Notices

Who here haily drives a 4 puck clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:55 AM
my house has wheels on it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here haily drives a 4 puck clutch?

Hey guys, I am trying to find a good clutch for my daily driver. It is the only part i have left to get so i can put the engine in the beast.

My boss offered me a great deal but i am kinda leary to drive it daily.

The Deal: he will take my used ACT street strip kit and $100 for his NEW Clutchmasters FX500 four puck clutch

I called CM about it and they said it has a 1700LB clamp force

ACT said the one i have will give up at about 240 ft-lb at the crank

What should i do, also what clutch do you recommend?

This is going on my 2.0L LS/VTEC turbo in a 98 Ek hatch

the car will be daily driven

the engine has never started so i don't know what kind of power it is going to make. just guessing though i am gonna say close to 400whp
discuss

Modified by BrokeAssWhiteboy at 10:38 AM 1/4/2006
Old 01-04-2006, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Who here haily drives a 4 puck clutch? (BrokeAssWhiteboy)

hell yea i would do that. is ur current (act) clutch bran new or used?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here haily drives a 4 puck clutch? (whoneedzvtec)

i'd go for it! yea puck clutches are a bitch, but you get used to it. and with that pressure plate, atleast you'll get a beefy left leg. you will have some chatter to deal with, but as i said you will get used to it.
ps - its really funny to let some one else try and drive your car!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here haily drives a 4 puck clutch? (BrokeAssWhiteboy)

You should be pumping out more than 240 ft/lbs with your average setup. A stronger clutch is part of the price you pay, and if you pick the right one it isn't going to be a bear to drive.

Pedal effort is going to be noticeably stiffer than stock, but if you've got a little fat on your hatch it'll help smooth things and make it easier to drive. Had Trav-***' Pigtegra out yesterday, clutch pedal feels like bending a bar of lead, but it's smooth and easily controllable due to vehicle weight. 1700lb pressure plate isn't anything, try the 3000lb Action in my gutted CRX sometime for a lesson in twitchy.

I've driven two Clutchnet stage 3's in the last week, no chatter, have a Clutchnet stage 3 for the SOHC that I expect to make chatter by the way I drive. The Action unit in the CRX does not chatter, but it has 1000 miles of someone else's driving on it... I expect to destroy it with mine. The ACT 4 puck I had didn't chatter until it was digging rivets into the flywheel... and I killed that one in 2000 miles. If you are at all reasonable with your expectations and how you drive there is no reason why your clutch has to chatter. Some people buy $$$ clutches thinking they are supposed to be indestructable... no... no... it's a friction lining that is mean to wear away, in a much higher than stock power application, that can be overheated from misuse, and all around prone to fail. If you understand that your clutch is a consumable unit, understand it lasts based on how you drive it, and don't try to destroy it intentionally, you'll probably be happy.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:41 AM
my house has wheels on it

thanks for the responses guys.

and yes the car does have some weight on it, it has about 400 lbs of audio equipment added to it, full interior, and i weigh in at 300+

should i be scared of hurting the tranny with this thing?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrokeAssWhiteboy)

If you sell the B-series and go turbo D, yes you should worry about the transmission.

If you have slopped out suspension, and plan to experience wheelhop to the fullest, that will destroy any FWD transmission.

As things go, B-series gearboxes are pretty stout from the factory. The Nissan guys hate us for it... if they had decent gearboxes, the Sentra would reign supreme as King Dick of FWD.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i drove a 4 puck for 3 years, cm stage 4. it wore out on me. now have a twin disc. but it isnt my daily.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive on a FX500 in my CRX almost daily. For being cable actuated its very easy on the leg. Easier than my old ACT. Sometimes I chatter it but its just the learning curve of the 4-puck. It grabs like a motha though! BTW I am putting down 276 torque.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a 4 puck but a exedy 3 puck. the pedal feel is firm, and the engagement is a little harsh compare to stock
Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (rudebwoy)

I had the ACT XTSS runing 10psi in my GSR with 274whp/180tq.

I built the motor and ran same psi now made 311whp/295 tq, in about 6 months the clutch was done for, but it held up pretty good to this abuse over a year and a halft total.

Now I bought a 6 puck cause now my whp is around 400 and tq is above 320 which is what the XTSS was rated for. I've heard the 6 puck is a little easier on your tranny then the 4, just depends on power goals. Mine are pretty stout and I'm only gonna need the 6 puck.

This is my only car...I drive it everyday, everwhere.