Notices

Who here has done the TurboPanda Piston/Rod combo for the D16? Also have info.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here has done the TurboPanda Piston/Rod combo for the D16? Also have info.....

It appears this setup has a hell of a lot of potential, and could bring our cars easily into the 12's. (turbopanda quoted a trap of 182km/hr which is about 113mph). Which is nuts.

They did some dyno testing I know (in the US), but they had problems with the charge piping blowing off. They made 220 whp @ 10-12 psi BEFORE 5000RPMS!! They said that's when the charge pipe kept blowing off.

TUrbopanda said he runs the D16 to run 1.2bar ~17-18psi on 95 octane (at the track). &20-22psi on race gas and a good tune.

It's B16A rods and Supra forged pistons. all for 520 for used pistons and 650 for new ones.

DOES ANYONE HAVE MORE INFO ON THIS? If not, im going to go at this little project soon and post up all of the details.

LMK! Thanks!

I DID SEARCH and many of the topics were outdated, so instead of bringing them back to life, I figured i'd start my own and see if there are any new updates to this.

Also, the block has to be notched to fit the B16A rods.

Just wanted to provide some more info on this subject as well

WE NEED MORE RISK TAKERS HERE Ill be doing it BTW. Sooner than thought too.

Modified by racinskittle at 10:13 PM 3/2/2004

Modified by racinskittle at 10:14 PM 3/2/2004
Old 03-01-2004, 10:33 PM

i heard about it, but im optimistic (sp) about it. seems like its a good deal, but in truth y not just go all out and spend a few more bills to get the right stuff? am i right? it isnt like ur building the motor just untill you can save up to build a new1.

like they say, "if your going to do it right, do it the 1st time around"
Old 03-02-2004, 12:45 AM

Default Re: (bluep3)

Eagle rods are only $300 so just pick out some nice aftermarket pistons and your set...
Old 03-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

CP pistons and eagle rods are about 800 for a Z6. How much would the machine work be to fit the other setup? more than the CP/eagle setup?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

yeah a piston/rod set would cost 800-900 + shipping.

Nathan's (turbopanda) is 520 SHIPPED. And you can boost ~18psi on 95-100 octane.

What kinda numbers can you get out of Eagle rods and CP pistons?
I guess that's my question.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here has done the TurboPanda Piston/Rod combo for the D16? Also have info..... (racinskittle

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racinskittle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's B16A pistons and Supra forged rods. all for 520 for used pistons and 650 for new ones.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it's the other way around.

Supra Forged pistons/B16a rods.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here has done the TurboPanda Piston/Rod combo for the D16? Also have info..... (racinskittle

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98CTRCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think it's the other way around.

Supra Forged pistons/B16a rods.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is lol. oops. I didn't even see that.

I even had it right, at the end where i mentioned the block had to be notched to fit the B16A rods. I just mixed it up in the first part.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember looking into that setup a while back. If I remember correctly, it results in a pretty low compression ratio - great for telling people how much boost you can run, but not always the best/fastest setup. I love the spirit of this idea - it's great to see creativity like that, but I'm not sure it's really a great deal. Using the B16 rods is pretty straightforward machining, so I think you could duplicate the effect by just ordering a set of pistons with the D16 bore and the B16 wrist pin diameter, and get the pin height where you wanted it for the CR you're looking for.

-Chris
Old 03-02-2004, 04:43 PM

i thought that the compression was in the neighborhood of 9.5:1 for a sohc d16 and it was only really low on a zc. but my memory could fail me, it has done it in the past.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:22 PM

i think he got 8.5 to 1 because he had a thick head gaasket
bump!!!
i want to buy this combo!!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the good part is. you get 6 forged pistons w/ rings and B16A rods for 520. not bad.

The problem is the block notching that's required. Is this hard? Does it have to be done by a machine shop?

Basically im looking for a great way to spend an extra 1G on my motor. and right now w/a chipped ECU, and a wideband this is gonna be a good bet.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:13 AM

anyone heard from turbopanda?
Old 03-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EMod Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If I remember correctly, it results in a pretty low compression ratio - great for telling people how much boost you can run, but not always the best/fastest setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha so true. There is a kid around here like that. 8.2:1 or something..."22psi YO!" If he wasn't running a t3 it would be a dog around town. it's an LS/Vtec

So could these supra pistons go on Eagle rods?

