Notices

who here tuned their own car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who here tuned their own car?

Can you guys tell me what EMS you guys used and what were your mods and results? And if you guys could also tell me what mistakes you made when you guys started tunning. Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 08:14 PM

Default Re: who here tuned their own car? (SuperSi)

http://www.pgmfi.org

Best place to start.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Re: who here tuned their own car? (dc2legend)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2legend &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.pgmfi.org

Best place to start. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude I read that whole site and Im asking for honda-techs results.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dude I read that whole site and Im asking for honda-techs results. </TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, sorry dude. ******* search.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

built & tuned from the ground up....all me & prelittlelude's work...

w/ some help from the great guys at pgmfi.org and lots and lots of reading everything i can get my hands on ive gotten my car up and running....

ls/vtec
9:1
built bottom end not sleeved!
running 15psi on a hx35

thing rips great all tuned on CROME!!!

also prelittlelude got his whip up and running a G-series motor w/ a lil help from the AEM guys on his EMS

in a few weeks ill have some #'s to match my hard work...ooo i cant wait
Old 05-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drumking15)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thing rips great all tuned on CROME!!!</TD></TR></TABLE> same here
Old 05-16-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (ryan89crx)

me and SOCHD16Y8 both tuned our cars on uberdata with no problems so far. both run great and pull hard.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've read that site too and I also read the old uberdata site and countless of other posts on this site for the past 3 or so years when affordable engine became available but until you actually get your hands dirty and do it your self all that reading dosen't mean crap!!!

I recently chipped a p28 for my friends h22a swap in his 94 honda accord and put a basemap using a lsvtec base using crome. We went to a local dyno (fynetune) and i began tuning.

First pass dyno wasn't picking up right, so the second was put down,...145whp and 107ft lbs of torque.....WTF. A/F were in the high 17's throughout the curve.

I richend up the top end and moved vtec down a bit 170 whp and 140ft lbs of torque. but the line stayed at 100 whp until vtec hit then it gained like 50whp lol. It was still lean before vtec.

I then richend up the map before vtec and gained about 25-30 hp in the midrange.

We ended up with 168whp and 139 ftlbs and 14-13 afrs throughout. I didn't play with timing much i'm still learning, but he's getting a skunk2 mani and were going back to retune with that.

His mods are a ebay cai, dc header and custom catback but i think its crushed.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 AM

Default Re: who here tuned their own car? (willyboyK20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by willyboyK20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I recently chipped a p28 for my friends h22a swap in his 94 honda accord and put a basemap using a lsvtec base using crome. We went to a local dyno (fynetune) and i began tuning.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
um do you have any idea what your doing? i would have at leats started off a p13 bin so at least the timing values were close...good luck keeping that thing running
Old 05-17-2006, 05:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">built & tuned from the ground up....all me & prelittlelude's work...

w/ some help from the great guys at pgmfi.org and lots and lots of reading everything i can get my hands on ive gotten my car up and running....

ls/vtec
9:1
built bottom end not sleeved!
running 15psi on a hx35

thing rips great all tuned on CROME!!!

also prelittlelude got his whip up and running a G-series motor w/ a lil help from the AEM guys on his EMS

in a few weeks ill have some #'s to match my hard work...ooo i cant wait</TD></TR></TABLE>

you wouldn't happen to be talking about the g25a motor found in the vigor, would you?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (j-spec_cc2)

I did tuned a few setup for mild boost, street app's

only one one uberdata up to date,

other one where on SDS and AEM EMS, I run an AEM EMS on my own car tuned by me for the time being but I plan on having a tune for the race fuel done by a profesionnal trained AEM EMS tuner.

as long as you got a wideband,
it's good but time consuming.

hope this help
jp
Old 05-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like they said read up on pgmfi.org
Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j-spec_cc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you wouldn't happen to be talking about the g25a motor found in the vigor, would you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no im talking about the F/H series hybrids....f22 sohc block w/ a h22 head...more commonly refered to by the prelude crowd as G series
Old 05-17-2006, 08:54 AM

IMO, tuning is the most important part of good setup and paying a professional is worth every penny, especially on an FI setup. I've seen people blow up motor after motor or make substantially less power on nice setups than they should because they were cheap and wanted to tune it themselves rather than spend the money. That's just my opinion, though.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no im talking about the F/H series hybrids....f22 sohc block w/ a h22 head...more commonly refered to by the prelude crowd as G series</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh, u got my hopes up for a second....

but u do know that there are 2 real G series engines right???

