Notices

WHO SELLS CARTECH FMU's? should i go with a 10:1 or 12:1 for my set-up?

Old 07-30-2001, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHO SELLS CARTECH FMU's? should i go with a 10:1 or 12:1 for my set-up?

fellas, any advice is greatly appreciated.

i'm about to purchase a vortech or cartech fmu tomorrow. if i can't find a cartech distributor i'll go with the vortech.

anyhow, which disk should i run with my turbo set-up on my h22a. i was thinking 10:1 would be perfect. i'm running 96 prelude vtec (330cc according to rc engineering) injectors with a paxton high flow pump and paxton regulator. i'm planning to boost no more then 7psi.
i think the 10:1 would be the perfect fit. or should i even go for a 8:1?????

by the way, does anyone know who sells the vortech and cartech for the best price?
Old 07-30-2001, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHO SELLS CARTECH FMU's? should i go with a 10:1 or 12:1 for my set-up? (bgod)

you might need the 8:1 disk but I'd try the 10:1 first. Also I would steer clear of the cartech and stick with the vortech. The cartech left me on the side of the road calling my friend to bring me some tools so I could bypass the Cartech.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:41 PM

Default Re: WHO SELLS CARTECH FMU's? should i go with a 10:1 or 12:1 for my set-up? (TurboInteg95)

would the 8:1 cause me to run lean.
is anyone running an 8:1 or 10:1 out there?
Old 07-30-2001, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHO SELLS CARTECH FMU's? should i go with a 10:1 or 12:1 for my set-up? (bgod)

I belive G, from the board is running an 8:1 disk on his H22a, he's got a 97+ prelude.
Old 07-31-2001, 03:16 AM
Trial User

Default Re: WHO SELLS CARTECH FMU's? should i go with a 10:1 or 12:1 for my set-up? (TurboInteg95)

i ran a 8:1 with stock injectors and went lean in the low rpms...but still managed to go extremely rich in the high rpms. Your still going to need something to lean it out.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:57 AM
Trial User

You can get a cartech from Jim Helberg (JRCivic). He has good prices and advice. You can e-mail him @ wheelking@webtv.net.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a vortech super fmu.. its adjustable for any rise rate you want. Did those clowns really put a turbo in your car without an FMU?? laff.. and you were wondering why performance factory was so expensive compared to them??
Old 07-31-2001, 08:31 AM
ek
New User

Default Re: WHO SELLS CARTECH FMU's? should i go with a 10:1 or 12:1 for my set-up? (DocF)

I have an 8:1 in my 4th gen vtec... it seems to still run rich under boost... i also pulled the vacuum line from my stock fmu in order to lean it out a bit more under boost and richen it a little before boost... seemed to smooth the vacuum to boost transition a bit... but that could just be me trying making myself think that... now if only ben@importarts would hurry up with that hondata deal...
Old 07-31-2001, 08:56 AM

Default Re: WHO SELLS CARTECH FMU's? should i go with a 10:1 or 12:1 for my set-up? (ek)

docf, that super fmu just isn't worth it for the money. almost $300 for that sucker.

actually, the paxton regulator is identical to the sx regulator. rpm has plenty of b and d series turbos running my set-up with no problems. even got to test drive a b18c eg coupe with paxton regulator and holley pump. that thing just pulled like crazy with a totally stock ecu and just normal check valves.

i guess the whole h22a being hard to tune is for real though.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

H22 is not that hard to tune.. The big problem is with the F&H series ecus which are extremely sensitive to sensor readings outside of normal operating spec. Last summer I did a drag II kit in a 95 prelude for a buddy of mine and we got it running fairly well right out of the box. I am going to visit him late august and we are gonna throw in an rideal head gasket, bigger injectors, and a pms to see what we can make that sucker do with a stock bottom end.

I've said this before that b/d series turbo setups are nothing like f/h cars. There are just so many differences in the way those cars react to boost that being an expert in 1 doesnt necessarily make you an exper in the other. Your hesitation problems are a perfect example. When I first turbo'd my accord I had done a few other setups on civic and tegs and even after 100 hours of testing and tuning I still couldnt get my car running right. As a matter of fact I had the same EXACT problens you do.. give it gas.. hit boost and WHAM the car would bog down and feel like I was driving underwater. I knew for a fact that everything was installed right and I must've tried 100000 different check valve configs until I got the missing link and only then did my car start running right.

So dont get me wrong I am not trying to opress you or defile you in any way but I know how bad it sucks to have all the parts under the hood and still have the car run like crap. You came on this board asking for help so for the 3rd and final time I am offering it to you. You know where to find me so if you want me to take a look at your car drop me an email, I would be more than happy to take time from my extremely busy schedule to help you out.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:32 AM

Default Re: WHO SELLS CARTECH FMU's? should i go with a 10:1 or 12:1 for my set-up? (DocF)

docf i know the offer is on the table and i will take advantage of it soon. right now i've only had the turbo for 2 weeks and i'm still taking care of a few things. i'm picking up dirtyludes missing link next week, i have a new stock exhaust manifold gasket to put in becuase my old stock one isn't sealing and my fmu should be in by thursday. i'm going to install these parts first and see how it runs. then tune a bit, then i'll be coming your way.
have to get these things out of the way first.

and don't get me wrong, i appreciate your advise and opinions. i value everyones. but i'm just trying to get a feel for what everyone is doing with their h or f serie set-up in your case. everyone seems to ahve a different method so i'm still all soaking it in and trying to make wise purchases.