Notices

Who is running a y7 intake mani?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is running a y7 intake mani?

Who is running a boosted d16y7 with the stock y7 intake manifold and how did you get around the 3 wire IACV problem?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Who is running a y7 intake mani?

i have a d16y7 that i plan to boost.

since its my dd...i dont wanna be messing around with too much stuff..so i do plan to keep my y7 mani also.

suscribed for more info!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 01-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 01-14-2009, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why u think people swap the Y7 IM to a Y8 or a ZC or Z6? Y7 IM is NO GOOD~!!!
soo, my friend, u think is better to run Boost on a Y7 manifold?
the Y7 manifold is designed to safe gas. I own a CX Y7 i swap the IM for a Y8, and trust me u feel the difference. search for more info if u r not sure or if u still have any questions.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No people swap because it is a pain in the *** to convert to OBD I and still have a working 3 wire IACV. AKA it is impossible to do so. Either you have to disable the IACV and tune without it, or switch to a 2 wire.

I tried to switch over to a 2 wire IACV without swapping intake manifolds. First you need to remove the 3 wire IACV from the throttle body and make some kind of block off plate. This is just a flat piece of steel with four holes drilled in it so you can bolt it down where the 3 wire IACV went.
Then you need to make a remote mount for the 2 wire IACV. Again this can be just a flat piece of steel with two large holes in it to go over the inlet/outlet of the 2 wire IACV. One hole needs to be vented to the atmosphere to breathe, and the other needs to have a fitting on it and you need to run a vacuum hose from that to the intake manifold. The hose needs to be very large in diameter, about 5/8" an you need an equally large fitting on the intake manifold.
I tried this by tapping into the brake booster, but the way it was set up, I would almost lose my brakes because the IACV didn't allow enough vacuum to be pulled from the brake booster.
So then I T'ed into a smaller vacuum line, and the car wouldn't idle correctly. It wasn't letting enough air bleed into the intake manifold through a smaller sized vacuum line.
That is where I gave up and found someone selling a MINT y8 head with intake manifold and throttle body for $100.
Your best bet is to just get a MANUAL y8 intake manifold, WITHOUT the air injection holes. That can cause headaches too. The automatic y8 intake manifolds have a 3 wire IACV and that will put you right back at square 1.

Only other way I see making the 2 wire work is somehow finding a flat spot on the y7 intake manifold and then drilling the corresponding holes to make the IACV mount directly on the manifold.

Good luck, hope this helps a bit.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Am I reading this right? You aren't reusing the stock y7 IACV ports?

You can get two 1/4" chunks of aluminum for all of $10 (ebay "cutoffs"), a cheap NPT tap for $5, and drill bit for $3. First you make a blockoff plate for the y7 TB where the IACV went, then a blockoff for the 2-wire IACV. Tap holes for fittings where the stock ports are on both, connect via large vac hose, and you're set. If you're like me, it would cost nothing since you own all the tools/material.

The IACV is half the cost, and ANY 2-wire can be used since bolt pattern is irrelavant now. I do agree the y7 manifold sucks ***, but so does the y7 head/cam. The y8 mani helps the y7 like a full exhaust does a dpfi D15...
Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or that's another option. I just used thin steel when trying to do it, so I didn't have room to tap the block off plate on the TB.
I'm not using that setup now, I'm just using a stock y8 intake manifold.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

stick a pice of gasket material between the intake mani and the iacv...donezo
Old 01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m R g S r
No people swap because it is a pain in the *** to convert to OBD I and still have a working 3 wire IACV. AKA it is impossible to do so. Either you have to disable the IACV and tune without it, or switch to a 2 wire.

I tried to switch over to a 2 wire IACV without swapping intake manifolds. First you need to remove the 3 wire IACV from the throttle body and make some kind of block off plate. This is just a flat piece of steel with four holes drilled in it so you can bolt it down where the 3 wire IACV went.
Then you need to make a remote mount for the 2 wire IACV. Again this can be just a flat piece of steel with two large holes in it to go over the inlet/outlet of the 2 wire IACV. One hole needs to be vented to the atmosphere to breathe, and the other needs to have a fitting on it and you need to run a vacuum hose from that to the intake manifold. The hose needs to be very large in diameter, about 5/8" an you need an equally large fitting on the intake manifold.
I tried this by tapping into the brake booster, but the way it was set up, I would almost lose my brakes because the IACV didn't allow enough vacuum to be pulled from the brake booster.
So then I T'ed into a smaller vacuum line, and the car wouldn't idle correctly. It wasn't letting enough air bleed into the intake manifold through a smaller sized vacuum line.
That is where I gave up and found someone selling a MINT y8 head with intake manifold and throttle body for $100.
Your best bet is to just get a MANUAL y8 intake manifold, WITHOUT the air injection holes. That can cause headaches too. The automatic y8 intake manifolds have a 3 wire IACV and that will put you right back at square 1.

Only other way I see making the 2 wire work is somehow finding a flat spot on the y7 intake manifold and then drilling the corresponding holes to make the IACV mount directly on the manifold.