I bet the block clearancing is tit to do. Just make sure it clears by a few mm and your done, I ASSume.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EMod Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If I remember correctly, it results in a pretty low compression ratio - great for telling people how much boost you can run, but not always the best/fastest setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it's like 7 something to 1 cr.

I was wondering If I could use some pistons from a 7MGE (non turbo). Anyone know if they are the same bore and height as the 7MGTE's?
I'm thinking the cr would be higher so you can't boost as high, but it'd more efficient. I have access to 2 motors (thats 3 sets of pistons!) right now. However, if I want them, I need to act quick because they yards gonna scrap them in a few weeks.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idk if they're the same. Would they still be forged?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:46 PM
New User

I was around when Nathan originally was running that setup. If I recall correctly the CR was in the low 8:1's, and 8.2:1 sounds spot on if I remember right. To me that is an awfully LOW CR to run with such a small engine unless you also want to run a small, quick spooling turbo to compensate. The other problem with that is the small turbo will have a rough time pushing the higher boost (~20psi) which you will need to make great numbers on that setup. For example, if you were to use a t3/t4 turbo with that combo on a D16 you better be ready for one hell of a steep and narrow powerband. Maybe if you upgraded the valvetrain with Ferrea parts you could rev higher in order to stretch the powerband a bit, but all in all I think it would be best for most D16 people to stick with a CR of 9.0:1 or higher when turbocharging or using any form of FI for that matter.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I see what your saying. BUt they did make 220 b4 5000 RPM so that's not too bad.

A thinner headgasket would help too. Idk what to think. All i know is i want to put my money where my mouth is. I just need to know if it's ok if i notch the block myself. I really dont want to go to a machine shop
Old 03-04-2004, 04:17 AM
New User

Do you have a die grinder? I am not sure what kind of tools you have, but it is not a super easy thing to do right as far as I have seen. There is an article about it on T.O.O website. Ahh here it is: http://www.theoldone.com/artic...tips/
Old 03-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet! Thanks! Ill take a look at that.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:03 AM
New User

Sure thing man. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was actually one of the first people who bought that combo from him about 1 1/2 years ago. You get 6 pistons with brand new rings (pistons will be 2nd hand of course) and 4 rods.

I never got to complete the project due to some sudden hate for anything that has 4 wheels but Im good now. The package is just a budget low compression set up which is cool but the parts are still breakable and much weaker than aftermarket forged parts of course. The block notching is fairly simple and you can do it yourself with a grinder. He e-mailed me a bunch of pictures during that time on the block notching and I believe he also posted them here but its been so long.

HTH a bit !
Old 03-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SWEET! I think im gonna jump on this.

I know T-sohctec (i think that's his name) Started to project too, but put the rings in upside down...so he had a few problems with that.

He said that he should have it ready to go sometime soon I believe.

EDIT I FOUND HE POST!! He made 250WHP on it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-sohctec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, am I the only one that used this setup????

I ran these in my D and tuned it to 250WHP. Unfortunately I had to take them out because when I installed the pistons I didn't install the oil control rings properly. The oil control ring cracked and then scarred my cylinder walls. But I assure anyone who is interested in this setup that the cause of failure was directly my fault, not the components.

When I ordered the setup I ordered 6 pistons so I am going to put them into another Z6 bottom end. My goal is 300+WHP daily, on nathans combo.
Nathan is a good guy and you can definately trust him to deal with. I think that the reason you don't see him online is cuz he got an EVO and moved out of the honda scene.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OH! BTW, What's the story on LS rods...do those work too?
Old 03-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still around

Might start producing these packages again - if there's enough interest, that is..

also, the clutch that I used on my own car with this package is for sale - link can be found in my signature below
Old 03-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems pretty pricey to me. LS rods can be had for $40 or so if you look around. How much can these pistons possibly cost?
Old 03-20-2005, 02:34 PM

Going for 300 on the D eh?Man i can't wait to see that thing in action at the hwy

Quick Reply: Who here has done the TurboPanda Piston/Rod combo for the D16? Also have info.....