G25Ax
G20Ax
Old 05-17-2006, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tthame1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tthame1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO, tuning is the most important part of good setup and paying a professional is worth every penny, especially on an FI setup. I've seen people blow up motor after motor or make substantially less power on nice setups than they should because they were cheap and wanted to tune it themselves rather than spend the money. That's just my opinion, though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
if nobody ever took the time to learn how to tune their car themselves then where would all the tuners be?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if nobody ever took the time to learn how to tune their car themselves then where would all the tuners be? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right, but most people don't take the time to learn how to do it properly or they learn just enough to blow their stuff up.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:22 AM

how do you tune timing on the street? Is there even a way?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to agree. If you are only going to tune one car (yours) its often even cheaper to have aprofessional do it and do it right the first time. Add up the cost of a wideband, a chip burner, and dyno time and then compare that to what most tuners charge. If you are inexperienced its quite easy to eat up a couple hours on the dyno with no progress or blow up your setup. While a professional tune can seem expensive at first in most cases its actually the cheaper route.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from tuning themselves just being realistic about it. There are so many good and reasonably priced honda tuners I don't know why so many people insist on doing it themselves. Unless you already have all the equipment needed or want to be able to say you did everything yourself save yourself the headache and most likely some money and get a pro to do it. The tune is what makes or breaks most FI projects.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Re: (vw1320)

What's the fun in that though? I mean you may as well have someone build your car. I'd rather use it as a learning experience.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tthame1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've seen people blow up motor after motor or make substantially less power on nice setups than they should because they were cheap and wanted to tune it themselves rather than spend the money.</TD></TR></TABLE>
But then you've got the opposite side of the spectrum like myself, who payed a tuner a shitload of money and ended up with a blown motor (and lost all that money). There are two sides to every coin.

I intend to tune my new setup on my own.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Mr. Badwrench

hondata s200b
i built the engine i basically did everything but the cage and the machine work on the engine. i installed it, and had a hand in tuning it. 27 psi, 18* timming, more tomorrow night, 520 whp 313 tq. 84mm b16 stock crank, gsr cams.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who here tuned their own car? (boostedcivicsir)

Most of the basic systems arent all the hard to tune If you just read up alot and look through all the software and make sure u understand it. Once you step up to a real ems then its a whole diffrent ball game, alot of the real ems's have a ton of options and features which makes it quite intimidating. Also there is no way to tune ignition timing on the street this is best done on a dyno with a loading feature.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tthame1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're right, but most people don't take the time to learn how to do it properly or they learn just enough to blow their stuff up. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea thats true. Lots of research is key.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j-spec_cc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh, u got my hopes up for a second....

but u do know that there are 2 real G series engines right???

G25Ax
G20Ax</TD></TR></TABLE>

um yea.... i think the reasoning behind calling it a g series....was the aplhabet.....G is between F & H.....hence a little bit of both makes a g series....and it wasnt to confuse anyone...just not many people run vigor's

and to comment on what some others have said...so what if i dont make XXX of hp because my ignition timing isnt 100% effiecent...ill run 1 more psi and itll make up that slight difference....and you can tune pretty decently w/o a dyno on the street just by checking out the plugs and using a det can....its hard but can be done...and because id had everything to do it myself...aka wideband, burner, laptop etc....anytime my car was a lil finicy i could go fix it....

but most of all the best part of talkin to anyone about my setup is being able to say....i did everything myself...well aside from the mani...but building the motor, piecing together my setup, and then making it all work together and tuning it....that alone gets you a lot of credit.....

but hopefully in a few weeks ill be visiting bailhatch and ill compare my org tune...to one after adjusting some timing....well see i just need to get her up and running again

Quick Reply: who here tuned their own car?