Good luck, hope this helps a bit.
why u try to swap from 3 to 2 wire iacv? you just need to swap the IM and put back the TB of the Y7 or look for a Y8 auto TB and call the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
honestly i think is very easy!!! my .O2
Old 01-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ace_Ek
why u try to swap from 3 to 2 wire iacv? you just need to swap the IM and put back the TB of the Y7 or look for a Y8 auto TB and call the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
honestly i think is very easy!!! my .O2

OBD1 only works with 2 wire...
Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zach1288
OBD1 only works with 2 wire...
use the JUMPER!!! my friend
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use the JUMPER!!! my friend

What?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even with the jumper you still have to repin the same wires...stop spreading false information. the iacv ports on the y7 tb do not match a y8 manifold and the 3 wire auto iacv does not work with a manual ecu
Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedooo
even with the jumper you still have to repin the same wires...stop spreading false information. the iacv ports on the y7 tb do not match a y8 manifold and the 3 wire auto iacv does not work with a manual ecu
ok lets make somethiNg clear here!. u can use a Y8 IM and install the Y7 TB or just find a Y8 auto TB that have the 3 cables iacv, u dont need to miss with ur ECU, im runing a Y8 IM with a Auto TB and i dont touch my ECU.

Know,, if u want to go with the OBD1 jumper YES u still need to re-pin the ecu. and its easy!!! Use the tools in this Forum Search for 3 wire iacv to 2 wire iacv.

AND THAT MY FRIEND IS NOT FLASE INFO!!!! IF U WANT I WILL POST MY PICS.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i guess your car is unique among all 96-00 honda civic dx/lx/cx's and you didnt have to repin a couple wires to use a 2 wire iacv. congrats.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i guess your car is unique among all 96-00 honda civic dx/lx/cx's and you didnt have to repin a couple wires to use a 2 wire iacv. congrats.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

:p
Old 01-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Who is running a y7 intake mani?

OMG!!!!!!!!!! no i guess you r a unique honda owner that doesnt know how to work with a simple set up , AGAIN. im not using a 2 wire iacv, if u own a Y7 3 wire and u want to swap the IM to Y8 IM or a SI/EX/ZC IM , just swap the TB and tap the hose from the IACV that came in the IM, or find a Y8 auto TB that has 3 wire u dont need to repin ur ecu, unless u want to use the TB that came with the IM, with the Jumper OBD2 to OBD1 u still to repin the ecu cause OBD1 use a 2 wire IACV.

get a auto 3 wire IACV(located on the TB) EK manifold and just reuse your Y7 TB then its a plug and play basically (civic 1996 - 1998

Take a auto y8 intake manifold.
Keep your y7 throttle body with the 3-wire IACV on the bottom of it. Remove the throttle rotor gear on your TB and remount it 180* so your throttle cable will mount correctly. You can find larger throttle bodies with the 3-wire IACV from a RSX. But unless you have other modifications to your engine that would cause you to need more air the y7 TB will work fine. Same size as the y8 TB. Other than that it is a fairly straightforward install.

NEED MORE INFO SEARCH GOOGLE 3 WIRE IACV

OR JUST CLICK IN THIS LINKS
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20349
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33252
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...ht=3+wire+iacv

My Hatch still Unique!!!!!!!!

dont give away opinios if ur not have any experience!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have plenty experience with doing things the right way
Old 01-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OMG!!!!!!!!!! no i guess you r a unique honda owner that doesnt know how to work with a simple set up , AGAIN. im not using a 2 wire iacv, if u own a Y7 3 wire and u want to swap the IM to Y8 IM or a SI/EX/ZC IM , just swap the TB and tap the hose from the IACV that came in the IM, or find a Y8 auto TB that has 3 wire u dont need to repin ur ecu, unless u want to use the TB that came with the IM, with the Jumper OBD2 to OBD1 u still to repin the ecu cause OBD1 use a 2 wire IACV.

get a auto 3 wire IACV(located on the TB) EK manifold and just reuse your Y7 TB then its a plug and play basically (civic 1996 - 1998

Take a auto y8 intake manifold.
Keep your y7 throttle body with the 3-wire IACV on the bottom of it. Remove the throttle rotor gear on your TB and remount it 180* so your throttle cable will mount correctly. You can find larger throttle bodies with the 3-wire IACV from a RSX. But unless you have other modifications to your engine that would cause you to need more air the y7 TB will work fine. Same size as the y8 TB. Other than that it is a fairly straightforward install.

NEED MORE INFO SEARCH GOOGLE 3 WIRE IACV

OR JUST CLICK IN THIS LINKS
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20349
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33252
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...ht=3+wire+iacv

My Hatch still Unique!!!!!!!!

dont give away opinios if ur not have any experience!!!

You are still talking about naturally aspirated OBD2 cars. I don't care.

You are not helping me with my question.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right way:

move the wires around

wrong way, simple and effective:

loosen iacv bolts, slip a piece of gasket material between the iacv and the intake manifold, open idle screw up all the way to let the motor breathe
Old 01-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wrong way, simple and effective:

loosen iacv bolts, slip a piece of gasket material between the iacv and the intake manifold, open idle screw up all the way to let the motor breathe
Do you have experience doing it this way? If you opened the idle screw up the whole way wouldn't it idle very high?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i did it on two of my cars. i have the screw opened all the way with the iacv blocked off and it idles at about 900+/-150 depending on the weather/temp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who is running a y7 intake mani?