it, trust me i know from experiece
Old 11-17-2004, 08:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well since oil lowers your octane ratting and you are putting that oily crap into your IM. Detonation is more prone to occur dew to your now lower octane ratting!
Its not rocket science

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know this is the internet and spelling doesn't count, but if you are going to talk about "rocket science" maybe you shouldn't spell 'rating' as 'ratting'...and especially 'due' as 'dew'. That's beyond a typo

Just playing...nothing personal.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have one.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I will be the first to admit that my spelling is not great but adding another t right after a T is just the slip of a finger. And I don’t really think your post mocking me is all that funny or helpful I am not a rocket scientist...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, but you are putting down (mocking) ITR206 for not understanding your theory by saying "its not rocket science"...but you are spelling due as dew.

You are right though, this adds nothing to the discussion at hand.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would you really want to drain that crap back into your motor? Everytime I drain my can I am like I can't believe people put this crap back into their motor.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">::EDIT:: for useful info Old post can be read below
No they are not that hard at all. It can become a pain if you cant get the plugs out thought.</TD></TR></TABLE> Many people, like 206 used to, just run a can off the valve cover breather and leave it at that. Others just modify the stock "black box" w/o a PCV valve and run like that. Do a search on here and you can find tons of info

Modified by slow poke at 10:41 AM 11/17/2004[/QUOTE]

What makes you think I had a can off the valve cover? I used a filter off the valve cover and the can off the block.

The drain back doesnt ness drain back junk. it drains back oil that was recycled.
When under load not only does the motor push out fumes, but under HIGH load it pushes some oil out too. The can releases the fumes from the filter if its open atmosphere, filters out any **** that might get caught in it and then filters back the used oil that shouldnt have come out.

Im not trying to start a fight, but making it SO Straight forward and making it Seem like its soo no Rocket Science is kinda weak if you know all of the diff scenarios everyone has and the issues and you in return have tried a few different things. I dont know what you have done or tried, but trust me from experience its not as straight as you think
Old 11-17-2004, 10:35 AM

i have one, i dont know much about it...anyone have info on the Endyn catch system?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:43 AM

This is actually a good topic...

ITR206, slowpoke, how do you reccomend doing it so that it relieaves the crank case pressure and doesn't spew oil out of the catchcan? I have seen first hand on cars w/ alot of power the catch can overflows and spews easily.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Re: whos got a turbo car with no catch can? (Bad-T)

another question...

i'm was thinking about running one inline of the oil separator and IM. Ive also heard that old school hot rodders used to weld a little tube to the exhaust manni or down pipe for vacume insead of sucking it back into the IM.

now i attempt to do this, does the little tube have to be back slashed like the valve cover tube, to draw vac??

any ideas or insite is appreciated
Old 11-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whos got a turbo car with no catch can? (evosol)

doing that could cause issues as well, i have heard of some of the racers having problems with the oil going throught the exhaust and catching fire.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:25 AM

hmmm... thats a good point.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know someone who tried that to oand was issues. I wouldnt do it on a Street car. For it to work right on a racecar, you will need to shut it down rather than really letting off the gas at the end of the run. Well as far as they explained to me why they ditched that set up.

I have heard the drainbacks are supposed to work better going to the pan, but i dunno . trust me ALOT of people are having this same overflow prob and they have tried everything , just get used to it and wrap a rag around it
Old 11-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just use a strait open 3/8 inch ID tube from the intake valve cover to the ground. Nothing is recirculated to my intake. Don't need to buy those expensive cath can. Oh well...
Old 11-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whos got a turbo car with no catch can? (coocoo32)

well like i said above. once you start pushing some real power it is a good idea to vent the block and relieve some extra crank case pressure. the more pressure built up= the more blow by= less power
Old 11-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What would you consider real power?how much(hp) (psi)
I'm goiog to be running turbo on my B20 at maybe 10-15psi do you think I will need one?
Old 11-17-2004, 04:13 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: whos got a turbo car with no catch can? (BOOSTEDwhiteEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BOOSTEDwhiteEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What would you consider real power?how much(hp) (psi)
I'm goiog to be running turbo on my B20 at maybe 10-15psi do you think I will need one?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes you do
Old 11-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

90% of the posts in this thread are nonsense.

Gap your rings properly and you shouldn't have a problem.

i've had my built motor for over 1 yr. daily driven car making 400+hp. i BEAT on this motor every chance i get. anyone that knows me can vouch for that.

the only time i had a little oil come out of my valve cover breather is when i was on the dyno. we took over 25 passes so it was expected.

a little blowby is necessary on a Turbo motor. that is why you Gap your rings slightly wider than an N/A set up.

EDIT: Btw, i don't have a catch can, just the oem pcv system.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (Killer_B)

Im not running a catch-can set-up either, everything has been fine thus far, havent even noticed smoke coming from the breather on my valvecover yet, but im not exactly making "Real Power."

Quick Reply: whos got a turbo car with no catch can?