Notices

Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car?

Old 12-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car?

Almost finished installing my Mechanical Fuel pressure Oil Pressure and Water temp gauges there autometer pro comp and they are mounted on the dash.

Just wondering does anyone else run mechanical gauges inside there cars cabin.

We have done everything properly so there should be any problems, used an after market copper oil line kit tapered fittings and used steel braided teflon fuel line with proper fittings unless I heard wrong are built to with stand 3000psi (for military use}. Just like to hear peoples opinions who have done similar.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:47 PM
New User

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (turbozxi)

Good luck! I hope the copper line works for you. I have a mechanical gauge BUT it is not hooked up anymore, OIL ALL OVER in my A PILLAR!!! Line broke and everywhere it leaked. I am getting an electrical Oil and Fuel Pressure Gauge soon.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (Boostfed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good luck! I hope the copper line works for you. I have a mechanical gauge BUT it is not hooked up anymore, OIL ALL OVER in my A PILLAR!!! Line broke and everywhere it leaked. I am getting an electrical Oil and Fuel Pressure Gauge soon. </TD></TR></TABLE>

funny exact same thing happened to me. it got all up in the gauge face too.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (donkiman)

**** don't like these responses why did it break?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:54 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** don't like these responses why did it break? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I used the bullshit nylon hose that comes with the gauge!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I used the bullshit nylon hose that comes with the gauge!!! </TD></TR></TABLE> Ah that would some what explain it.. My mechanic uses them in dirt track cars that get real rough treatment he doesn't think it will be a problem with the proper copper lines.

Cheers
Old 12-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy is using a mech. oil and water temp gauge. They seem to be working just fine. Make sure that the line isnt kinked and that the brass ferring (sp) is crushed around the tube like its supposed to be and it should work out great. I wish sometimes that I would of gotten a mech. oil pressure gauge due to the fact that its full sweep and my electric one is only short sweep. Kinda bugs me, but hey what can you do?

Good Luck

Blaze
Old 12-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (Blaze45)

i used -3 an lines/fittings, to hook up my guages.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i used -3 an lines/fittings, to hook up my guages.</TD></TR></TABLE> Why they reccomend -4 ?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use some ss lines and you won't have those problems, i've been running mines for a while now, no problems yet
Old 12-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Why they reccomend -4 ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

not sure?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a mechanical oil press in my dash for over a year now... and it works great
no leaks or anything
i used a copper line
Old 12-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not sure? </TD></TR></TABLE> I meant why did you use - 3 when they reccomend - 4.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Almost finished installing my Mechanical Fuel pressure Oil Pressure and Water temp gauges there autometer pro comp and they are mounted on the dash.

Just wondering does anyone else run mechanical gauges inside there cars cabin.

We have done everything properly so there should be any problems, used an after market copper oil line kit tapered fittings and used steel braided teflon fuel line with proper fittings unless I heard wrong are built to with stand 3000psi (for military use}. Just like to hear peoples opinions who have done similar. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got three mechanical gauges (Fuel Press, Oil Press, Oil Temp) and they're all installed in the engine bay for use when dyno tuning. All electrical (x9) inside the car. They cost more but they're worth it. Mechanical may never brake but its not a chance I would want to take. Get the electrical gear. It costs more but its more accurate and won't leak fluids all over the inside the car if it fails.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (Islandspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Islandspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've got three mechanical gauges (Fuel Press, Oil Press, Oil Temp) and they're all installed in the engine bay for use when dyno tuning. All electrical (x9) inside the car. They cost more but they're worth it. Mechanical may never brake but its not a chance I would want to take. Get the electrical gear. It costs more but its more accurate and won't leak fluids all over the inside the car if it fails. </TD></TR></TABLE> I have the mechanical guages in now. Electrical gear is not the best, mechanical is by far superior. I am wanting to hear from those who run them installed properly... Thanks BTW for those who have replied.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:25 PM

NHRA tracks have a **** FIT over mechanical fuel gauges without an isolater in the cockpit.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i used -3 an lines/fittings, to hook up my guages.</TD></TR></TABLE>

me 2
Old 12-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NHRA tracks have a **** FIT over mechanical fuel gauges without an isolater in the cockpit.</TD></TR></TABLE> Yeah I thought they might, I just hope the certifier I get doesn't look to carefully.. Anyone else
Old 12-11-2004, 01:39 PM

I use mechanical oil but I also use a copper line with zero problems. I would never use the nylon line they give you for anything other than a boost gauge.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (omahaturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omahaturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use mechanical oil but I also use a copper line with zero problems. I would never use the nylon line they give you for anything other than a boost gauge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldn't agree more!

I used the pos nylon line for my oil gauge and there was oil all over the place after a while. Switched to copper line and it was all good.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (Chrome Pipes)

i bought my mechanical gauge at autozone (yeah i know...) where can i get teh copper line? it seemed to me my only option is that cheap plastic crap and i really want to buy some copper - got any links?

Old 12-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (86hatchfire)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 86hatchfire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bought my mechanical gauge at autozone (yeah i know...) where can i get teh copper line? it seemed to me my only option is that cheap plastic crap and i really want to buy some copper - got any links?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/nc...r=361
Here's Jegs..

Summit racing has that stuff too. If you don't want to mail order, check out any local speed shops in your area. Chances are if they carry Autometer gauges they can get you the copper lines.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

after reading all of this ****, i think im gonna buy some copper lines from summit before i install my turbo
Old 12-11-2004, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car? (raiden571)

so the problem i'm affraid of is the kinking of the plastic lines, does the copper not kink, is it easy to bend? thanks
Old 12-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why don't you just get a ss line?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who runs a Mechanical fuel/oil pressure gauges in car?