Notices

Who tunes there own car with Hondata?

Old 08-22-2003, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who tunes there own car with Hondata?

I was wondering where did you guys learn how to tune your own car and is it harder then it looks(Hondata)? I don't have money to spend on the dyno every time, so i was thinking i might take a tuning semeniar class and tune my hondata myself! Good idea or no?
Old 08-22-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who tunes there own car with Hondata? (9psiTurboSI)

You don't need a class. The only real way to tune it yourself is with a wideband o2. You basically floor the car in 3rd or 4th gear from about 3k rpm all the way up to redline and you note rich and lean spots and adjust them accordingly. Timing is an educated guess. I set up my ignition tables first using what I know about timing retard and boost. I think the biggest mistake people make is pulling out to much timing. If you are boosting 10 psi you do NOT need to take out 10 degrees of timing at full boost. Im sure if I had a dyno that I could use all day long for free I could get some better numbers out of my car but i was happy with what it put down.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who tunes there own car with Hondata? (TurboInteg95)

I too was wondering how many people tune it themselves without a dyno as I was debating on keeping my wideband...
Sorry to jump off topic, but does the hondata rev limiter cut fuel like the stock limiter or is it by spark like msd? Thanks.

Nate
Old 08-25-2003, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Who tunes there own car with Hondata? (5thgencivic)

anybody else?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tune myself as well. Basically i do what turbointeg95 said. i start out w/ a basic hondata base map and create boost tables. from there it should be good enough to get the car started and running. then i make adjustments to the timing map and fuel map. i usually start out w/ .75 deg. retard/per psi and i put in enough fuel to make sure there is no chance of leaning out. then you just go out and start doing 3rd/4th gear pulls and add/subtract fuel where nessacary until u meet ur target a/f. i tune for (11.6-11.9:1). I learned from vaportrail the expression, "Aim small Miss small," don't try to make too large of adjustments at once. basically take ur time and don't do anything you aren't comfortable with. Its really pretty easy. as for timing advance to make power. that really depends on alot of factors and should be tuned on the dyno. .5-.7deg. retard/psi is a good place to start though.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:07 PM
New User

Default Re: Who tunes there own car with Hondata? (DIRep972)

Hey DIRep which WBO2 did you go with?
Old 08-25-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Who tunes there own car with Hondata? (5thgencivic)

Good info, any books/sites out there to help?
Old 08-25-2003, 04:15 PM
New User

Default Re: Who tunes there own car with Hondata? (k_)

http://www.hondata.com
Old 08-25-2003, 05:17 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: Who tunes there own car with Hondata? (laughinxxx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by laughinxxx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey DIRep which WBO2 did you go with?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I borrowed a friends tech edge v. 1.5. it worked great never had any problems w/ it but now i have to give it back so he can tune his car.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who tunes there own car with Hondata? (DIRep972)

I basically didn't have a choice. There were no tuners around me even close and I didn't have time to drive 8 hours to Payn. So, I basically had no choice but to learn it myself........and it was the best thing (although now there is a dyno right by me). I am getting pretty good at tuning it. It really is MUCH easier than you think. I learned ALL the basics from people on this board. They steered me in the right direction as far as what to do and what not to do, how much timing, etc.

Mad props go to Boosted Hybrid, Gruvytune, and Vaportrail for answering my questions on H-T Instant Messaging. Without them, I am sure to have thrown a rod through the block.

I highly recommend you do it yourself. That way, you can tune other peoples cars and make some extra cash. That is what I plan on doing here soon.

Good luck.

On a side note, when I get time here soon, I am going to come up with a small Hondata tuning guide with my own experiences and all the recommendations from the 3 listed above sometime soon.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who tunes there own car with Hondata? (ladysman)

I would highly recommend that if you are interested in tuning, go with the Hondata unit and learn from there. I started with DFI, then moved onto Haltech, then Hondata. Both DFI and Haltech taught me the basics of the speed density systems, both were in based in MS-DOS. The Windows based software of Hondata is 100x more helpful, user friendly than any of the other systems I have dealt with thus far. Having said that Hondata is limited to what it can do in terms of hardcore features that only systems like AEM EMS, Motec, etc can provide. Learn with the Hondata system, then move onto more complex systems. Hondata will give you the basis of speed density tuning, with the least amount of complications such as coolant temp correction maps/ambient air temperature correction maps/etc.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Who tunes there own car with Hondata? (boosted hybrid)

Thanks guys, I think im going to give it a shot
Old 08-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Think I will too